Movies: Favourite movies at sea

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What are some of your favourite movies at sea? Definition is pretty simple here, plot has to take place predominantly at sea, meaning if you're on an island all the time (say 1963 version Lord of the Flies) surrounded by sea then that's a no. Genre doesn't matter, meaning animated films are okay.

Also, you get bonus points for laying out additional personal plot you would like to sea see materialised.

MV5BZGEzYTQ0NDktZWM5Ny00MTViLTg0Y2MtZmMyZDYzNTc4MTljXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MTY5Njcz._V1_.jpg

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A few: Captain Blood was the first film that came to mind although my favorite pirate film is probably The Black Pirate. There is a shot in the scene where Douglas Fairbanks takes over a pirate ship by himself that has been copied to a bunch of films since. Hitchcock's Lifeboat is well done even if it was filmed in a water tank. I'd have to re-watch the Titanic films to decide which one I liked best, although it's probably A Night to Remember.

Sub films:

Crimson Tide
Das Boot
Destination Tokyo
The Enemy Below
Morning Departure

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Some of which I like are

Kon-Tiki (2012) by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg. This film is pretty boring plot wise (especially if you already know the story) but the ocean is gorgeous and the score is nice as well.

Thunderball (1965) by Terence Young. Prime-ass Sean Connery just snorkelling around Bahamas, presumably trying to intervene a nuclear disaster.

Little Toot (1948) by [a bunch of people]. Just very wholesome.

Porco Rosso (1992) by Hayao Miyazaki. You could say this is a film about planes or flying machines, or about love or whatever, but most of the film actually takes place in or around the Adriatic Sea, and the interplay between the sea and the sky is what gives this picture a lot of its dreamy atmosphere, IMO.

Dead Calm (1989) by Phillip Noyce. Probably one of the worst/most corny endings to a film ever, but hey you can't beat late 80s Nicole Kidman, and she's in this film.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lifeboat
Leviathan (documentary)
Das Boot
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Mutiny on the Bounty (Gable and Laughton)
Mutiny on the Bounty (Brando and Howard)
Mutiny on the Bounty (Gibson and Hopkins)
The Hunt for Red October
Run Silent, Run Deep
Tie: Storm Surfers 3D, Endless Summer

Reactions: Osprey

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Master & Commander - I remember watching those "historian reviews movie scenes" videos and they always rave about how historically accurate that movie was.

Life of Pi
The Perfect Storm

Reactions: x Tame Impala

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
open-uri20150422-12561-1givdux_c0e35a77.jpeg

Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) doesn't get enough love.

Master and Commander has become so well regarded these days, I'm surprised Hollywood isn't trying to reboot it. It's the ultimate Dad movie.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Master and Commander is an excellent suggestion. It has some of the best sound mixing/editing as well, often one of the most recommended films for demoing in home theatre systems.

Das Boot would get my vote for best though. I think it is one of the best films ever, not just among those set at sea.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad