Favorite Late Night TV Personality

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It was just such a letdown for me because I had been watching Conan for years at 12:30 and would laugh so hard I had tears streaming down my face. I was excited he was getting The Tonight Show, but I thought it could have been so much better.
I completely agree with that. He fell off a cliff, but I still wouldn't say he outright sucked, especially compared to what we have now.

I can't count how many belly laughs I had from 12:30 Conan throughout my childhood. Writer's strike Conan was on fire.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
1. John Oliver
2. Jimmy Kimmel

3. Jimmy Fallon

Never had any interest for Conan.

Trevor Noah is cool, a bit up and down.

Colbert is good sometimes, but mostly I don't have his humor and his comedy timing is just odd at times.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Colbert Report was brilliant but it clearly took its toll on him and he had to mellow out a bit.

I'd say it was probably consistently my favourite late night show, though Jon Stewart's peak cast (Mo Rocca, Ed Helms, Stephen Colbert, Rob Corddry, Steve Carell etc.) was an all-star presentation that sadly only lasted for a short time.

If I go more traditional late night, it was David Letterman for me. Kimmel probably now.

I thought the old Conan stuff was a bit more edgy and brave, but it's still worth watching his Youtube clips (like his video game reviews or when he goes out on the town with Kevin Hart and Ice Cube, or joins Tinder with Dave Franco).

I'll watch Trevor Noah from time to time. He's not up to the standard of his predecessors but he's improving.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched TDS religiously from like 2000 (or whenever the Comedy Network in Canada picked it up which was before 9/11) until Stewart left. I tried giving Noah a chance but the show got significantly dumber. More low brow humor and more cheap clapter.

Colbert Report I may have literally watched every single episode that ever aired.

As for current late night hosts, Seth Meyers' 'A Closer Look' segments are great, but I just watch em on YouTube. Colbert is boring and extremely predictable. Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show is an embarrassment to comedy. Fallon did a bit with Porg memes several months ago that I watched and it genuinely pissed me off the way they were literally just printing out images of very bad and not funny memes and showing them on network television. It was like when a grandparent thinks something is funny and calls you over to their computer screen and you say "hah" and walk away stone faced.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
David Letterman. The whole lot of them pale in comparison. Conan O'Brien has his moments but that's about it. That segment he did with Hunter S. Thompson is fantastic though. Thompson screaming randomly as he looks for his lighter is laugh out loud funny.

I think I struggle with artform as a whole because the limitations are just too great. There's no way for anyone to really go off the traveled path and keeping the studio's backing.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think the Late Night landscape has ever been worse, at least in my lifetime. Just a massive hole after Letterman/Ferguson moved on.

I'll always love Conan though, it isn't even remotely close between him and everyone else at the moment IMO. Likable, quick witted, good interviewer, and legitimately funny.

I think Colbert has the potential to be a good host, but he just lets Trump dictate what he does. Myers is the same way, except he's talentless. Kimmel has gone the same way a little bit as well.

I think Corden is likable enough, I just don't find him particularly funny.

Not even gonna talk about Fallon, just absolutely awful.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fallon, Cordry, Myers, Noah, and Wilmore are all pretty terrible, unfunny, and are for the most part pretty unlikeable as well. I DESPISE Cordry.

I love Colbert in general, but even he feels like a hack in this role for some reason.

While I enjoyed Conan & Ferguson's antics and respect Johnny Carson, Letterman is still the only guy to ever elevate the format into anything great, IMO.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
The Colbert Report was one of my all time favourites, I only missed a few episodes during its tenure.... He was so sharp & quick witted. Colbert's Late Show is sooooo lazy.

I miss the character of Stephen Colbert & how he used to absolutely own his guests by making the smartest jokes about them.

The material THAT character could be coming up with about this administration would be GOLD!

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Kimmel is a joke, he's Chuckie Schumer's talking piece. He's also the biggest hypocrite alive when he had a show where he allowed women to grab his junk and such. When did he become Mr. morality?

It's all garbage now, the scrupts are written for them, it's not their own material. Nobody is good now, I'd still take Leno over any of these guys.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Fallon, Cordry, Myers, Noah, and Wilmore are all pretty terrible, unfunny, and are for the most part pretty unlikeable as well. I DESPISE Cordry.

I love Colbert in general, but even he feels like a hack in this role for some reason.

While I enjoyed Conan & Ferguson's antics and respect Johnny Carson, Letterman is still the only guy to ever elevate the format into anything great, IMO.

They are all hacks. They all have material written for them by a group of writers and the audeience is told when to laugh and all.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Colbert Report was one of my all time favourites, I only missed a few episodes during its tenure.... He was so sharp & quick witted. Colbert's Late Show is sooooo lazy.

I miss the character of Stephen Colbert & how he used to absolutely own his guests by making the smartest jokes about them.

The material THAT character could be coming up with about this administration would be GOLD!

He sold out. He probably had some control on the Colbert Report. Now hes just a corporate hack. Big difference between being on CBS and Comedy Central. Theres nothing creative about these shows. They are all saying the same thing but in a different presentation. There's no originality. You do what the network wants or they will can you. They are desperate now though, nobody watches this shit anymore.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Haven't paid attention since Craig Ferguson left. He was maybe the only one who wasn't iterating on the tired conventions of the genre, or trying to make dumb**** videos to show up on the front page of Youtube.

Yeah, I liked him too. Never cared for his acting but he wasn't following the herd and bashing everything.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Colbert's show is centered on politics.

Most of his segments involve the discussion of the current presidential election. He offers a humorous spin to the kind of political news you would find on networks such as CNN.

He also relates better to the geek crowd than the other late night hosts. Neil Tyson is a regular guest on the show, for example. Some segments have involved debates about fictional characters. His show is tailored for a young, educated audience. Kimmel, on the other hand, has mocked the Let's Play concept and been disrespectful with regards to numerous issues, while Conan is not particularly knowledgeable about topics that millennials relate to. O'Brien's show is no longer as amusing as it once was either. His guests now carry the show's humor, while the remotes are few and far between. Fallon's show revolves around game segments, he isn't very funny, and he also comes across as not being very genuine as a person; this has resulted in some backlash to his show from younger audiences. James Corden and Seth Myers' shows, meanwhile, are boring -- neither of them have any presence or personality.

Craig Ferguson was the best late night host of the past decade. In Canada, Conan airs on CTV, and when Ferguson was on, Conan would air the following hour. It was easy to tune in to a double-header of The Late Late Show and Conan. Since the change in scheduling last year, I have found myself tuning in more frequently to Colbert's show than any of the others'.

It's difficult to stay connected with Conan, as the content on the show's YouTube channel has been geoblocked in Canada.

Colbert doesn't even try anymore. I could picture Myers being for the geeky crowd. But I have a bias against him, he helped ruin That 70s Show.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
All time easily Carson. Was watching a few clips today of him on YouTube.

Currently Conan.

Sep 19, 2008
Conan's Japan special came out. Conan is also shortening his show to 30 minutes. It's been no secret I don't like TBS Conan and NBC Conan was MUCH better so hopefully he can re-find some of what made him successful in the first place

Sep 19, 2008
Right now it's probably

Colbert

Kimmel

Conan

Noah

Bee

Irrelevant Guy Who Took Over For Larry Whitmore

Fallon :laugh:

Also I don't see the appeal on Bee. Someone said Bee was good but it was 2 years ago. today Bee is just mediocre at best and being in hot water lately doesn't help her image.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad