Favorite defenseman projected to go between picks 5-14

Favorite defenseman between picks 5-14

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Silayev is signed in the K until the end of the 25-26 season. Do you guys think that will cause him to maybe slip a bit since the team that drafts him won't have control of his development etc etc?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Silayev is signed in the K until the end of the 25-26 season. Do you guys think that will cause him to maybe slip a bit since the team that drafts him won't have control of his development etc etc?
I don't, if he was going to slip it would be just the Russian usual slip. 2 years extra in Russia wouldn't be to bad, especially since he seems to have the teams/coaches confidence in him and will stay in the KHL and not be moved down to the MHL like demidov or demoted and then loaned like michkov.

Reactions: landshark

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I don't, if he was going to slip it would be just the Russian usual slip. 2 years extra in Russia wouldn't be to bad, especially since he seems to have the teams/coaches confidence in him and will stay in the KHL and not be moved down to the MHL like demidov or demoted and then loaned like michkov.
Interesting. How many spots is "the Russian usual slip" like Michky dropping from maybe 2 or 3 OA to 7? So maybe like slipping 1 to 5 slots?

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I'm a little surprised Dickinson isn't getting more love. I feel like he's a good in between guy in that you're getting a good amount of offensive skill, but in a bigger body than Buium or Parekh. Most of what he gets downgraded on judgment, which you kinda expect from a young player who isn't a consensus top pick.

If I'm rating the guys in order from the poll, I'd probably go Silayev, Buium, Dickinson, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Jiricek.

• Wow

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
So, what happens if Zeev Buium goes 13th overall and we get a no-namer?
If Buium drops to 13th, MG will be walking to that Minnesota table himself and make an offer for that pick. At least I hope so. It's no brainer trade up, only worry I have is that Minnesota will be celebrating like winning the lottery at that point, with no one getting even a sniff at that pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Interesting. How many spots is "the Russian usual slip" like Michky dropping from maybe 2 or 3 OA to 7? So maybe like slipping 1 to 5 slots?
Different situation there. Michkov wouldn’t even talk to most of the teams. Only two in the top 7 that it sounded like he would be interested in were Chicago and Philly.

Could Silayev do the same? Absolutely but at this moment I don’t think it makes sense to speculate that will happen.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Different situation there. Michkov wouldn’t even talk to most of the teams. Only two in the top 7 that it sounded like he would be interested in were Chicago and Philly.

Could Silayev do the same? Absolutely but at this moment I don’t think it makes sense to speculate that will happen.

Interesting. I wonder if that was known about Michkov pre-draft/pre-draft-interviews...

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
For me it goes*

Buium
Parekh
Yakemchuk
Silayev
Dickinson
Jiricek

If we get one of the first 5 at 14, I would be over the moon.

*subject to change, will make my final rankings after getting the EP draft guide.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Interesting conundrum. What combination of traits do you value?
  • Skating? Edge work? First step? Top speed? Backwards skating?
  • Passing? Vision? Accuracy? Under Pressure?
  • Positioning?
  • Stickhandling?
  • Compete? Consistency? Low error-proneness?
  • Physicality? Injury history?

1. Do you go for the most elite offense, with no defense? Parekh
  2. Do you want offensive first, but at least passable D? Buium > Yakemchuk > Freij > Kiviharju/Mews
  3. Do you want true two-way? Dickinson > Solberg/Jiricek > Brunicke
  4. Do you want defensive first, but at least passable offense? Silayev > Emery > Badinka/Shuravin > Ustinkov (Note: All are seen as shutdown D, but with offensive potential and a good outlet pass.)
  5. Do you want the most elite defense, with no offense? Elick > Skahan
Personally I feel I can slot category 3 in anywhere, the more the merrier.
I'd like having one of category 2 on each of my first two pairings.
Category 4, would be great to fill out the remaining slots.
That said having one of category 5 instead might come cheaper for your cap, and can also be drafted later. They might also just complement category 2 guys just fine.

I'd probably tier them this way:
  • Buium, Dickinson, Silayev,
  • Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Parekh - And I feel the two big risers, Solberg & Emery, also belong in this tier.
While we need to go BPA of course, I would really hope we end getting at least 2 Ds with our 14,33,42 picks without having to reach.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
  • Positioning?
  • Stickhandling?

2. Do you want offensive first, but at least passable D? Buium > Yakemchuk > Freij > Kiviharju/Mews
  4. Do you want defensive first, but at least passable offense? Silayev > Emery > Badinka/Shuravin > Ustinkov (Note: All are seen as shutdown D, but with offensive potential and a good outlet pass.)
That said having one of category 5 instead might come cheaper for your cap, and can also be drafted later. They might also just complement category 2 guys just fine.

• Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Parekh - And I feel the two big risers, Solberg & Emery, also belong in this tier.
While we need to go BPA of course, I would really hope we end getting at least 2 Ds with our 14,33,42 picks without having to reach.
Excellent analysis.

Reactions: NiWa

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
  • Positioning?
  • Stickhandling?

One additional bonus--as if we need any!--of getting the #1 pick in a draft where that pick is so obvious is that this means Grier and the Sharks' scouting team don't have to waste any time researching for that pick. That means they can put more time and energy into 14 and all the subsequent picks, which means really putting in the hours to figure this out, with 14 now as the #1 priority.

Like maybe that extra time they can spend on this pick will mean they do figure that Solberg is a superior option to some of these other guys. I have no idea if that is the case, but if they do end up going that way, I'm going to assume A LOT of work went into trying to figure that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad