Favorite defenseman projected to go between picks 5-14

Favorite defenseman between picks 5-14

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I DON'T KNOW YET AND I THINK SOLBERG SHOULD BE ON THE LIST TOO!

#NotHotTake

Is this Sharks board the only fan base high on Zeev? The experts don't list him very high, so I wonder how he ranks for other fanbases.
I think fans in general are higher on him than prospect evaluators. Maybe they're slow to adapt or we're just reacting to his Frozen Four too strongly.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
My heart says Zeev but the brain goes for Silayev. Zeev seems like a lot of fun but it is so easy to see a scenario where Zeev is unable to be an elite defensemen while with Silayev I'd be surprised if he didn't become a shutdown defensemen.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Parekh has the highest potential of Dmen in this draft and is absolutely the most fun. He’s by far my favorite Dman of the draft. He’s in my top 5 players.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Silayev is not a flashy pick but he's the safest bet to be a lockdown top-6 defensive dman who covers half the ice himself. That's worst case too...if he fills out that 6'7 frame and can develop some offense he's a heavy hitting victor hedman. Basically Chara.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Silayev is not a flashy pick but he's the safest bet to be a lockdown top-6 defensive dman who covers half the ice himself. That's worst case too...if he fills out that 6'7 frame and can develop some offense he's a heavy hitting victor hedman. Basically Chara.
I was ready to lobby hard for him at 2nd overall.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I was ready to lobby hard for him at 2nd overall.
He's not scoring like Buium and Parekh but he's playing regular minutes as a 17 year old in the KHL. A lot of people don't want their teams to draft him cause he's not flashy but he is what every single team and GM in the NHL want. A big defenseman who skates well.

Reactions: Star Platinum

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Defense wins championships. I haven’t watched enough of any of these defenseman to vote in this poll but I sure hope we stick to picking defenseman who are committed to actually playing defense.

Reactions: Munnyro

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Defense wins championships. I haven’t watched enough of any of these defenseman to vote in this poll but I sure hope we stick to picking defenseman who are committed to actually playing defense.
Silayev is almost certainly the best pure defender of all the top defense prospects, plus he's huge. He fits the prototype of an NHL top defensive defensemen. The others (in this poll at least) are varying levels of offense combined with at least one thing (if not more) that would give a GM pause in projecting them as defenders.

But he's very unlikely to fall very far past the #4 pick and may even be taken as high as #2. The only reason he's a wild card for this draft is that as highly regarded as he is, he's been all over the map in mocks because people really like to go for guys that look like they have a chance to be #1 offensive d-men and he's not that.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Out of the 12 prospect rankings on eliteprospects, only 2 have him in the top 5, and 6 in the top 10.

One of the best and usually most spot on in this regards for where players actually get picked has him 9th.

So the whole why is he even a question out of the top 5, is actually based on real projections, not just your overly loud thoughts on every subject.
He’s 3rd on McKenzie’s latest list which is a poll of actual NHL scouts who will be deciding on the picks in real life. Not some internet scout power ranking.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He’s 3rd on McKenzie’s latest list which is a poll of actual NHL scouts who will be deciding on the picks in real life. Not some internet scout power ranking.
Yeah McKenzie is the one I look to, but post was edited as I read someone else in your qouted.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The only 2 prospect rankings that have barely any merit at all are Mckenzie and Pronman. Pronman is to a wayyyy lesser extent, but they are the 2 analysts that actually use NHL-team sources to base their rankings. Pronman uses his own preference as a slight influence, where as Mckenzie is purely NHL scouts.

Any other rankings is internet scouts personal preferences. If you want to try and guess/mock how draft day looks, these are the 2 rankings to look at.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i think Silayev is going top 3, so if he somehow dropped to 5 that'd definitely be my pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad