OT: Fatal bus crash in Westboro

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Bus crash at Ottawa's Westboro station fatal, police chief confirms | CBC News
Some people were killed and many more injured when an OC Transpo bus slammed into a bus shelter at Westboro station at the start of Friday afternoon rush hour, Ottawa police say.
The single-vehicle collision involving the westbound 269 bus to Kanata happened on the Transitway around 3:50 p.m.
Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau confirmed around 6 p.m. there were "some fatalities," but did not say how many or whether those killed were on board the bus at the time of the crash.
Before the chief's remarks, police said at least 17 people were injured in the crash.

Hope everyone here is safe.

EDIT: More info in the Citizen here

Three dead in double-decker bus crash at Westboro Station, 23 others injured

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They detained the bus driver.

One person dead on the platform and two dead on the bus.

I thought for sure this would be a case where the driver had a medical incident but if they detained him and brought him in for an interview... WTF? How do you ram at bus shelter like that?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This story does not add up at all. My guess is that there is going to be a lot more to come about the driver and the circumstances surrounding this incident. What a horrible tragedy...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This story does not add up at all. My guess is that there is going to be a lot more to come about the driver and the circumstances surrounding this incident. What a horrible tragedy...

It does seem like the driver is more of a suspect than a fellow victim.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
They detained the bus driver.

One person dead on the platform and two dead on the bus.

I thought for sure this would be a case where the driver had a medical incident but if they detained him and brought him in for an interview... WTF? How do you ram at bus shelter like that?

Apparantley it's a her btw. But yeah very strange how this could just happen without other factors being involved.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Terrifying stuff. I was on the 91 eastbound and we went through there like 5 minutes after it happened. No first responders at that time. I was sitting up top on the right side, 3 rows from the front. I had my head buried in my phone and looked over and saw the wreckage just as we had stopped. f***ed.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
An eyewitness said one of the people outside of the bus, on the road motionless, was dressed in military uniform. Horrific.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The bus driver has been arrested. This suggests terrorism or at the least on purpose. I am awaiting news of her age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Could be a "simple" case of DUI as opposed to anything more nefarious.

Of course, my reasoning is based on the fact that if she were that impaired it would have been noticed before slamming into a transfer station. You could be right, doesn't pass the smell test to me right now.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
The bus driver has been arrested. This suggests terrorism or at the least on purpose. I am awaiting news of her age.

Lets not get carried away here. This does not suggest that it was in any way "on purpose".

It could just be that speeding was a possibility. Witnesses have stated the bus appeared out of control before it crashed (one stated there was snow/ice on the transitway).

Last edited by a moderator:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Of course, my reasoning is based on the fact that if she were that impaired it would have been noticed before slamming into a transfer station. You could be right, doesn't pass the smell test to me right now.

The problem is the police chief kept his response much too vague which is leading people to speculate on their own. I honestly feel like it might be more of an impairment issue than intentional malice.

Reactions: The Lewler

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The problem is the police chief kept his response much too vague which is leading people to speculate on their own. I honestly feel like it might be more of an impairment issue than intentional malice.
Agreed. Could be anything, maybe she was checking her cell phone, who knows. Let's let the police do their job and avoid jumping to conclusions .

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Whats weird is that bus didn't stop there and was heading to Kanata. If that was the case the bus should have been in the other lane to pass by the station.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Scary stuff. I still don't know why they even bought those double deckers. There are too many places int eh city where those buses can't go.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Scary stuff. I still don't know why they even bought those double deckers. There are too many places int eh city where those buses can't go.

It's blatantly obvious why they bought them. They bought them because the downtown Transitway is clogged and need to be able to transport more people in less space and double deckers are the obvious way to do it. They don't need to go everywhere in the city - just the Transitway.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Interesting some people immediately tried to paint a terrorism angle.

This doesnt really fit the usual offender profile for that type of act.

In my humble experience this screams impaired.

It's been a looooong time since I've been on the transitway, but isn't that area the stretch where drivers go a bazillion miles per hour? Hit a bit of ice and who knows what could happen. And I'm not blaming the driver here...they're under very tight timelines and virtually all drivers try to make up time whenever they can.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's been a looooong time since I've been on the transitway, but isn't that area the stretch where drivers go a bazillion miles per hour? Hit a bit of ice and who knows what could happen. And I'm not blaming the driver here...they're under very tight timelines and virtually all drivers try to make up time whenever they can.

It's more for the responding patrol officers to arrest her at the scene and the chiefs comments mean to me something was fairly readily apparent immediately.

So either officers were able to observe something (obvious impairment) or the (soon to be) accused said something which gave grounds to arrest.

If you showed up and she was saying the bus hit the ice and I lost control, the chief wouldn't be saying "there was something that caused us to arrest her and bring her to the station."

If shes impaired shes getting arrested and transported to the station for a breath analysis (aka breathalyzer / intoxilyzer) or an evaluation by a drug recognition expert .

I could be totally off base of course. She could have said something that indicated intent and malice with no impairment and was arrested for that.

Bottom line is terrorism would have RCMP involvement by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

So, the driver at the Falllowfield incident was distracted or impaired or whatnot.
Doubt there's some nefarious plot to hijack a double-decker OC Transpo and crash it miles from downtown.

May the families find some semblance of normalcy amid the chaos, that's the important thing here.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad