GDT: Fat, washed, slow with bad hip Swedish center vs best goal scorer in the game who will definitely hit 65 goals on the season, 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I really feel this should be Samsonovs last game for the Caps. Send him to the minors or bench him and bring out Copley. Pretty much all of the goals he let in today were bad. Toronto played very well and the Caps didn't but Samsonov just dropped the ball here. As usual.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really feel this should be Samsonovs last game for the Caps. Send him to the minors or bench him and bring out Copley. Pretty much all of the goals he let in today were bad. Toronto played very well and the Caps didn't but Samsonov just dropped the ball here. As usual.
Did you miss the part where Toronto immediately shelled Vanecek the same way they had done to Samsonov? This was a complete outclassing, not about the play in net.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Leonsis: 22 years of owning the Caps, 12 owning Les Boulez. 1 championship = 1/34 success rate. Just about average considering the number of teams in each league.
He may not be a crappy owner a la Angelos or Snyder, but he's no management wizard (excuse the term).
He'll be happy to sell us an average team that makes the 'loffs more often than it does not, blessed by a "Fall In Your Lap" superstar who will help sell tickets and jerseys as he strives to set the league career goal record.
No managerial genius from Mr. AOL involved in what's happened here.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I really feel this should be Samsonovs last game for the Caps. Send him to the minors or bench him and bring out Copley. Pretty much all of the goals he let in today were bad. Toronto played very well and the Caps didn't but Samsonov just dropped the ball here. As usua
That would leave us with VV..who was worse

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Did you miss the part where Toronto immediately shelled Vanecek the same way they had done to Samsonov? This was a complete outclassing, not about the play in net.

No that happened. As i said, Toronto played well. but the goals scored on Vitek were decent quality chances like a 2 on 1 etc. Two of the goals scored on Sammy were unscreened slapshots and one was him sitting on his ass trying to find the puck which eventually slowly glided of his backside into the net. At the time, he was looking for the puck on the other side of the net.

Even the saves he did make he left a lot of super-dangerous rebounds. He's just not an NHL level goaltender in all. His sub .900 save percentage is evidence of that.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
That would leave us with VV..who was worse

He definitely wasn't. It's not just about how many goals you let in, it's about the quality of the chances. Sammy let in TWO unscreened slapshots and fumbled pucks all night. The goals against Vanecek were pretty skilled play by Mikheyev, a 2 on 1 etc. Huge difference. Granted the Caps sucked all over but Vanecek would have stopped the Nylander and Lyubushkin goals at least im pretty sure.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
No that happened. As i said, Toronto played well. but the goals scored on Vitek were decent quality chances like a 2 on 1 etc. Two of the goals scored on Sammy were unscreened slapshots and one was him sitting on his ass trying to find the puck which eventually slowly glided of his backside into the net. At the time, he was looking for the puck on the other side of the net.

Even the saves he did make he left a lot of super-dangerous rebounds. He's just not an NHL level goaltender in all. His sub .900 save percentage is evidence of that.

Vitek is not athletic..he is a nice minor league goal tender. Why do u think Lavi keeps playing Sammy? Both goalies have problems. Sammy is big and athletic. I think both are the victim of sub par goalie coaching.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Vitek is not athletic..he is a nice minor league goal tender. Why do u think Lavi keeps playing Sammy? Both goalies have problems. Sammy is big and athletic. I think both are the victim of sub par goalie coaching.

Sammy might be more athletic but he uses it to flop around, jump out of the crease and such. Vitek at this point is clearly superior. If you don't believe me, look at their stats. Vanecek has about average (27th/58 SV% and 15th/58 GAA) NHL goaltender stats whilst Sammy (47th/58 SV% 35th/58 in GAA) has the stats of a pretty poor backup keeper. Vanecek is not an elite NHL goaltender by any means but he can be trusted to save unscreened slapshots from the point in 999/1000 cases. Sammy can not.

Also, remember how Ovi told Sammy not to sleep in last years playoffs? He lost us that elimination game. He will surely do so this year again. So even though Vanecek doesn't really win us games, at least he doesn't lose them for us.

And the size difference between them is 1 inch and 16 lbs. Not really a relevant factor here.

Fucale has only played 4 games but has better stats than both so might be worth giving him a shot in they playoffs. The excitement and team effort that would bring might win us a game or two.

But no more Sammy, please. He equals a first round sweep for sure.

Last edited:

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
He definitely wasn't. It's not just about how many goals you let in, it's about the quality of the chances. Sammy let in TWO unscreened slapshots and fumbled pucks all night. The goals against Vanecek were pretty skilled play by Mikheyev, a 2 on 1 etc. Huge difference. Granted the Caps sucked all over but Vanecek would have stopped the Nylander and Lyubushkin goals at least im pretty sure.
sure,,,ok,,,whatever. Soo many excuses for VV but ok..he sucked sorry

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Yet sammy wins more..i guess the team plays better in front of him

Yeah he has 4 more wins in 2 more games. Whopee! If you think a goalie with a +3.00 GAA and a sub .900 save percentage has a chance in the playoffs (especially against the Panthers) i don't know what to tell you.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Yes. The excuses are that Vanny normally plays at the level of an average NHL goaltender. Sammy does not. Neither were great today but there is a clear difference in their level of play.
Im pretty sure Lavi is hoping sammy will find it before the playoffs. To me the last few games i think he has actually looked better in some respect. He stopped doing the scorpion thank god. That was so 20 years ago. What goalie coach allows a goalie to still do that? He has been more calm in the net..which is a start. But yeah neither goalie is shit to be honest

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Yeah he has 4 more wins in 2 more games. Whopee! If you think a goalie with a +3.00 GAA and a sub .900 save percentage has a chance in the playoffs (especially against the Panthers) i don't know what to tell you.
If you look at his career his stats are basically the same throughout and he still wins..but neither goalie is good enough for the playoffs as they are. But regular season he has always won

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Im pretty sure Lavi is hoping sammy will find it before the playoffs. To me the last few games i think he has actually looked better in some respect. He stopped doing the scorpion thank god. That was so 20 years ago. What goalie coach allows a goalie to still do that? He has been more calm in the net..which is a start. But yeah neither goalie is shit to be honest

Yeah that might be Lavi's hope but after this game i think Sammy is done. Both the quality of play and the untimeliness of it. Won't hold up.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Yeah that might be Lavi's hope but after this game i think Sammy is done. Both the quality of play and the untimeliness of it. Won't hold up.
he isnt done because vv came in and did nothing as well...but yet the team is easily in the playoffs..old team..many inuries...slow as shit team...crappy goal tending..honestly goalies struggle all over the league..speed, equipment, rules that favor offense. So maybe we have a slight chance of winning a game against the Panthers

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Dude you are completely off. If you go with Copley over Sammy, the goaltending would be far worse! I'm critical of Sammy/VV, but tonight the team terribly stunk in front of their goalies! Let us not forget, our best d-man Orlov did not play tonight! Leafs had so much speed, space and time to get off their best shots and score goals. I might add, neither Sammy/VV fared well facing the Leafs earlier in the season. With some teams goalies have a bad game against them every time they face that same team. I remember Olaf Kolzig always had bad games against the Leafs when the Caps played in Toronto.

I would say, even if you had vet goalie like Fleury playing for the Caps tonight, the Caps still would have lost to the Leafs, something like 5-3 instead of 7-3.

The Caps got caught into playing the speed/run n gun game of the Leafs, and lost badly.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The scorpion save technique, no goalie coach teaches that. It's an instinct attempt by the goalie at making a desperate save attempt! Hasek made it an art, but over the years Quick was known to do it. Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky or Fleury are probably the only goalies that would even attempt to try that technique in a desperate situation.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I have news for you. VV could get smoked as much as Sammy, even though VV plays a more controlled/calm type of game! If the Caps face the Panthers in the playoffs, the team will have to strongly support Sammy/VV. The Team will have to find a way to slow down the Panthers, while one of our goalies needs to come up with some big saves. Team Defense can defeat high powered offensive teams, if the coaching/players execute the game plan smartly.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes. The excuses are that Vanny normally plays at the level of an average NHL goaltender. Sammy does not. Neither were great today but there is a clear difference in their level of play.
Sammy can display the same skill set that top goalies in the league have, but he hasn't shown to have the consistency that top goalies have. VV is still a backup/1b goalie and will always be that way.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Sammy can display the same skill set that top goalies in the league have, but he hasn't shown to have the consistency that top goalies have. VV is still a backup/1b goalie and will always be that way.
Yea, his first round pedigree will always give him more chances to take the job. But his inconsistencies are gonna kill this team. John Carlson’s face said it all tonight. The reason he ends up doing the scorpion is because he is always flopping on his stomach.

Once I see Sammy hit the ice, and there’s a mass of players battling around the crease, I’m just counting the seconds until the other teams’ sticks are in the air - it’s automatic at this point.

Both Sammy and VV gave up unscreened shots from the top of the circle this week, where they took a bad angle (VV did this against BOS). So I’m not sure it’s automatic that VV makes the save on the second goal tonight.

However, at this point, I’ll take the 1b goalie in VV (who actually has a respectable SV%) because at least you know what you’re getting. He plays calmer and more within himself IMHO.

I’d love to see either guy or both of them play excellent enough to be an unquestioned NHL starter - I have no horse in this race, except what will work best for the team. Sammy killed us last postseason, and I would just rather see VV down the stretch.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yea, his first round pedigree will always give him more chances to take the job. But his inconsistencies are gonna kill this team. John Carlson’s face said it all tonight. The reason he ends up doing the scorpion is because he is always flopping on his stomach.

Once I see Sammy hit the ice, and there’s a mass of players battling around the crease, I’m just counting the seconds until the other teams’ sticks are in the air - it’s automatic at this point.

Both Sammy and VV gave up unscreened shots from the top of the circle this week, where they took a bad angle (VV did this against BOS). So I’m not sure it’s automatic that VV makes the save on the second goal tonight.

However, at this point, I’ll take the 1b goalie in VV (who actually has a respectable SV%) because at least you know what you’re getting. He plays calmer and more within himself IMHO.

I’d love to see either guy or both of them play excellent enough to be an unquestioned NHL starter - I have no horse in this race, except what will work best for the team. Sammy killed us last postseason, and I would just rather see VV down the stretch.
I don't care what VV numbers are, he should not be a playoff starter unless the other goalie is injured or struggling really bad. Goalies who just play it safe, which is exactly the type of goalie VV is, will just come up short for the team in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad