Fasth or Hiller

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He's not exactly coming out of nowhere, as he has been referred to as the best goalie playing in Europe for quite some time.
Don't forget where Hiller comes from.

And I guess the answer to this question depends on Hillers play. I don't expect Fasths numbers to decrease drastically (something around .92 / 2.1-2.3 GAA would be what I expect from him), so Hiller definitely needs to improve. But he always was a slow starter and went on a tear in the second half of the season, so I'm not really worried about him.

Since this is a shortened season I think we will see Fasth having about 25-30 starts in the regular season with Hiller playing about 70% of the games in the playoffs.

If the things stay like this or Fasths numbers will come down to the area I predicted, the Ducks have most likely one of the best goalie duos in the league.

I have no idea who eventually will get the highest number of starts this season.

It depends on how Hiller will respond and if Fasth manage to continue his stellar play.

I fully agree though that a high performing goalie duo would be the best for Ducks with both of them playing well.

Fasth is living out his childhood dream right now and thus having tons of motivation and focus. Fasth being a late bloomer is kind if rare too, it has happened before though. Thinking about another goalie having played for AIK, Tim Thomas. In the same way a setback wouldn't be surprising either.

Last edited:

eenok*

saw last season and hiller was bad allower. enough. fasth is better. hes gonna go on an on. team is not gonna let hiller go on an on despite letting in alot goals all the time . this not gonna happen. would be a SCANDAL. right. when playoff begins an fasth has been THEE GOALIE hes gonna carry team , gonna be the teams goalie i think you must understand this

fasth is nr1 here. fasth is been good a loooooong time.fasth is better an he shows it all time. he shows things hiller aint capabel of. hes atletic.

oh..yeah i like swiss chocolate. i think its called toblerone

now bring on vatanen an let the real deal begin. have a nice one:yo:

EENOK ,Hockeyprofessor IL ,Finland

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I don't know why, but I'm not really in the Fasth bandwagon yet. Yes, he plays well and is a good goalie, but I think a lot of it is due to the team in front of him playing very good. Sure he's a part of it, but he's not the reason we're winning right now. He makes the stops he has to keep us in the game, but it isn't like he's stealing games for us like Hiller sometimes does. Fasth seems to let that one easy goal in every second game, but so did Hiller. The only real thing I don't like about Fasth is his stick play. Sometimes he gives some nice Hail Mary passes, but last night in Nashville he gave at least two turnovers by hitting the puck along the borders instead of letting the D take it behind the net.

icebluuu

May 15, 2011
I remember before the vertigo I was pissed at Hiller, because I thought he might win the Vezina over Lundqvist, whom I was cheering for, being a swedish homer. And it's not like Hiller is a scrub now. The most probable scenario is that Hiller starts at least half the games when he returns. I hope Fasth is the number one for the rest of the season, but honestly, that is not likely.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
As long as Fasth manage to keep his saving percentage above 93% it won't be easy for Hiller, I guess we all can agree upon that?

An easy goal every second game or so doesn't matter much as long as he manage to keep himself above 93%.

Fasth is right now establishing himself everywhere on NHL top 10 goalie stats.

It does matter and also puts preassure on Hiller.

Like I have stated many times, the best situation for Ducks would be a high performing goalie duo, I also want Hiller comes back playing well even though I prefer Fasth as number 1.

Last edited:

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
Hiller is the better technical goalie who can make the consistent save. However, he gives up the late goal which always kills this team. Fasth is working on his technique and closing the 5-hole. But he has been good for us and not give up the bad goal like Hiller has a penchant for in so many games...ala playoff against Detroit in 09. Right now, I like the two goalie system but if by the end of the year and management has to decide, the Ducks would be better off going with Fasth. Hiller, I don't see will take us to the Stanley Cup final.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Hiller is the better technical goalie who can make the consistent save. However, he gives up the late goal which always kills this team. Fasth is working on his technique and closing the 5-hole. But he has been good for us and not give up the bad goal like Hiller has a penchant for in so many games...ala playoff against Detroit in 09. Right now, I like the two goalie system but if by the end of the year and management has to decide, the Ducks would be better off going with Fasth. Hiller, I don't see will take us to the Stanley Cup final.

if we have to only keep 1. it's risky to keep fasth. at least in hiller we have a proven goalie. all we need for him is a competent backup.

if fasth fails we have to find a new starting goalie

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
Bolded, what?

Fasthnator

Feb 10, 2013
if we have to only keep 1. it's risky to keep fasth. at least in hiller we have a proven goalie. all we need for him is a competent backup.

if fasth fails we have to find a new starting goalie

Fasth is better than Hiller. It's not even close. And he has proven himself already in Europe.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I have followed his career for years, those 8 games are not all that Im basing my confidence on.

Actually it is. You're ignoring Hiller's entire body of work last year to say he's only going to be as good as he's been this year while saying Fasth will continue to play like he has while ignoring the fact that shooters will start to learn his tendencies and take advantage of them. Hiller in January and February last year was every bit as good as Fasth has been (in back of an inferior defense to boot) and the numbers support that. What Fasth did in Europe is irrelevant - it's a different game with different angles and inferior shooters.

Fasth has been great. But it's way too early to declare him better than Hiller.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Might end up in a not so pleasant situation next year then, because unless the very unlikely scenario where Fasth starts letting in 5 goals a game happens, he'll want a raise. How much is Ducks able to give Fasth in case they'd like to keep both Hiller and Fasth, considering resigning Perry and Getzlaf?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
If Fasth takes over maybe Hiller can go to the SEL to prove himself again, since apparently that's where the proving grounds are.

Why you so mad? You sad? I know you're trolling, but noone has ment being the best goalie in SEL = best goalie in NHL, at least I hope not. Whenever Hiller returns to play, the next 10 games after that will be very interesting.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Might end up in a not so pleasant situation next year then, because unless the very unlikely scenario where Fasth starts letting in 5 goals a game happens, he'll want a raise. How much is Ducks able to give Fasth in case they'd like to keep both Hiller and Fasth, considering resigning Perry and Getzlaf?

Very good question, and likely wont be known until its seen if Hiller can rebound, how much Getzlaf and Perry want, whether Perry gets dealt etc. I can see them ponying up for Fasth if Perry walks, better to have a strong goalie tandem if the team has other holes. Then deal one at the trade deadline if Anderson keeps improving.

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
I am an optimist and hoping that we can keep both Hiller and Fasth next season. Hiller still should be number one, and a 8 game sample size is way too small sample size to determine Fasth beeing superior to Hiller (some people already seem to be ready to push Hiller under a train :D ). Fasth still has some improvements to make in his technics, but I am confident he can overcome those. The style of playing in the NHL is different than in Europe, than it naturally requires some time to adjust..

I love the idea of a having two great goaltenders, who can perhaps split the responsibility close to 50 % - 50 % ? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad