Faster all-time skater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey13

rocky hockey said:
you guys are going to eat me up on this one,

But, i went to many Av's games and Adam Deadmarsh always looked fast skating up the ice !

I don't know where i come up with these things

Actually in the 1996 World Cup Joe Sakic had a semi-break and Deadmarch caught him from behind. While Sakic isn't the fastest, he is by no means slow, and it was about a blueline to redline lead - and I was flabergasted.

I would have to say Mike Gartner, insane wheels. And yes, carrying the puck would have to be Bure.

Also need to give credit to Scott Niedermayer winning the speed race at the last skills competition. He skates so well that the effortlessness takes away some of the credit he should get.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Coffey, Gartner, Bure, Modano, Federov all make the other players look like they are standing still

I'm sure there are more but I don't think your going to find one player that is going to beat too many of these players by too much of a margin. Up at this level your talking fractions of a second

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
RedWingFan said:
Coffey, Gartner, Bure, Modano, Federov all make the other players look like they are standing still

I'm sure there are more but I don't think your going to find one player that is going to beat too many of these players by too much of a margin. Up at this level your talking fractions of a second

Bob Gainey was very fast.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm still suprised no one mentioned Coffey at all. Other than me. He skated effortlessly and Bure LOOKED like he was going fast cause his feet were moving so fast. Coffey looked like he was going slow but he'd blow by the whole team.

Also in today's NHL I think Bouwmeester might be able to be the best rushing defenseman. All someone has to do is tell him how good he can be.

soulok*

Paul Coffey used to catch Mike gartner in 80's!!!! during some washington edmonton games thats just how goddam good he was

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Big Phil said:
I'm still suprised no one mentioned Coffey at all. Other than me. He skated effortlessly and Bure LOOKED like he was going fast cause his feet were moving so fast. Coffey looked like he was going slow but he'd blow by the whole team.

Also in today's NHL I think Bouwmeester might be able to be the best rushing defenseman. All someone has to do is tell him how good he can be.

Watching Coffey turn the Hawks' forecheck with ease in the '83(?) semis was dumbfounding.
I read later that he had the skate guy give him much less hollow in his blade (more like a goalie skate), and less of an end-to-end radius, which made his skates more like a speedskater's. So he'd take the risk of losing footing in tight quarters for this open-ice advantage. Seemeds to work pretty well for him, but had he been a more complete player, he probably would have been forced to compromise on this. Great skater, fun to watch. Happy I got the opportunity to tell him so one night after he played vs. Bruins at Garden in early 90's.

Orr's straight-out speed is underrated because he had a habit of using only what he needed rather than turning on the jets from point A to B. Lemaire said he could always check anyone but couldn't catch Orr. I'm talking '72 and prior, while he could still maneuver to his own established standards.

Other darkhorses in modern Bruins history would include: Don Awrey, Glen Wesley, Ken Linseman and John Gruden.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
along the lines of that coffey story, I saw an interview with brett hull once, when he was on the redwings, and he said that schneider was one of the fastest guys in the league because his legs were so strong.

He then added that schneider also wears a size 12 skate, which acts much like a speedskate when he's moving. It was pretty neat to hear from another player.

pens66

I cannot believe more people are not mentioning bobby orr. But for me personally, Paul Coffey is the most fluid and beautiful skater i've ever seen, and it's just dumbfounding how he blows by everybody making it look so easy at times. If you want to learn how to skate properly, watch Paul Coffey skate, perfect stride and knee bend.

Victory Ali*

The only one I can testify for is Bure... Good god that guy was amazing.

I remember watching a penalty shot of his where they actually had to slow down the tape to show the audience how he scored. It was the one where at full speed he bounced the puck from his skate and back again. That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge to speak of the rest of them.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
SeattleCloutierFan said:
The only one I can testify for is Bure... Good god that guy was amazing.

I remember watching a penalty shot of his where they actually had to slow down the tape to show the audience how he scored. It was the one where at full speed he bounced the puck from his skate and back again. That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge to speak of the rest of them.
Anyone got a link to a video of this goal? I used to have it but I've lost it somewhere...

As for fast guys, I can't go back far but Fedorov, Niedermayer, Bure are my votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad