Fantasy Mock Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
That said, if the goal is to win THIS YEAR wouldn't you want to draft the players that are playing their best hockey in this season?
I would think the best players last year/this year while also taking team into huge consideration. Some great players are stuck on horrible teams (*John Gibson looks out from under the rock hes hiding under right now*) and other players who maybe wouldn’t be stars otherwise are on great teams (looking at you John Carlson)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamilton has always been a terrible defensive player though which for me hurts his value.
I think there's a group of people who think he's bad defensively, but people into analytics think he's a stud, that's what makes this so interesting.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Jamie Benn hasn't played center since 2013, just so everyone knows. He shouldn't be slotted as a center. He does take face-offs but immediately shifts over to wing.
This x10 and he definitely isn’t old Benn anymore either. Still good but... Anyways why, who has Benn I don’t even remember that pick.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I would think the best players last year/this year while also taking team into huge consideration. Some great players are stuck on horrible teams (*John Gibson looks out from under the rock hes hiding under right now*) and other players who maybe wouldn’t be stars otherwise are on great teams (looking at you John Carlson)

........I might have to disagree with you on Carlson. ;). Respectfully of course. Do you have any underlying numbers or evidence to support your theory?

Reactions: hockeynorth

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamilton's defensive game this year was light years better than what we saw in Calgary.
From what I've read from Flames/Canes fans, he's fine as long as his partner is solid defensively, he just can't carry a defensive partner who's average or below average defensively.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I think there's a group of people who think he's bad defensively, but people into analytics think he's a stud, that's what makes this so interesting.
He's not great at the fundamentals of defending, but he's great at tilting the ice so that he doesn't have to defend in the first place.

Reactions: hi and Nucker101

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Stud. If we are considering John Carlson for a Norris than Dougie Hamilton should’ve won if not for his injury IMO.

Reactions: Nucker101

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
My nerdy algorithm is for this season only.

Best average skater rating on a team is 203 and the worst average is 170 (so far). Most teams are in the 180s. They will continue to drop as we keep picking progressively worse players.

Surprisingly, Carolina isn't the best team so far...on the strength of this season only.

#oilerbear

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
........I might have to disagree with you on Carlson. ;). Respectfully of course. Do you have any underlying numbers or evidence to support your theory?
To be fair, it’s largely just personal dislike but (and don’t take this that bad as I mean it respectfully) pass pick to ovie, ovie shoots puck, auto goal. Also his Corsi isn’t great, fenwick is iffy, highish PDO. Good D but think he’s overhyped though it’s mostly me lol

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This is a good discussion. As a fan of a western conference team I largely only remember Hamilton as a member of the flames and pretty much a tire fire on the defencive end.

Gibby

Apr 29, 2010
London, ON
Fot sure, was just defending someone like Zibanejad, where even if he doesn't sustain this scoring pace for a few more seasons, there is no denying he's the league leader in goals per game right now.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Fot sure, was just defending someone like Zibanejad, where even if he doesn't sustain this scoring pace for a few more seasons, there is no denying he's the league leader in goals per game right now.
Oh yeah he’s good, I had him pretty much right above Stamkos in my rankings

edit: but I don’t have faith long term there

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
To be fair, it’s largely just personal dislike but (and don’t take this that bad as I mean it respectfully) pass pick to ovie, ovie shoots puck, auto goal. Also his Corsi isn’t great, fenwick is iffy, highish PDO. Good D but think he’s overhyped though it’s mostly me lol
I tend to agree, that being said I still had him pretty damn high on my list since I'm just trying to draft a team that voters will like lol.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I feel like most people don’t just vote based off of this season even though the goal is to win this year. Most people don’t associate Kessel as a 40 point player because that’s been an outlier of a season compared to his whole career. You also have to consider the make up of our teams. It’s not just about picking the best players from this year.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Oh yeah he’s good, I had him pretty much right above Stamkos in my rankings

edit: but I don’t have faith long term there
I don't expect voters to simply vote based off of this year's performance. I've done 3 of these before and that's definitely not been the case from my experience lol

Reactions: hi

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017

And this is while not playing with Panarin 5v5. He's an elite player in my books, I've been high on him for a while.

Reactions: Gibby

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I feel like most people don’t just vote based off of this season even though the goal is to win this year. Most people don’t associate Kessel as a 40 point player because that’s been an outlier of a season compared to his whole career. You also have to consider the make up of our teams. It’s not just about picking the best players from this year.

All points have been considered! I'm drafting based off the guys I think are the best players, but also the team I personally like most since this is for fun. I'm quite pleased with the team I've drafted to this point :)

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

I don't expect voters to simply vote based off of this year's performance. I've done 3 of these before and that's definitely not been the case from my experience lol
oh god I'm screwed

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Best teams IMO Edmonton, Florida, Boston.

Some good teams without goalies I think that will give them trouble.

Reactions: Blinny

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I looked up and down the teams and it's too early to say what I'll vote - too many holes left to fill including on my own team.

I can already see a few teams I like the direction of more than others but we shall see.

There are 1-2 teams where I loved the start and then felt it went off the rails, but even they have a shot at winning in adding depth.

I'm not also basing all my opinions on what they did with their teams this year - some guys need fresh starts, or better guys around them, or a different role. If it was all just this year's stats, just give me a stats sheet and go down the list.

Reactions: Joey Moss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad