Fan gets lifetime ban for throwing octopus at LCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm willing to guess there may be more to the story that we will never know about that lead to the lifetime ban.

it's technically been a rule for a while dating back to the Joe, just never really been enforced before.
Also i wonder if the NHL also pressured the wings into enforcing this more.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I figured it was a rule somewhere, but one they clearly weren't enforcing. It's kind of like if the league decided to crack down on slashing but didn't inform any of the players before they started calling penalties. It's technically always been a penalty.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Meh, no sympathy from me. This guy wants to make it all about him. "Durr, I was the last to throw one at the Joe and the first to throw one at the LCA". Ohh, you're a part of history and will be talked about for generations. Probably the highlight of his life though, something that he can make sure will be written in his obituary I'm sure.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Meh, no sympathy from me. This guy wants to make it all about him. "Durr, I was the last to throw one at the Joe and the first to throw one at the LCA". Ohh, you're a part of history and will be talked about for generations. Probably the highlight of his life though, something that he can make sure will be written in his obituary I'm sure.

I think it's a pretty awesome story to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
If he wasn't allowed to toss it on the ice and security was there would they make him toss in garbage? How long would one hold onto an octopus before throwing it on the ice....I have a feeling it would start to stink at some point.

I do agree that it is unfair to just suddenly enforce the rule that has not been enforced ever. What if somebody tossed a stuffed animal octopus out there? Would that change everything? Does Florida still toss rats out there?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If there is a rule against thrown octopi then I think the organization f***ed up royally, either way doesn't sound like the ban was for the act of throwing an octopus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Whatever. It's a big arena, just grow a mustache or wear a hat and he'd be able to easily go to the next home game.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
it's technically been a rule for a while dating back to the Joe, just never really been enforced before.
Also i wonder if the NHL also pressured the wings into enforcing this more.

Bettman has been trying to kill it since the mid90s when Patty Roy whined about being hit by some octopus parts as Al twirled it around. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the league is putting some heavy pressure on behind the scenes, especially if they're dangling future All-Star games and Drafts out there as carrots.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How he broke the rules, or at what degree he broke the rules, or if he had known the rules isn't relavant to me.

What really bothers me is Red Wings are effectively stopping a long tradition that I thought was pretty damn cool. And for that reason, I won't be paying to see a game at the LCA.

I lost a lot of respect for ownership over this. It was a long standing tradition.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Bettman has been trying to kill it since the mid90s when Patty Roy whined about being hit by some octopus parts as Al twirled it around. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the league is putting some heavy pressure on behind the scenes, especially if they're dangling future All-Star games and Drafts out there as carrots.
Which makes me wonder: what on earth kind of damage do they think the octopus is going to do? Does Bettman really hate fun?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Thanks for the link. I still can't believe they tossed him from the game. Also, he got a misdemeanor ticket from the Detroit Police Department?!

Dang.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So can the uproar stop now? looks like a case of just another fan that got caught throwing stuff on the ice. nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the update.

I was pretty surprised when CBC said he got a permaban. Maybe the guard was still ticked off from having the guy throw over him anyway.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Thanks for the link. I still can't believe they tossed him from the game. Also, he got a misdemeanor ticket from the Detroit Police Department?!

Dang.
Apparently they used to as well.... I've never thrown one so I wouldn't know, can anyone confirm this?

Glad they aren't stopping the tradition outright as an organization, just gotta keep sneaking them in. I get the whole throwing on the ice thing, though, if I were a player I would want punishment for fans who did - whether it be an octopus or a dime.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
He's just an hfboards lurker, he told the media he was banned so he could watch the ensuing thread about it.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
They should be glad fans are still choosing to throw octopi--by the end of the year the tradition may have morphed into the hucking of flaming bags of good poo.

Which makes me wonder: what on earth kind of damage do they think the octopus is going to do? Does Bettman really hate fun?

While I'd rather not see the tradition quashed, I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility people/players with seafood allergies could be affected (potentially severely) by flying octopus parts, which is one valid concern I can think of. Considering that fans are already at the risk of being hit by flying pucks, broken sticks, broken plexiglass, getting hit by other fans, drunk or otherwise, etc, etc, it's understandable from a lawyer's point of view why minimizing the potential of liability in freak events is preferable to the meager marketing returns the league gets by tacitly endorsing the continuance of such traditions. And it does kind of reflect poorly on building/NHL security, when people can sneak crap in like that, which could cause for troublesome optics should something akin to a terrorist incident ever occur at LCA or another NHL arena.

Maybe they could do something where you declare your octopus at the gate and get to take part in some kind of octopus tossing competition in the intermission or something, find a happy medium between octopus anarchy and the no fun police.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Does this look like the face of fun? I think the bigger problem were things like Florida fans throwing tons of plastic rats on the ice all of the time.
o-GARY-BETTMAN-HARPER-facebook.jpg

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That is insane though that he has a criminal record for continuing one of the best traditions in sports. The Illitchs should have a fund to pay any fines associated with this. It would be a great middle finger to Bettman.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This thread was a roller coaster.

Page 1: Raging this guy was banned FOR LIFE for being a die hard fan. Completely appalled the Wings let this happen.
Page 2: Oh, he's not banned. Well. Alright then. Carry on.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yeah.... I think he just wants to keep a long tradition going.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Yeah.... I think he just wants to keep a long tradition going.

It was all about him. He had to be the last one to throw an octopus at the Joe, and he needed to be the first one to throw one at LCA. It has nothing to do with keeping a long tradition and everything about him having to be the guy to have claim to the last and first.

And I wonder if he was ever permabanned or made that up in order to get press about it so now his claim of being the last and first is in print.

Reactions: Henkka

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

brian burke was another big proponent of getting it banned back in 07-08

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/04/octopus_twirl_now_illegal_puni.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad