Online Series: Fallout (Amazon, April 10, 2024)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So I watched more during dinner yesterday and I like what I Saw. I finally got around to finishing the first act of Lucy's story, then they go into the Brotherhood dude who apparently tried to sabotage his friend? Then they went back to Lucy.

As dinner finished I stopped watching but not out of lack of interest. I think the show is good so far.

It is also overlapping well with my Fallout 3 experience right now as I've reached the Citadel and am working with the Brotherhood at the moment. For a woman "Lone wanderer" who left the vault in search of her father this seems quite similar so far

are you watching it in like 7 minute increments?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Only a few episodes in, I'm struck by similarities to what Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy wrote in Westworld. The Ghoul is The Man in Black, a neo-Western gunslinger in a cowboy hat who terrorizes the world, kills in cold blood and seemingly can't die. There are even flashbacks to when he was a much different, kind and loving person, setting up a mystery about how he lost his humanity and transformed. Then, there's Lucy, who's a lot like Dolores, a shockingly naïve young woman who learns about the real world and how cruel it is for the first time and has to adapt and fight back. Her quest to find her father can even be seen as akin to Dolores seeking out her own creator. Finally, Maximus seems to be a bit like Teddy, her innocent, slightly bumbling sidekick who just wants to do what's right and be a hero. It may all go in a different direction (for example, I don't expect Lucy to end up as Dolores did), but it certainly feels like more than coincidence that there are similarities to Nolan and Joy's last major (and majorly successful) show.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Only a few episodes in, I'm struck by similarities to what Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy wrote in Westworld. The Ghoul is The Man in Black, a neo-Western gunslinger in a cowboy hat who terrorizes the world, kills in cold blood and seemingly can't die. There are even flashbacks to when he was a much different, kind and loving person, setting up a mystery about how he lost his humanity and transformed. Then, there's Lucy, who's a lot like Dolores, a shockingly naïve young woman who learns about the real world and how cruel it is for the first time and has to adapt and fight back. Her quest to find her father can even be seen as akin to Dolores seeking out her own creator. Finally, Maximus seems to be a bit like Teddy, her innocent, slightly bumbling sidekick who just wants to do what's right and be a hero. It may all go in a different direction (for example, I don't expect Lucy to end up as Dolores did), but it certainly feels like more than coincidence that there are similarities to Nolan and Joy's last major (and majorly successful) show.
Excellent insight as always, Osprey. I loved Westworld, but this connection never really occurred to me. Everything fits perfectly as you laid it out, it's actually pretty striking. I guess they're fairly common tropes either way, but like you said it's gotta be more than coincidence with Nolan and Joy specifically.

Been meaning to give Westworld another watch through, maybe this was my sign lol.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not that I don't agree that there's some similarity in core elements but Lucy going to find her dad who has a mysterious past is pretty much a direct homage or rip off (depending on how you want to look at it) to the beginning of Fallout 3. And they did something similar in Fallout 4 with the player character going into the Wasteland to get their son back. It's almost a trope for Fallout at this point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not that I don't agree that there's some similarity in core elements but Lucy going to find her dad who has a mysterious past is pretty much a direct homage or rip off (depending on how you want to look at it) to the beginning of Fallout 3. And they did something similar in Fallout 4 with the player character going into the Wasteland to get their son back. It's almost a trope for Fallout at this point.

1714349579773.png

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So like Stephen King's Dark Tower series

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.”

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.”

So like Johnny Cash

Reactions: beowulf

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In the end the Man in Black theme is not uncommon.
My point was that the Westworld and Fallout shows were created and written by the same people, so it's probably not a coincidence that they feature similar antagonists. It's like if Stephen King had written another story about a different but similar character. You'd probably figure that he likes writing about that kind of character.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My point was that the Westworld and Fallout shows were created and written by the same people, so it's probably not a coincidence that they feature similar antagonists. It's like if Stephen King had written another story about a different but similar character. You'd probably figure that he likes writing about that kind of character.
He has lol. I was just saying it is a common type of character is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad