Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Fallout 4 is an unremarkable but worthwhile endeavor if you have enjoyed the last two installments. It definitely is a Bethesda product, but you will get enough enjoyment out of it to be worth it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Fallout 4 is an unremarkable but worthwhile endeavor if you have enjoyed the last two installments. It definitely is a Bethesda product, but you will get enough enjoyment out of it to be worth it.

I think you have to like the settlement building (and in this case use mods to defeat build limits) to really like Fallout 4.

I like the game a lot, but I can certainly see its faults too. I tried going back and playing New Vegas, and couldnt get much more then 15 hours in before giving up. The advancements in game mechanics may seem minimal, but they are there and they are large. Visually its not even close either. FO4 isnt the best looking current generation game, but its miles and miles better then 3/NV which have not held up that well.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
As stupid as it sounds, fallout NV is/was my favorite FO by far (and one of my favorite games of all time), but I had a lot of trouble getting back into it after getting used to the FO4 game play tweaks (especially the power armor).

I thought the base building was annoying when i played on PS4 but I missed it going back to FO:NV and found myself really wanting it - now I started a FO4 replay on PC and have spent 4-5 of my current 20 hours building up settlements and putting my power armor garage together.

I have found that many of the things I thought I originally didn't like with Fallout 4 are actually things I missed when I went back to new vegas. And many of the new things they added I really missed. Could the quests be a little more in depth and quirky? Maybe. Do I wish they could have figured out how to avoid/make the radiant quests less omnipresent? Yup. But the commonwealth just feels more populated, with more cool things to do, then I remembered from my first play through a year ago. I guess I was just expecting the best game ever the first time around, and now that my expectations were lowered (to just a good game), I'm loving it.

In any event, really happy I splurged on the deals last Thursday and got the game + the DLC for the PC - didn't even go outside last weekend.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
As stupid as it sounds, fallout NV is/was my favorite FO by far (and one of my favorite games of all time), but I had a lot of trouble getting back into it after getting used to the FO4 game play tweaks (especially the power armor).

I thought the base building was annoying when i played on PS4 but I missed it going back to FO:NV and found myself really wanting it - now I started a FO4 replay on PC and have spent 4-5 of my current 20 hours building up settlements and putting my power armor garage together.

I have found that many of the things I thought I originally didn't like with Fallout 4 are actually things I missed when I went back to new vegas. And many of the new things they added I really missed. Could the quests be a little more in depth and quirky? Maybe. Do I wish they could have figured out how to avoid/make the radiant quests less omnipresent? Yup. But the commonwealth just feels more populated, with more cool things to do, then I remembered from my first play through a year ago. I guess I was just expecting the best game ever the first time around, and now that my expectations were lowered (to just a good game), I'm loving it.

In any event, really happy I splurged on the deals last Thursday and got the game + the DLC for the PC - didn't even go outside last weekend.

Well, the desert is pretty sparse...and New Vegas (the settlement itself) just pales to the density of Boston, not including the rest of the map, even Quincy seems big in comparison to NV.

FO4's issue in the end for me, was that it wasn't a bad game, I liked the environment and side stories, it just wasn't a great FO game...and I played for like 600 hours. I didn't care about either the NCR or Legion in NV, but the resolution to the Institute storyline in 4 was completely out of character IMO, Nuka World somewhat out of character too. The puzzle in Far Harbor was annoying as all get out, at least the last puzzle could be glitched to completion.

At least in 3, you had the karma system, and NV, you could be liked or hated. About the worst you can do in 4, is get a faction mad at you. Ohhh....although that could limit some of the better armor or companions.

Some of the mods are pretty good though for 4. I have my character running around as a long haired, well-endowed brunette, with ballistic weave shorts and tank top. Or there's a mod that turns ghouls into slow walking zombies, but if you don't shoot them in the head, they will potentially hurt you badly when they touch you.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I'll add that as someone who played Fallout 4 as his first Fallout title, I loved it. :laugh:

But yes, definitely a Bethesda game with all the quirks and bugs to go with it.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...tasy-flight-announces-fallout-board-game.aspx

The Fallout board game from Fantasy Flight Games is on the way

fallout_5F00_layout.jpg

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
If the game actually starts and runs with mods added, these mods should work/be active, right?

I have a gazillion mods enabled, but some of them don't seem to work.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If the game actually starts and runs with mods added, these mods should work/be active, right?

I have a gazillion mods enabled, but some of them don't seem to work.

not necessarily. the game will launch fine even if theres mod problems (within reason)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Well, the desert is pretty sparse...and New Vegas (the settlement itself) just pales to the density of Boston, not including the rest of the map, even Quincy seems big in comparison to NV.

FO4's issue in the end for me, was that it wasn't a bad game, I liked the environment and side stories, it just wasn't a great FO game...and I played for like 600 hours. I didn't care about either the NCR or Legion in NV, but the resolution to the Institute storyline in 4 was completely out of character IMO, Nuka World somewhat out of character too. The puzzle in Far Harbor was annoying as all get out, at least the last puzzle could be glitched to completion.

At least in 3, you had the karma system, and NV, you could be liked or hated. About the worst you can do in 4, is get a faction mad at you. Ohhh....although that could limit some of the better armor or companions.

Some of the mods are pretty good though for 4. I have my character running around as a long haired, well-endowed brunette, with ballistic weave shorts and tank top. Or there's a mod that turns ghouls into slow walking zombies, but if you don't shoot them in the head, they will potentially hurt you badly when they touch you.

I hear you for sure - i do miss decisions "mattering" like they did in FO:NV and FO:3 (to a lesser extent) - IE the rep/karma systems. While I also wasnt so gun-ho about the factions in FO:NV, the interplay between them, and your standing with the others, felt a little more RPG. FO4 is much closer to an action RPG - maybe as I age (31 recently) the less in depth, more "turn it on for a few hours then go away for 2 weeks while life takes over" fits me. I loved fallout new vegas while I lived it over a short period - rarely taking a day between play sessions- where as today it didn't keep me as interested as I (sometimes) go weeks between gaming sessions. Most of my gaming today is a couple hours after dinner and before bed - not so long ago it was entire weekends - so "the legion hates me because I freed nelson" feels more like "these ******* raiders are mad for some reason".

In any event, looking back at all 3 (3 of my favorite games), they all have their strengths and weaknesses. In FO:NV, i missed the baller "special" guns. In FO4, i missed repairing weapons (odd as it sounds; it encouraged using many). Going from FO:NV to FO3, I missed weapons mods. FO4 to FO:NV i miss the environment, factions and interplay. FO4 to the others I miss the customization and making Power armor Power armor.

Damn, I miss the gaming weekends! That's what I've concluded after this post anyway haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad