Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I loved this show as a kid.

I agree, the theme song is awesome!

tumblr_pdc7fnuL051uphxvgo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pwuhmw4WOo1tuvwugo1_500.gifv

Don't forget about Markie Post:

the-fall-guy-lg.jpg

Those 2 ladies on the same show was almost too much for this teenager to handle. :laugh:

Reactions: Guardian17

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
and when you said the roughrider beat the roughriders--you knew who won and who lost
You would just say Ottawa beat Saskatchewan. Rough Riders were the men who rode Logs down the river to the saw mills, Roughriders were the guys who rode unbroken bronco's in the west.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Don't forget about Markie Post:

the-fall-guy-lg.jpg

Those 2 ladies on the same show was almost too much for this teenager to handle. :laugh:
Years ago she gave an interview where she talked about how she had no problem doing bikini shots but drew the line at any nudity and how in the 80s and 90 she turned down many movies where it looked like there was a scene written just for a director or producer could check our her girls. She liked and was proud of her body but was selective when, where and how much she showed

It's already a rental.
made back its budget world wide. Wont make as much money as they thought but it wont lose money

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Years ago she gave an interview where she talked about how she had no problem doing bikini shots but drew the line at any nudity and how in the 80s and 90 she turned down many movies where it looked like there was a scene written just for a director or producer could check our her girls. She liked and was proud of her body but was selective when, where and how much she showed

made back its budget world wide. Wont make as much money as they thought but it wont lose money

It was actually a pretty entertaining movie.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It cost over $200M to make and market, according to the NY Times. It brought in only $130M at the box office and only half of that goes back to the studios (the theaters keep the other half), so the movie has lost over $135M. Rentals and license agreements will lessen that over time, but this was a flop and a money loser.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
It cost over $200M to make and market, according to the NY Times. It brought in only $130M at the box office and only half of that goes back to the studios (the theaters keep the other half), so the movie has lost over $135M. Rentals and license agreements will lessen that over time, but this was a flop and a money loser.

NYT looks to have added about 50mill to the budget.

World wide is has made about 3mill profit which is considered a bust--it will lost money only after Hollywood accounting kicks in

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nobody goes to the movies anymore. Love these movies lose so much money. Time to stop paying these big stars so much money. Oh and the extras, but then they will cry and protest again for more money.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
NYT looks to have added about 50mill to the budget.

World wide is has made about 3mill profit which is considered a bust--it will lost money only after Hollywood accounting kicks in
That's the marketing cost. Unless otherwise stated, a movie's "budget" is only the production budget, the cost to make the movie. After that, the studio has to spend even more money to market it, generally 50-100% of what the production budget was. So, Universal likely spent at least $65M and as much as $130M just to market it. Marketing should be included when judging whether a movie made money because it's an additional expense. Even if you don't include it, though, a movie that takes in only about as much as its production budget isn't even close to being profitable because, as I said, the studio gets only half of the box office. This isn't "Hollywood accounting." It's just the economics of the film industry.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
That's the marketing cost. Unless otherwise stated, a movie's "budget" is only the production budget, the cost to make the movie. After that, the studio has to spend even more money to market it, generally 50-100% of what the production budget was. So, Universal likely spent at least $65M and as much as $130M just to market it. Marketing should be included when judging whether a movie made money because it's an additional expense. Even if you don't include it, though, a movie that takes in only about as much as its production budget isn't even close to being profitable because, as I said, the studio gets only half of the box office. This isn't "Hollywood accounting." It's just the economics of the film industry.

The final reported budget was 150mill all said and told. The 200mill budget was floated after it become obvious the movie was not going to be a hit. How many production companies did you see in the opening of the movie? That is where the Hollywood accounting starts kick in

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The final reported budget was 150mill all said and told. The 200mill budget was floated after it become obvious the movie was not going to be a hit. How many production companies did you see in the opening of the movie? That is where the Hollywood accounting starts kick in
It doesn't matter whether the budget was $100M, $150M or $200M. It still lost money. If you don't believe me, do some googling and you'll find lots of articles explaining that a movie needs to take in 2-3x its production budget to be a box office success. Here's one specifically for The Fall Guy:
Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt’s action comedy The Fall Guy is set to be an early summer hit, but what is the film’s budget and how much does it have to make at the box office to turn a profit?
With a budget of $125 million, The Fall Guy will need to make at least $250 million at the worldwide box office to be considered a success. Marketing a big movie like The Fall Guy usually costs about as much as it cost to produce, so these movies generally need to double their production budget to become a box office success. But that won’t be enough to turn a profit; that’ll just be enough to get the movie in the black.

To get into profitable territory, it’ll have to make around 2.5 times its budget (or more), which would be around $310 million.
That article was written before the movie came out, predicted that it would be a hit and shows that it didn't come close to breaking even. After all, why do you imagine that it's available to rent at home only 2.5 weeks after it entered theaters? It's because it wasn't doing well and there wasn't much chance of that changing because studios get a significantly lower percentage of ticket revenue after the first few weeks. Universal must've determined that making it available for rent (where they get to keep most of the money) while the movie and marketing were still fresh would better reduce their losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteWorrell

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Nobody goes to the movies anymore. Love these movies lose so much money. Time to stop paying these big stars so much money. Oh and the extras, but then they will cry and protest again for more money.
Even if Gosling and Blunt were paid around $1 million each, instead of the reported $15 million and $5 - $7 million the movie would have still cost over $120 million before marketing. It still would have been a big money loser...maybe even more so as it's possible quite a few less people would have seen the movie with unrecognizable B or C list stars.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Even if the movie break even, it would still be perceived as a flop. People don't invest to break even. If the money i invested for retirement broke even, i would be rightfully pissed.

Reactions: Osprey

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought it was pretty good. My brand of stupid anyway, the stunts were definitely the main attraction and the rest was good enough to keep it interesting.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Umh.. suprisingly much of criticism for a harmless movie.

I really liked this one. Fun and simple summer action movie, no need to overthink. Kept me entertained and had some really fun scenes. Its shame to see this one flop, as Id enjoy having more movies like this where you can just sit back and relax. The "easy action movies" are out of fashion and seeing them flop propably doesnt encourage makers.

Only thing to complain about was that it could have been stripped 15 mins off and propably really lost nothing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I didn't care for it. The plot is really weak, the action felt forced and I didn't find the comedy funny or the romance believable. Gosling and Blunt have no chemistry or charisma and the script gave them characters that made me wonder how they could even be together. It felt like a half-baked script about a stuntman that had action scenes added and names changed to tie into a popular TV show in order to make it more marketable. I'll give it credit for daring to be a big budget rom-com, but none of the ingredients worked for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad