Face Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hckyguy14

Any tips?

I stink at them, and I am the one who everyone thinks should be in there.

Problem is, I can only win 1 out of every 5 if I am lucky!

Any tips or tricks would be great!

My strategey right now is just to be quicker then the other guy. But I have also thought about blocking his stick with my stick and then kicking the puck to a teamate.

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
I'm also brutal at face-offs and would appreciate any tips. Go though in your mind all the different moves you can use (forehand/backhand.. draw through your legs etc) and just practice, practice, practice them all.

I hold the stick low down to the blade to get leverage and take a deep stance for power and stability. Communicate with your wingers and D about what you are going to try, use them. Finally, its so important to make that second effort, one sec/two secs after the puck is dropped, that puck might still be obtainable. Battle for it.

If you are not confident that you can win a key draw, concede you will lose, then concentrate on prevention.. keep the centre tied up, keep the puck in the face off circle, that way your teammates have valuable seconds to get prepared defensively.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
For some odd reason I am really good at them. /shrug

I usually try to draw the puck back. I turn my bottom hand over and try to quickly sweep the puck between my legs. If you are going to try this make sure you let your defensemen know and make sure you don't let the other center get by you.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I've tried many different things and this is what works best for me. Not everything that works for me will work for you, some people are better at taking faceoffs in different ways than others.

1. Watch the puck as the ref drops it, not as it hits the ice. This is more important if he is dropping it fast. If he is dropping it slow this might mess you up a bit if you are just playing hungry hungry hippos once you get the green light. Work on your timing if this is the case.

2. Widen your stance dramaticly and get close to the ice. You don't have to look like this, but those are NHL players, so they must be doing something right. This advice helped me in ways that I couldn't imagine, and now I don't understand why other people don't do this. If you remember anything from this post make sure it's this tip.

3. If one guy is giving your trouble, try a different approach. It boggles my mind when I see somebody lose one hundred percent of their faceoffs to a player. There is a way to beat everybody, if what you are doing isn't working, try something else like winning the puck on the forehand if you primarally take faceoffs on the backhand.

This is by no means all my stuff, but if I were to get into it I could probably write a book on winning faceoffs. I suck at most other faucets of ice hockey so I take a lot of pride in my ability to win a face off. These tips SHOULD be able to help you but some people are better sticking to thier own set of rules. Try to develop a plan that works for you when lining up. Hope this helps.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A few things:

#1. You have to go in with the attitude that face-offs are important.

#2. The four biggest factors in winning face-offs are quickness, strength, timing, and perhaps most important, cheating. Anything below a college/Jr. level hockey you rarely will see linseman throw centers out of the face-off circle, take advantage of that.

#3. Mix it up. Yes, most of the time you'll be trying to win the draw back to your defenseman/winger, but don't try that 100% of the time. Other options, include tapping it through the opposing centers skates and then slipping past him to grab the puck. Another is just steamrolling the opposing center and having your winger pick up the loose puck.

#4. Wingers. Wingers probably win 30-40% of all face-offs. Make sure your wingers are ready to jump in and grab any loose pucks if you're having a tie-up with the opposing centerman, or if a puck just squirts away.

#5. Always have a plan and let your wingers know what the plan is so that they are ready for what you're going to try.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
From my experience the tap it between the other guys skates and get it on the other side has a pretty low chance of actually working out and your teammates probably won't think too highly of you if you try to use this tactic regularly.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
spacelobster said:
From my experience the tap it between the other guys skates and get it on the other side has a pretty low chance of actually working out and your teammates probably won't think too highly of you if you try to use this tactic regularly.

True...and you have to be quick enough to get buy your man. Try this one too many times and the other team might just let you win the draw and collect the puck themselves.

Now if the draw is just outside of your defensive zone and your outside winger is quick enough, it might be a good option.

The other spot to try this would be just inside your defensive zone. You have to make sure that the tap is hard enough to get to cross the blueline.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Just curious, how the refs drop the puck in your games? The refs seem to chuck the puck down to the ice in a lot of our and pretty at the mercy of the direction the toss goes.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
One of the strategies I really like is to just tie up the opposing centermen and kick it back to your defense. However a lot of leagues don't like this little move, so another one you can do is simply get your body into the easiest transfer position, so that when the puck is dropped you swivel infront of their center, push him away with your arse and pick up the puck.

Basically I don't actually win the faceoff so much as I just don't allow the other centermen victory, it's mainly because whenever I did win faceoffs I found out one of my teammates was bobbling it because they didn't expect it so soon. Bleh.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
timing is everything.

you can get the refs timing down easy and just try to be the first one swiping. if you can do that odds are youll win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad