Fabricated rivalries in history?

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
That was true when they were in the same division, and even then, nothing significant comes to mind in those 8 times they've met.

Really? Not the brawls involving #66 getting ejected with the coaches close to fists on the bench jumping over the glass? Not the 4OT game which was one of the longest ever?

5lidyzer19

Jun 21, 2010
Detroit Colorodo :naughty:

but seriously, the 10 teams in the West that think we're their "rivals" when really there is zero hate put back their way.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is an actual rivalry, not a fake one. They play in the same division, geographically close, Leaf fans continually invade Buffalo. .

Interesting. I havent lived in Southern Ontario for a couple of decades but I sure dont remember any "rivalry" per se'. When the Sabers came into the league & hired Imlach it was hyped as such; Punch baiting Torontonians' & the Leafs' with barbs' (our uniforms are going to be blue, just like Tarana's but sharper; they wont know what hit em'.... :laugh: ). Briefly during the 70's with Buffalo's French Connection Line, the Leafs with Palmateer, Sittler et al, but no "major rivalry" that I ever re-call.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
This is the 2011 sports world. 15 years into the free agency era. Fanbases ARE rivalries. Seriously players move around so much now that true rivalries are near impossible. And the way players grow up now making friends with one another. It's even worse in football and basketball.

Chicago, Vancouver and a couple of other teams would beg to differ.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Chicago, Vancouver and a couple of other teams would beg to differ.

His point is valid. Rivalries are mostly between fan bases. If Patrick Kane was suddenly traded to Vancouver, he wouldn't suddenly hate all his former teammates. Do you think Ryder hated all his former Habs mates after signing in Boston?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I feel like Detroit/Chicago is one to some extent at this point. Not historically of course (see my avatar) but the Hawks were irrelevant from the mid 90s to just a few years ago and hatred or dislike for Chicago gave way to a kind of "aw how sad to see another Original Six team fallen on hard times" type pity, I remember Wings fans admitting to rooting for the Hawks on their Cup run..which doesn't sound like a real rivalry to me.

A few more playoff match-ups would probably change that sense on the Wings side, especially if they are close and there's controversy, things not going the Wings' way. Right now though for being the Wings' best traditional rivalry in the West, there just isn't all that much bad blood.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
His point is valid. Rivalries are mostly between fan bases. If Patrick Kane was suddenly traded to Vancouver, he wouldn't suddenly hate all his former teammates. Do you think Ryder hated all his former Habs mates after signing in Boston?

Not right off the bat, but he eventually did.

Fanbases play a larger role than in the past but a rivalry that only exists between fanbases can only be so intense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad