Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Extensions are a thing.

The fact that it won't be a guarantee that he re-signs makes the deal far from enticing. I don't see how it's an amazing deal when you consider the risk of him leaving.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The fact that it won't be a guarantee that he re-signs makes the deal far from enticing. I don't see how it's an amazing deal when you consider the risk of him leaving.

These days, the chances of a player re-signing are much greater than a player leaving.

You work out the details of a deal, get permission to talk to the agent, gauge interest in player signing/work out a new contract then and there. Complete deal.

Sekera is exactly the type of player we need on our team. Gardiner is the type we need to move away from.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
No way i would move a controllable young piece like Gardiner who has so much offensive potential for Sekera who will get at least 5.5 mil and wont even play on our powerplay or be especially good on the P.K... Hes not a good fit at all salary wise considering we have 0 need for powerplay guys. I know hes a good 5 on 5 puckmover but Gards isnt a useless asset he brings a lot more skill then Sekera does hes just young and doesn't know how to use his head at times.

We can replace Gards on the 3rd pair easily with Percy so i would not mind moving his 4 mil cap hit out but i would not move him unless we are getting something valuable... Im sure teams will pay a decent amount for him...If not wait until his value inevitably raises when his play does.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Sekera would be a solid add.

I'd like to upgrade our 2nd pairing entirely. Move out Robidas to a team looking for his "leadership" or whatever he provides.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
No way i would move a controllable young piece like Gardiner who has so much offensive potential for Sekera who will get at least 5.5 mil and wont even play on our powerplay or be especially good on the P.K... Hes not a good fit at all salary wise considering we have 0 need for powerplay guys. I know hes a good 5 on 5 puckmover but Gards isnt a useless asset he brings a lot more skill then Sekera does hes just young and doesn't know how to use his head at times.

We can replace Gards on the 3rd pair easily with Percy so i would not mind moving his 4 mil cap hit out but i would not move him unless we are getting something valuable... Im sure teams will pay a decent amount for him...If not wait until his value inevitably raises when his play does.

Why wouldn't a 40+ pt player play on our PP? We have offensive upside in Franson, Rielly, and (potentially) Sekera. How much more offensive upside do you foresee Gardiner having? Say you see 50 pts out of him. I'd gladly sacrifice the extra 10pts for defensive ability. Sekera would fit the mould here perfectly IMO. Him and Faulk are on the top-PK-pairing too. Can't see a downside to this...

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Hey, Chuck, what do you think the price on bogo might be?

I could see us rolling with:

Phaneuf-Franson
Reilly-Bogosian
Gardiner-Polak

Solid defense

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Why wouldn't a 40+ pt player play on our PP? We have offensive upside in Franson, Rielly, and (potentially) Sekera. How much more offensive upside do you foresee Gardiner having? Say you see 50 pts out of him. I'd gladly sacrifice the extra 10pts for defensive ability. Sekera would fit the mould here perfectly IMO. Him and Faulk are on the top-PK-pairing too. Can't see a downside to this...

Downside is too big.

Seekers walks via free agency and you lose an assest in Gardiner for nothing.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Downside is too big.

Seekers walks via free agency and you lose an assest in Gardiner for nothing.

That's just blind fear. You need to break through that to take steps forward. Get Carolina to toss in their 2nd or 3rd if Sekera doesn't extend with us. The "what-if" shouldn't paralyze you.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I would love to get Bogo... Size with mobility is hard to play against, we have this in Phaneuf and Polak..Adding Bogo would be great in my opinion.

Even if we couldn't resign Franson i would be happy we had Bogo to replace him internally.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Bogosian has been quite injury prone throughout his career. Excellent skill level.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hey, Chuck, what do you think the price on bogo might be?

I could see us rolling with:

Phaneuf-Franson
Reilly-Bogosian
Gardiner-Polak

Solid defense

I'd trade Franson and keep Robidas. Franson is hot now, but who knows what we get from him later or after this year. Too much of a risk to keep around. I wouldn't be against a deal to acquire Bogo however.

:leafs
Zach Bogosian

:jets
Jake Gardiner
Carter Ashton (or approximately equal valued prospect)

I think essentially a one-for-one deal is fair. I would be totally for this type of deal.

Phaneuf-Bogosian
Rielly-Polak
Percy-Robidas

That's a solid defense core. If Polak and Robidas aren't working, we can easily move on in the short term (unlike Franson who we may be stuck with for 5-6 years if he doesn't live up to his potential) and we have guys like Granberg and Nilsson who look good for a future bottom 4 right-hand spots (Nilsson can easily replace Robidas and Granberg can do well in replacing Polak). Bogosian provides a long term top 2 or top 4 right-handed option.

It would also work for Winnipeg, who could use a left-handed defenseman like Gardiner.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not convinced Gardiner gets us Bogosian. I'd probably do it though.

I don't know. It's probably quite close. We'd probably have to add an expendable prospect or two to get it done. Both have similar potentials and are at the same place in their developments. I think what Bogosian has in size and defense, Gardiner wins in offense. However, I would add a little bit to make it better for them.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Hate to do it, but during the 2nd intermission, Dave Nonis and his goatee confirmed my post earlier today. Of course I will continue to get exhausting hate mail but when the GM themselves nearly confirms word for word my post not 8 hours later.. I hope it slows some down!

The team is scouring current struggling teams for depth up the middle and a minute eating vet defender.

A few good players were pointed out prior, amongst were Sekera, Michalek and Vermette.

A few other dark horse names I am going to suggest are; Zach Bogosian, Matt Hendricks, Mark Letestu and Jan Hejda pending on team positions after the trade freeze or at the time of the deadline.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bogosian would be a fantastic replacement for Gardiner, it's just that Winnipeg is doing well right now and may not want to shake things up.

He's exactly what we need though, a #2-3 guy who can eat up minutes and still provide a good mix of offense/defence. Just struggles with injuries a bit.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
These days, the chances of a player re-signing are much greater than a player leaving.

You work out the details of a deal, get permission to talk to the agent, gauge interest in player signing/work out a new contract then and there. Complete deal.

Sekera is exactly the type of player we need on our team. Gardiner is the type we need to move away from.

I k ow CAR would never do it, but I would rather have Faulk :laugh:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I would love to get Bogo... Size with mobility is hard to play against, we have this in Phaneuf and Polak..Adding Bogo would be great in my opinion.

Even if we couldn't resign Franson i would be happy we had Bogo to replace him internally.

But we need to also make room for Loov and Percy.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Hate to do it, but during the 2nd intermission, Dave Nonis and his goatee confirmed my post earlier today. Of course I will continue to get exhausting hate mail but when the GM themselves nearly confirms word for word my post not 8 hours later.. I hope it slows some down!

The team is scouring current struggling teams for depth up the middle and a minute eating vet defender.

A few good players were pointed out prior, amongst were Sekera, Michalek and Vermette.

A few other dark horse names I am going to suggest are; Zach Bogosian, Matt Hendricks, Mark Letestu and Jan Hejda pending on team positions after the trade freeze or at the time of the deadline.

**** the haters chuck:yo:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Chuck - the ignore button is a beautiful thing (also, maybe block people from msging you?) you can do that :nod: )

if we can get vermette. Hooo boy, yes please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad