FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.24 | Post trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Chris Johnson tweeted yesterday that they don't. The team said they're at 50.

Interesting. I guess a contract sliding can still count towards the 50 mark.

I just looked at his tweets and this is what he said:

Chris Johnston
‏@reporterchris
Don't expect the #leafs to be in the running for more NCAA free agents. Casey Bailey took them to the 50 contract limit.

Ibrahim Hindy ‏@Hindy500
@reporterchris Pretty sure it's 49. The Russian contract is a slider.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
@Hindy500 Team told me 50.

I mean, if the Leafs say it's 50... it's 50.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Aren't they still after the Goalie?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Aren't they still after the Goalie?

Most of the league wants to sign him. As per McKenzie, we're not amongst frontrunners. Looks like the only way we can sign him is if he's willing to simply sign a tryout contract until July 1st and then sign his ELC then.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
BU goalie Matt O'Connor, who plays at 2 pm Fri vs Yale in NCAAs, is another UFA in demand. BUF, NYR, OTT and EDM amongst the frontrunners.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Most of the league wants to sign him. As per McKenzie, we're not amongst frontrunners. Looks like the only way we can sign him is if he's willing to simply sign a tryout contract until July 1st and then sign his ELC then.

BU goalie Matt O'Connor, who plays at 2 pm Fri vs Yale in NCAAs, is another UFA in demand. BUF, NYR, OTT and EDM amongst the frontrunners.

Doesn't matter to me, I'd rather draft a young project with more potential. We already have 3 good goalies in that age range, we don't really need another one. We need a great goalie, and I don't think college goalies that go undrafted really go into the "great" category. Many of them don't even turn out I don't think (at least not recently). Soshnikov and Bailey shore up depth that we don't need to do as much in the draft now, and we can easily move some guys we have now without worrying about lack of depth. I think that benefits us more than bringing in another goalie whom is marginally better at best than the three guys we have now.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Can't see why the Goalie would do that. Can they give him a Signing Bonus for a tryout contract?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Contracts not an issue

We can talk to the players like anyone else. If they want to be here, we can move contracts to another team for "future considerations" to free up space.

Example.
Frazer Mclaren, Colton Orr, Or anyone in the ECHL + Future considerations or a late pick,
For future considerations.

IF the college F.A are seen as more important/better players than someone we have, we will move them. Plenty of teams in the AHL playoffs need depth somewhere.

It essentially becomes a normal trade...
Free Agent were signings worth for the player we are kicking out, and the cost for the team to take them,
so Matt O'Connor + future considerations FOR scrub+ future considerations + late pick

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Doesn't matter to me, I'd rather draft a young project with more potential. We already have 3 good goalies in that age range, we don't really need another one. We need a great goalie, and I don't think college goalies that go undrafted really go into the "great" category. Many of them don't even turn out I don't think (at least not recently). Soshnikov and Bailey shore up depth that we don't need to do as much in the draft now, and we can easily move some guys we have now without worrying about lack of depth. I think that benefits us more than bringing in another goalie whom is marginally better at best than the three guys we have now.

While you're probably right, the best two Goalies the Leafs have had in the last forever both came through this route.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
While you're probably right, the best two Goalies the Leafs have had in the last forever both came through this route.

And how long ago was that? We haven't had an acceptable goalie other than Bernier and Reimer (both CHLers) for like 10 years. Belfour was in college in the 80's... Same with Joseph. That doesn't mean the market is any good now.

When was the last time a college goalie whom went undrafted turned into anything decent? Actually, I just looked it up, it was 20 years ago... Dwayne Roloson. Every other college goalie since them whom went undrafted didn't turn into anything. Maybe he becomes something, maybe not. I'm not going to lose sleep over not getting him, and it's not like we can anyways. We won't be able to move out any sort of roster player we have right now, unless we miraculously get another Broll/Ashton deal. We don't need to worry. We got Panik, Erixon, Soshnikov and Bailey, all under 24, for free. We are good with new young blood this year. Let's focus on the draft now.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

He's gonna go to Buffalo and then we're gonna have to deal with McDavid and O'Connor for a long time after that.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Toninato and Cameranesi playing on TSN 3 tomorrow at 5:30 ET

Man, I hope we trade Cameranesi. His value is at an all time high, and I don't think he'll be able to claw his way up our depth chart. However, he could be good on many others, and he's contractless (so he can act like a pick). He's the type of guy, like Herzog, to make a deal more favourable for us without much risk.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Good news for us

So apparently Flyers` owner Ed Snider may not be up for going the patient, build through the draft, etc. route. This could bode pretty well for us if we`re trying to move Phaneuf. Or even someone like Gardiner. They`ve got all kinds of ****** contracts we could take and a number of picks this year too.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I put that in the wrong thread, don't know why I thought this was the prospects thread.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good news for us

So apparently Flyers` owner Ed Snider may not be up for going the patient, build through the draft, etc. route. This could bode pretty well for us if we`re trying to move Phaneuf. Or even someone like Gardiner. They`ve got all kinds of ****** contracts we could take and a number of picks this year too.

We have lots of pieces. Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak etc.
Flyers have cap dumps, Vinny/MacDonald. They also have the no. 8 pick. 2 picks in the top 10 and one more 1st round would kick our rebuild off nicely.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

I believe we were at 48 when we traded Ashton and Broll. Then Erixon and Bailey take us to 50.

Soshinkov's contract does slide...won't kick in until July 1st.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I believe we were at 48 when we traded Ashton and Broll. Then Erixon and Bailey take us to 50.

Soshinkov's contract does slide...won't kick in until July 1st.

We also dealt Winnik but got sill back, we dealt Franson and Santorelli but only got Lepisic (jokiness was later traded), and we dealt Holzer but got Brewer back

So that's 6 out 5 in

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Flexibility

Few GM's have what Nonnis has right now. Major flexibility with assets other teams who want to win now want.We could easily walk away with 4 firsts in this draft because Nonnis knows we wont make the playoffs next year anyhow(they most likely want a top 10 pick).Meaning he can take on some bad contracts while offering win now players. Not many NHL GM's, if any ,have that option.:handclap:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
We also dealt Winnik but got sill back, we dealt Franson and Santorelli but only got Lepisic (jokiness was later traded), and we dealt Holzer but got Brewer back

So that's 6 out 5 in

Jokinen was traded for Lindstrom. We got contracts back for every contract we dealt.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
He's gonna go to Buffalo and then we're gonna have to deal with McDavid and O'Connor for a long time after that.

One of these things is not like the other...

O'Connor is nice and all, but to be worried about facing him if we don't sign him, I don't think he'll become some superstar #1 goalie. Him becoming another Reimer would be a positive outcome for him, and I'd be happy if we got him, but people expecting him to become this unflappable force in net are just getting well ahead of themselves.

Plus, it's likely Buffalo ends up missing out on McDavid, and possible they miss out on Eichel as well.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
One of these things is not like the other...

O'Connor is nice and all, but to be worried about facing him if we don't sign him, I don't think he'll become some superstar #1 goalie. Him becoming another Reimer would be a .sitive outcome for him, and I'd be happy if we got him, but people expecting him to become this unflappable force in net are just getting well ahead of themselves.

Plus, it's likely Buffalo ends up missing out on McDavid, and possible they miss out on Eichel as well.

I said O'Connor because knowing our luck he becomes another Ryan Miller. Buffalo is getting one of McDavid or Eichel even if they lose the lottery again. I think Buffalo could be a good team next year if they get a goalie and can stay healthy.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I said O'Connor because knowing our luck he becomes another Ryan Miller. Buffalo is getting one of McDavid or Eichel even if they lose the lottery again. I think Buffalo could be a good team next year if they get a goalie and can stay healthy.

All depends. If Eichel comes to the NHl next year, he and Reinhart have even Gaudreau like rookie seasons, Girgensons keeps on improving, and their defense gets better they could be as good as Carolina. Lots of ifs though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad