FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.20 - 5 days to TDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
That's interesting, where is Chicago going to gain 9.5M in capspace 5 days out of the deadline?

I know... and i dont want us to take on Bickell, but him and Oduya can pretty much squeeze them in.

hope we have better offers elsewhere, because even if a 1st and a prospect is added to that, i doubt we'd be happy with the return

Burke can fit them in... we should be offering everyone to Calgary

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
it wasnt me that *** out the name, i guess he is not board approved, or his name is like profanity on here :D

And for good reason. The guy you are quoting is a known twitter fraud.

Nothing to see here folks.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Is Kane on LTIR? Thats 6.5million right there, isn't it?

only if he was done for the season ...they cant get him back on the roster when he's healthy if they are over the cap (or even take him off injured reserve).

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
And for good reason. The guy you are quoting is a known twitter fraud.

Nothing to see here folks.

I have been following him for a few seasons, and he's broken deadline deals before the mainstream guys , and had correct rumors way before any word got out in the past.

he's one of the few BS artists/rumor mongers i still follow, because he does get a few things right.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I'm happy to have Hunter on our management team and I'm looking forward to see what he can bring. He should definitely help us at the draft.

But a lot of what he accomplished with London was because of finances and politics rather than strictly talent recognition.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I realize this, but the difference between boys and men is the difference between boys and men.

I'm glad he's there, but I don't expect the Leafs to all of a sudden start popping NHLers from the draft.

Agreed but if your identifying 1st round NHL talent years before their entry draft eligible that is good scouting. IMO ;)

Mark Hunter has drafted players like Bo Horvat, John Carlson, Sam Gagner, Patrick Kane, etc (just to name a few) for his London Knights long before they became high NHL picks years later.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I have been following him for a few seasons, and he's broken deadline deals before the mainstream guys , and had correct rumors way before any word got out in the past.

he's one of the few BS artists/rumor mongers i still follow, because he does get a few things right.

I'm sorry. You are mistaken. I closely watch his mentions and tweets(refuse to follow), he never gets anything right... tosses out rumors left and right. I constantly call him out on being wrong.

He once taped a picture of his twitter avatar to a tv screen with an image of Darren Dreger and then claimed dreger has a voodoo doll of him.

The guy is an embarrassment.

silentbob37*

Drouin and one of Tampa's 1st round picks would close the Kessel deal for me. Cap dump if necessary.

I don't want Drouin.

For the last 5-6 years we've been a team with a lot of fast, skilled, small, non-physical players. Thats not THE reason we haven't been good, but its one of them. And the one season we did make the playoffs was the one season our smaller, non-physical guys played with more of a physical edge.

The NHL is a physical league and size matters. The Habs learned this about 6-7 years ago and made a lot moves to add size and grit to their line up. Lets learn from their experience. We need/want guys with skill, but we can't ignore size and grit and physical play. And its not something can be compartmentalized - your bottom 6 can't be physiacl while your top 6 isn't.

...and by season's end, more than likely 2nd

Kessel is, right now, on pace for 65 points, that would put him 5th (not 4th) among tampa bay players in PPG.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
only if he was done for the season ...they cant get him back on the roster when he's healthy if they are over the cap (or even take him off injured reserve).

Also, Lupul and Bozak have multiple years left and the Hawks cap issues extend into next season with Kane and Towes' cap hits increasing by 4.2M each.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm happy to have Hunter on our management team and I'm looking forward to see what he can bring. He should definitely help us at the draft.

But a lot of what he accomplished with London was because of finances and politics rather than strictly talent recognition.

Follow up to my post above re: our scouting staff. Simmons on TSN Drive said Shanahan reviewed their draft list history of each scout, he was apparently happy with how the staff ranked players.

For me the biggest difference this summer, will be Hunter will have the say on what player we draft. Just because we picked Percy, Biggs, Gauthier, Rielly, and Nylander, does not mean they were all consensus picks on our scouts lists. Obviously Rielly was, but GM's and Assistant GM's at times overrule scouts and go with their players. Hunter will be the one that has the final say now, this is a good thing.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

No doubt. But knowing how to recruit, woo, entice, and sign guys is an important skill. I think Burke had it. I'm not sure Nonis is as assertive and effective at it, though of course I'm purely speculating.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I can see Dallas now stepping up to get Lupul. They would of coarse trade a cap dump then again they may not need too. If they want they could trade Cole to a contender and then trade for Lupul.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can see Dallas now stepping up to get Lupul. They would of coarse trade a cap dump then again they may not need too. If they want they could trade Cole to a contender and then trade for Lupul.

Step up in what way? I doubt they make the playoffs, so you can forget them making a deal the Leafs would be interested in before the deadline. They have a lot of players pending UFA though. Maybe in the summer if they can't find a UFA signing or two to fill some holes... but aside from that, I don't see it. Their problem isn't scoring goals at all.

Phaneuf makes a ton of sense for them if they want to improve their defensive core. It's a huge weakness. Their goaltending hasn't been all that great either.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm sorry. You are mistaken. I closely watch his mentions and tweets(refuse to follow), he never gets anything right... tosses out rumors left and right. I constantly call him out on being wrong.

He once taped a picture of his twitter avatar to a tv screen with an image of Darren Dreger and then claimed dreger has a voodoo doll of him.

The guy is an embarrassment.

i dont disagree with that, but, I'm pretty sure he was revealed to be a Quebec JR player, so, he likely has an agent, and I can only assume that would be where he gets his rumors, or from contacts therein

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

chicago has no cap space
boston has under 4 million

notable UFAs on non playoff teams:

Arizona:
vermette
erat
michalek

Buffalo:
c.stewart
meszaros

Carolina:
sekeras
tlusty
mclement
dwyer
gleason

Edmonton:
Petry
Roy

Toronto:
Winnik
Booth
Jokinen
Holzer
T.Smith

NJ:
Jagr
Havlat
Ryder
Salvador
Zidlicky
Clemmenson

Ottawa:
Condra

Columbus:
Skille
letsetu
leopold

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Follow up to my post above re: our scouting staff. Simmons on TSN Drive said Shanahan reviewed their draft list history of each scout, he was apparently happy with how the staff ranked players.

For me the biggest difference this summer, will be Hunter will have the say on what player we draft. Just because we picked Percy, Biggs, Gauthier, Rielly, and Nylander, does not mean they were all consensus picks on our scouts lists. Obviously Rielly was, but GM's and Assistant GM's at times overrule scouts and go with their players. Hunter will be the one that has the final say now, this is a good thing.

why would you assume that ...I would have taken Forsberg, and if he was gone, Grigorenko both before even considering Rielly
the main guy i wanted was Galchenyuk, but, it doesnt make the fact that I wanted one of the forwards more than Rielly, and I know I am not the only one that felt that way.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
James Mirtle @mirtle 1m
Not surprised Niemi won't be back in San Jose. They would have moved on sooner if they could have. Hope was Stalock would step up this year

...hmmn, Bernier + Kessel for Niemi + + +??

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
No doubt. But knowing how to recruit, woo, entice, and sign guys is an important skill. I think Burke had it. I'm not sure Nonis is as assertive and effective at it, though of course I'm purely speculating.

Yeah for sure. The Hunter's created a situation in London where the top players want to play. Which is hugely important and a skill within itself.

They are fantastic at what they do. I don't think I worded my original post well but what I was trying to say is that getting and developing good players has more to it than just recognizing talent. Hopefully Hunter can bring some of that to Toronto.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane looks to be out a while, wonder if that means Chicago is more active on TDL?

The Winnik interest has probably just gone up, perhaps even Lupul becomes an option for Chicago (but i don't know how they would fit him under the cap for next year).

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
James Mirtle @mirtle 1m
Not surprised Niemi won't be back in San Jose. They would have moved on sooner if they could have. Hope was Stalock would step up this year

What the hell? Why is Niemi the basis for a trade with either of those players? Let alone both?

The + better be about 4 first round picks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
James Mirtle @mirtle 1m

If San Jose is pushing hard for Bernier in the off-season, it can make sense. I really don't see them moving forward with Stalock either... but why Kessel? They don't need him at all.

Bernier for a 1st round pick and Chris Tierney (ex-London Knight). That could be the base of the deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Niemi is a UFA. He would be a free wallet this summer. As for moving Bernier, for the right price. As I said yesterday, it would not surprise me.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Is this team gonna make some more trades or what already

My spidey senses say Thursday is next. Then busy Sunday/Monday. Be patient...value will go up closer to TDL. As long as contending teams get injuries and our assets stay healthy (or scratched). Expect Dion to sit till after the TDL. He would rather just stay in TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad