F Yegor Sokolov (2020, 61st, OTT)

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I mean you only get so many mulligans as GMs for missing out on a player... especially a kid that passed through two previous drafts entirely. Then got passed over another 59 times before he was taken with the second last pick of the 2nd round in the last draft. At some point you need to admit you missed the boat hard...

While there definitely some people predicting that he might end up going in that range, the tone in this thread doesnt paint the reality that on draft day this pick was almost universally panned by Sens fans, outside fans, and most draft analysts. And despite what they might be saying now, its fair to say that he and the Sens caught most of us (all of the GMs/scouts included) with our pants down on this one.

The Sens deserve full credit because making him a 2nd round pick is a big statement about their belief in him. Using a late round flyer and hitting the jackpot is a far less of a shrewd move than using a 2nd rounder to make sure they got hm.

I suppose the Sens have elite scouting then if Sokolov was going to make it to a late round flyer. He could have gone 60th overall and you’d be having the same conversation right now. The sens could have just taken him 1 spot before he would have been taken anyways. You have no clue.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I suppose the Sens have elite scouting then if Sokolov was going to make it to a late round flyer. He could have gone 60th overall and you’d be having the same conversation right now. The sens could have just taken him 1 spot before he would have been taken anyways. You have no clue.
He wasn't getting past the 3rd round, he went whereabouts where he was ranked. went 20 spots higher than he was on McKenzie's list

He was expected to go around 60-80

Boston are the team that took a big play grabbing Lohrei at 58, he was actually viewed as a late round flyer, 132nd NA skater, Sokolov was 73.

Sens are very happy with the pick, Mann had watched him a lot over the past 3 seasons

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This is one of those rare instances of a player going undrafted was what was best for his development, he gained a chip on his shoulder and has only improved 0n every area that his detractors have said he struggled.

Guy is poised to make the Senators out of camp.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
His production as a first year pro was great, but even more impressive is that he did it largely playing alongside far less talented line-mates:

Sokolov: 35GP-15G-10A-25P
Reinhardt: 33GP-6G-6A-12P
Kastelic: 31GP-4G-6A-10P

Definitely wasn't carried by anyone last year. Same goes for his final season in junior, where he easily led his team in scoring.

Skill, size and work ethic are all top 6 quality. If he keeps improving his skating then he'll be a good player.

Gordiiie

Dec 18, 2018
Is he really 6'4 and 240lbs ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-214550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-214550_Chrome.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11

Gordiiie

Dec 18, 2018
Down to 210. He’s in the best shape of his life.

Wow nice!! At this size he'll still be able to use it as an advantage over his opponent and hopefully gain a bit of speed (wich was already a bit compensate by his ability to slow down the play).

Love him. Really promising.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Any chance this kid makes the team?

Very little chance. Mann worked wonders on him last year in the A as the season went along and I'd think Sens want to send him the Mark Stone route of dominating there with more confidence and improvement on his skating before sticking for good in the big club. Good chance we see him stick post trade deadline onwards. I'd bet starting next season, as Belleville looks poised to be strong contenders in their division.

Reactions: Boxscore

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Great guy, quickly becoming a fan favourite with his positive attitude and determination. Very strong drive, work ethic and motivation to improve and make the NHL, dropped a ton of weight and became much fitter and agile in the past 2 years. I was hoping he'd make the team this year too, but after seeing him in the preseason games, he still looked slow and lost endurance way too quickly, often times chasing the play too much. His conditioning still got ways to go for him to be able to make the jump and stick, his shot and size are already there, but needs another year of seasoning to work on his skates. Rooting for him to make it soon, but still needs more improvement for him to graduate.

Reactions: BMann

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not quite ready. Might get some callups this season but I would expect him to seriously push for a spot next season
I would go as far as to say he will definitely get games this year, at least after the deadline unless we are unexpectedly in a playoff spot. But yeah, next year will be the year for him to really make a push.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Has played 4 games with the Sens and just got sent back down recently. How did he look?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Has played 4 games with the Sens and just got sent back down recently. How did he look?

He looked like a player playing his first nhl games. He was comfortable on the puck, could use his body better but that should come in time. Off the puck the details are not quite where they need to be to be a regular, he was a little behind the play at times in regards to anticipating the play as well. It was encouraging but he still needs time.

Reactions: wings5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad