F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Quite of few on the Canadiens forum like him a lot for our pick if we're towards the bottom of the Top 10. Those who have seen him play extensively, does he have 1st line upside?
Doubt he ever becomes a top line play driver, but he should have no problem playing on a top line if everything goes right.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Quite of few on the Canadiens forum like him a lot for our pick if we're towards the bottom of the Top 10. Those who have seen him play extensively, does he have 1st line upside?
1st line upside?

if you think an elite goal and point scorer, who is physical and have a high hockey sense
has 1st line potential, then yes one can say he has 1st line upside

;)

Doubt he ever becomes a top line play driver, but he should have no problem playing on a top line if everything goes right.
i disagree

better version of his dad (without the fighting)
that's my vision of him

At draft age,, he is ahead of development of his dad

Reactions: bert

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
1st line upside?

if you think an elite goal and point scorer, who is physical and have a high hockey sense
has 1st line potential, then yes one can say he has 1st line upside

;)

i disagree

that's my vision of him

Do you prefer him or Berkly Catton?

And why?

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
that's my vision of him

Made my eyes pop a bit.

Tij seems to keep getting better and better and better. He definitely feels more slippery and traditionally 'skilled' than his father. Real high end scoring upside, but I mean Papa Iggy has a Lindsay, Ross, 2x Rocket and should have a Hart. He's one of the greatest to ever lace them up. You're totally free to your claim though, Tij can be special.

I'm curious about how gritty/physical he is. He doesn't look very filled out yet. Is he nasty like a Tkachuk or his father? Or does he get that tag boosted because of the bloodlines.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jarome had 625 goals and 1300 points. There's a <0.1% chance Tij has a better career.

Tij looks like a very good prospect though, teams will love the bloodlines and his trajectory from last year to this year. Skates well, has solid size and a good shot and is close to 50 goals in the WHL. I think he goes anywhere from about #7-12.

Catton obviously looks great and is shredding the league apart but it won't shock me if Tij gets picked higher. Catton looks 5'10" at best and scrawny, teams will have to get a good look at him at the Combine in projecting what he might play at in the NHL.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
With the way he’s trending plus the appealing bloodline, does this kid make it out of the top 10?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Jarome had 625 goals and 1300 points. There's a <0.1% chance Tij has a better career.

Tij looks like a very good prospect though, teams will love the bloodlines and his trajectory from last year to this year. Skates well, has solid size and a good shot and is close to 50 goals in the WHL. I think he goes anywhere from about #7-12.

Catton obviously looks great and is shredding the league apart but it won't shock me if Tij gets picked higher. Catton looks 5'10" at best and scrawny, teams will have to get a good look at him at the Combine in projecting what he might play at in the NHL.
Great assessment here. Teams on draft day will really love the frame and package Tij comes with. These two are on the same tier for me. Two very different players

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He has 27 points less than Catton in the same league.

Any GM that takes him ahead of Catton should be fired.
I have no issues with people preferring Catton and point totals do matter, but it's not the end all be all.

Drouin outproduced Mackinnon by 30 points on the same team during their draft years, and we all know how their careers have played out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no issues with people preferring Catton and point totals do matter, but it's not the end all be all.

Drouin outproduced Mackinnon by 30 points on the same team during their draft years, and we all know how their careers have played out.
I get your point, but wouldn’t you say we are talking about a pretty opposite situation? I would compare MacKinnon closer to Catton and Drouin closer to Iginla.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is an extremely dumb take.
So you think Iginla plays similar to MacKinnon and Drouin to Catton?

I think Catton actually has a lot of similarities to MacKinnon. Not to say Iginla will turn out like Drouin or he plays that similar, but there's a reason Catton has scored so much more this season. He's a better player. I wouldn't complicate it any more than that.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
So you think Iginla plays similar to MacKinnon and Drouin to Catton?

I think Catton actually has a lot of similarities to MacKinnon. Not to say Iginla will turn out like Drouin or he plays that similar, but there's a reason Catton has scored so much more this season. He's a better player. I wouldn't complicate it any more than that.

I think choosing to compare Drouin, Catton, Iginla and MacKinnon tells me you never saw any of them play in junior.

Reactions: Andrei79

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think choosing to compare Drouin, Catton, Iginla and MacKinnon tells me you never saw any of them play in junior.
And you'd be wrong.

What is even your point? You call my take dumb. I try to engage your disrespectful comment in good faith, and then you claim I've never seen any of them play in junior.

Do you have anything productive to add to the discussion? Serious question.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
This is an extremely dumb take.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

He brought up Drouin and McKinnon to illuminate the differences between Catton and Ignilia and how their current point totals may not accurately reflect projectability.

He's not comparing them stylistically, or skill-wise. The comparison is the difference. Tough concept, but maybe you should try harder or something before randomly spouting off.

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
Catton has superior vision and playmaking skills, giving him more points upside in the NHL, but I still lean Iginla. I think his game translates better to the big stage. He has a great motor and a lethal shot, and he consistently gets to the inside. His steep upward curve and young age certainly help his stock. Catton might have a little bit more raw ability but except for his vision nothing really screams high-end potential to me. Some compare Catton to Benson from last year but I think Benson had way more impact on a game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Catton has superior vision and playmaking skills, giving him more points upside in the NHL, but I still lean Iginla. I think his game translates better to the big stage. He has a great motor and a lethal shot, and he consistently gets to the inside. His steep upward curve and young age certainly help his stock. Catton might have a little bit more raw ability but except for his vision nothing really screams high-end potential to me. Some compare Catton to Benson from last year but I think Benson had way more impact on a game.
Catton has comfortably better numbers than Benson did. Plays on a much worse team. He’s also 2 inches taller and a much better skater.

I think some people want so badly for Iginla to be something he’s not. He’s a good player. Compared to the best players in this draft he’s going to be exposed. He might only be Alex Nylander in the sense of a player who teams made a mistake to pick too high due to his last name. I think he can be better than that and Nylander wasn’t that bad of a prospect. Hasn’t worked out as it could’ve, but I think there’s too many emotional views of his potential and not enough related strictly to what he will be. Jarome isn’t returning to the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad