Post-Game Talk: F*** the Penguins | Washington @ Pittsburgh | 1/19/21 7:00 PM ET | NBCSN, NBCSWashington, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
For what it's worth I liked the new lines. It was easily Kuznetsov's best game this season and I thought Sprong actually had a few decent opportunities himself. I also like Oshie and Eller together, they seem to have some good chemistry.

Just cut out the stupid penalties and mistakes.
I feel the talent is there, the roster construction is solid (minus some scoring touch in the bottom six), and I really like Lavi's system... it's up to the guys on the ice to play like they're capable of playing. Not much more BMac could have done for this locker room.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
New year, same obsession... try a hobby in 2021

ForsakenZealousBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

sorry to interrupt you, when you were on a such a roll lecturing everyone on how to be hockey fans. ;)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Honestly, its my fault guys... I think I am 0-6 on GDTs or something like that over the years... Sorry!

Reactions: searle

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm with @Langway on the defensive pairs. Orlov and Carlson just aren't cutting it together. I was hoping that they'd be able to complement each other but it just doesn't seem to be working out so far. The other two pairs have been good to very good so you hate to break either of them up, but you can't keep having a top pairing that is getting buried and not producing on the other end.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm with @Langway on the defensive pairs. Orlov and Carlson just aren't cutting it together. I was hoping that they'd be able to complement each other .

I am curious. How did you expect them to compliment each other? They largely bring the same skill set. The other pairs present a stay at home defense first defenseman and a mobile puck moving defenseman. They have different skill sets that compliment each other.

This was supposed to be Orlov's chance to show he was a legit 1d. Laviolette singled him out as did McCarthey. They have given the primary defensive assignments to Chara and Jensen and so Carlson Orlov have been provided with matchups that favor their attack skills. The result is nothing from Orlov and Carlson looks nothing like the Reirden era Carlson.

What sort of complimentation were you expecting?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I am curious. How did you expect them to compliment each other? They largely bring the same skill set. The other pairs present a stay at home defense first defenseman and a mobile puck moving defenseman. They have different skill sets that compliment each other.

This was supposed to be Orlov's chance to show he was a legit 1d. Laviolette singled him out as did McCarthey. They have given the primary defensive assignments to Chara and Jensen and so Carlson Orlov have been provided with matchups that favor their attack skills. The result is nothing from Orlov and Carlson looks nothing like the Reirden era Carlson.

Plenty of top pairs have two players who can contribute offensively: Josi and Ellis, Jones and Werenski, Spurgeon and Suter, Slavin and Hamilton, and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head. Combined with the fact that Orlov-Carlson was decent in limited time together last year I was hoping it would click. So far it obviously hasn't.

Reactions: pman25 and Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How do we feel about Panik Eller Oshie as the new 2nd line? It was just one game but Laviolette clearly was pushing Eller's group as the 2nd choice line and Oshie being there is a further indication. There is only so much ice time and Oshie is not going to be playing bottom 6 minutes. If that line remains together, I am thinking it will get the 2nd most TOI

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How do we feel about Panik Eller Oshie as the new 2nd line? It was just one game but Laviolette clearly was pushing Eller's group as the 2nd choice line and Oshie being there is a further indication. There is only so much ice time and Oshie is not going to be playing bottom 6 minutes. If that line remains together, I am thinking it will get the 2nd most TOI

very curious to see if this is a trend or simply a game specific circumstance.

Imagine our arrogance in fielding an ECHLer as a 2C..lol...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Plenty of top pairs have two players who can contribute offensively: Josi and Ellis, Jones and Werenski, Spurgeon and Suter, Slavin and Hamilton, and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head. Combined with the fact that Orlov-Carlson was decent in limited time together last year I was hoping it would click. So far it obviously hasn't.

I will try again. How were you hoping they would be complimentary?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
very curious to see if this is a trend or simply a game specific circumstance.

Imagine our arrogance in fielding an ECHLer as a 2C..lol...

I suggested yesterday that this was a doghouse line. So, I am inclined to think it wasnt game situation. Listen to Lavy post game. He has like Panik since camp. He has liked Eller the last 3 games. Oshie is Oshie and still being full on Oshie. If the idea was to spread the wealth to the 3rd line, you are effectively demoting Oshie. He hadnt earned that. While you can make a case that Kuzy and Vrana have. Add that Sprong is playing for his career. Its easy to see the hope that Sprong's desire would push the other two on effort.

Kuzy was the assigned project from MacLellan for Laviolette. This is an outward sign that he is working that agenda

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I suggested yesterday that this was a doghouse line. So, I am inclined to think it wasnt game situation. Listen to Lavy post game. He has like Panik since camp. He has liked Eller the last 3 games. Oshie is Oshie and still being full on Oshie. If the idea was to spread the wealth to the 3rd line, you are effectively demoting Oshie. He hadnt earned that. While you can make a case that Kuzy and Vrana have. Add that Sprong is playing for his career. Its easy to see the hope that Sprong's desire would push the other two on effort.

Kuzy was the assigned project from MacLellan for Laviolette. This is an outward sign that he is working that agenda

Savvy vet coaching move if this is true.....get the better performer off the line, then adjust ice time without making it a public or even super noticeable thing. Also felt like Sprong’s hunger had something to do with that move...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Savvy vet coaching move if this is true.....get the better performer off the line, then adjust ice time without making it a public or even super noticeable thing. Also felt like Sprong’s hunger had something to do with that move...

I just checked. Kuzy's toi is down 2.5 mins from last season and 3.5 mins from the 2 before that. I would say the agenda is ongoing. Vrana barely plays more than either Panik or Hagelin

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

If the takeaway you’ve gleaned from this experiment is that Orlov isn’t good enough, get your eyes checked. Carlson has looked utterly lost out there in his own zone this season (as he sometimes did under Reirden as well).

Defensive pairs aren’t just about “pick one stay at home and one offensive” D. Players can compliment one another in numerous different ways. It’s often about simply finding chemistry and being able to read off of one another. Knowing when to pinch up because the other guy will cover, or knowing when to make yourself available for a cross ice pass, or knowing when to follow your check into the far side of the ice because your partner will read off of that. These two players haven’t found that chemistry, but it’s not because of any stylistic issues. This isn’t that both of them are jumping into the same rushes all the time and abandoning the zone. This isn’t that there’s nobody who can break out of the defensive zone. This isn’t that there’s nobody who can protect the crease. This is simply two players who aren’t reading and reacting to one another, and are blowing in zone coverages as a result.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I just checked. Kuzy's toi is down 2.5 mins from last season and 3.5 mins from the 2 before that. I would say the agenda is ongoing. Vrana barely plays more than either Panik or Hagelin
It’s only four games, with tons of PK time and not a ton of PP time so far. So it’s not surprising that PKers have high TOI and PP2 guys don’t.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I will try again. How were you hoping they would be complimentary?

In addition to what Hivemind said I was hoping that Orlov's ability to drive possession would reduce the impact of Carlson's weaknesses in the defensive zone, and that Carlson's ability to create goals would make increased possession more meaningful.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In addition to what Hivemind said I was hoping that Orlov's ability to drive possession would reduce the impact of Carlson's weaknesses in the defensive zone, and that Carlson's ability to create goals would make increased possession more meaningful.

Thanks for the answer. These two have the biggest adjustment of the 3 pairs. It will take more time.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Love it. Most of the flaws that have been here long-term get exposed in a span of 60 minutes, and we still got a point.

Dominate most of the game only to let it slide because of dumb penalties and lack of effort? Check (everyone).

Shaky goaltending? Check.

Stupid penalties for absolutely no reason at the worst times? Check (Oshie penalty which lead to the game-tying goal and Eller penalty on the PK).

No offensive threats in the bottom-6 save for Eller? Check (They blew a 3-0 breakaway and dozens of other Grade A chances).

PK? They took 3 penalties, one of those being the Eller penalty on the PK which lead to 5-on-3. Penguins scored once and had half of their shots in this game on the rest of that other penalty. The third penalty of the game was Oshie going for the dumbest penalty of all-time, which ended up in their own net too.

PP? They gave away a 5-on-3 SHG on a beer-league play all around. Kuznetsov dumbs the puck on DeSmith (why the hell would you do that in a 5-on-3 situation???) and then everyone else just proceed to slide around without a care in the world, nobody defending.

Laviolette has some work to do. Should propably start by firing Forsythe, switching up the PP1 unit to light a fire up their asses, firing Sprong into the sun and fixing the bottom-6.

6 points in 4 away games is very good, don't get me wrong. It's just all the issues that lead to us not only losing but being swept by the Islanders are still here. This team as it is right now is not a Cup contender, it's a bubble team.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The players (as a whole) aren’t serious about another Cup. I think the FO is but it’s on GMBM to do something and get hungrier, (younger?) guys in here. A LOT of passengers and unfortunately some of them are important players. Until they make a move and try to re-configure the team, they’re no threat to compete for anything. In addition to no urgency, they’re naturally declining due to age.
Let's be honest here. Everyone knows those guys that drag this team down last couple of years. Some already gave up on em, some still hold onto the hope that they somehow will develop or return to their top shape. But all anti heroes on this team are very well known and FO won't do shit about it unless Ovechkin's era comes to an end. It's that simple. They're afraid to do any drastic moves right now because they're prisoners of the idea that they're still contenders with the people they have. They're wrong but don't want to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad