F Rodion Amirov (2020, 15th, TOR) - tragically passed away due to brain tumor 8/14/23

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So happy to hear this. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can come to the NHL one day. Would be awesome. Rooting for this kid
As someone who had a close friend get brain cancer in his mid 20s, and passed away last year at 34 after it came back, this is a painful story to watch with one of my teams top prospects (although, I would feel for anyone who is battling this, its a horrific disease). Hopefully, even if he can never make the NHL, he can live a long and productive life. Obviously, I'd love to see him become an elite NHLer wearing blue and white, but Rodion Amirov the person at this point living a long life is so much more important than Rodion Amirov the potential Toronto Maple Leafs player.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As someone who had a close friend get brain cancer in his mid 20s, and passed away last year at 34 after it came back, this is a painful story to watch with one of my teams top prospects (although, I would feel for anyone who is battling this, its a horrific disease). Hopefully, even if he can never make the NHL, he can live a long and productive life. Obviously, I'd love to see him become an elite NHLer wearing blue and white, but Rodion Amirov the person at this point living a long life is so much more important than Rodion Amirov the potential Toronto Maple Leafs player.
So sorry for your loss. Absolutely living and quality of life come first and foremost. I’m sure he’s happy to be doing better. Just saying I hope he is through the worst of it and can come back strong and love his dream.

Cancer is one of those things we all wish could just go away and not exist. Terrible what it does to people.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So sorry for your loss. Absolutely living and quality of life come first and foremost. I’m sure he’s happy to be doing better. Just saying I hope he is through the worst of it and can come back strong and love his dream.

Cancer is one of those things we all wish could just go away and not exist. Terrible what it does to people.
Oh yea, I'm sure his dream scenario and what would make him happiest is coming back healthy and living his NHL dream, and it would be awesome to see. I know you meant all the best. Was just adding that even if he can't come back to hockey or become a star player that a happy ending doesn't have to include anything hockey related.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At first I thought that the Marlies would have been the better path for him because of more minutes etc but then yea...you're young...just battling/battled a terrible illness...maybe if he's able to play this year, playing in the KHL isn't the worst thing.

As others have echoed, the person comes first though.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah probably best to be around family and friends and not have to battle a new culture and language barrier in addition to cancer recovery.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah probably best to be around family and friends and not have to battle a new culture and language barrier in addition to cancer recovery.
Health care system also makes it a bit more complicated. While Toronto has very well-respected hospitals like UHN Network and Sunnybrook, these are public institutions, and getting him to the front of the line for cancer treatment would be difficult (I'm sure Leafs would gladly foot whatever bill there would be), compared to say somewhere like NYC where a team could just get him into Sloan Kettering or Minnesota where they could send him to Mayo Clinic.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
At first I thought that the Marlies would have been the better path for him because of more minutes etc but then yea...you're young...just battling/battled a terrible illness...maybe if he's able to play this year, playing in the KHL isn't the worst thing.

As others have echoed, the person comes first though.
And being by his family too.

Reactions: Kelly

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
f*** man, i am so sorry.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Very happy to hear that the treatment is going well. Hoping that he overcomes this and live a long, fulfilling life.

If he can get back to playing hockey, that's just a bonus. One hurdle at a time. Praying for his health.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A friend of mine's 12yo died from this. Really, really tough to take at any age, but 12yo is just unfair. I sure am rooting for Amirov, team allegiances be damned.

On the positive side, I know of at least two people who had brain tumours removed, and are doing well many years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad