Prospect Info: (F) Paul Ludwinski - 2022 NHL Draft, 39th Overall

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
[5'11". 183lbs. Born on April 23, 2004]

8374.jpg

He was forced to play 2C behind Shane Wright this year. Expect him to breakout as the 1C next season.

FXJ2hyTWIAYFdPn

Last edited:

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Compete guy who can skate and play make...sounds like more was expected offensively, but makes a lot of plays to help win a game.....I like it....change of culture is on the way!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I had hin targeted as my 1st choice for our 57th pick because he was exoectef to go late 2nd on most rankings ...However rather than call it a reach to take him as high as 39th,tge scheer fact I really really like him both where hev is now and for his potential ( which should bloom this season as he gets amore featured top roke).

Before the Draft started and before we made trades my strike list of targets for round 2 eas:

1 Gkeb Trikhozov
2 Julian Lutz
3 Noah Warren
These for the #38 spot

And

4.. Paul Ludwinski
5. Ryan Greene
6.Topoi Ronni

These as target consuderation forvtge #57 soot

As it turned out we lost the 38th pick to move uoto #25 in tge Nrazek deal but got tge 49th in tge D-Cat deal ...

So as it turned out I actually hit 2 off my 6 targets four 2 picks in the 2nd round....And as it turned out obviously they were targeting centers nit wingersor dmen in round 2....and after taking 2 Dmen and a Center in roundc1,they were not hoibgvto take wingers or anitger Dmanin roubdc2..

So if that was tge strategy...load up on more centers on round 2,I actualky hit on the top 2 centers I had off my original strike list for thus roubd!

We got both Ludwinski and Greene !

I was hoping to get only 1 of them at #57...but by taking Ludwinski earlier than exoected they doubled down and got both my 2 top Center targets I had for roubd 2 anyway!

It turns out that we akso took Gavin Hayes much earlier than I had him on my strike list.

I had him as a target cinsideration for our #90 pick or grabbing him at tge #81 if my other targets for that pick were off the board.

Before thecdraft we did not have a 66th pick ...

So Hayes I expected to go late 3rd...not at the top of tge draft where we grabbed him.

But in any case I did identify Ludwinski ,Greene and Hayes as prospects I had on my small strike list for rounds2 andc3...

2 of them...Ludwinski and Hayes went earlier to us tgan I had expected.

Still thiscisctgecfirst draft I got 3 targetsvplucked from my strike list...usually itbis zero or 1 only that my list agrees with picks Hawks actualky make....

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I just want to add that I watched Kingston play I think it was 12 orx13 times this season and in playoffs ...Naturally I tuned in to see what Wright was doing (there were a couple of these games where Wright was out of the lineup due to Covid or injury) but in the games both Wright and Ludwinsky were in the lineup,I only saw 1 or 2 games you could say Wright looked good...In most of the the games both were in the lineup that I saw,I came away more impressed by Ludwinski that the meh game I saw from Wright on these nights Either I caught Wright in too many games that simply he was off form or I was unlucky enough to catch him in his best games... whatever I came to watch Wright and time after time instead, I seemed to always cone away more inpressed by Ludwinski than by Wright . I saw sone stinker games by Kingston as a team in some of these games..buti again even in team stinker games Ludwinski seemed to be their best pkayer ...O I not recall hom playing any stinker games..but I saw a lot of Wright stinkers.

I saw consistent effort Ludwinski.

Also remember that Ludwinsku did not get to play in a featured role..hexwas not theirx1C or played on the #1pp unit..

So when you start tgecseason as a 3C and only move upto 2C when there is an injury to a vet C and they do not feature you on the #1pp unit,you will not score starry level points...but still Ludwinski kept passing my eyectest.

Like me,Hawksxscouts cane to primarily watch Wright in Kingston games...butvluje me tgey clearly came away inoressedcmore bycLudwinski on the eye test.
I think theycsee what I saw.. a kid whose points will be a kit higher this seadon as he will be given a much higher role ...unless Wright gets sent back to Jrs for 1 mirexsesdon. But at least he will start tgexsesskn no lower than 2C and he will get top Pp time ...Kingston willbe losing a kotvofvtheirvokder vetsxup front .. So Ludwonski will getca bjgfercrolevthiscseason..abdvofxWrifgtcstocksvin Seattle then Ludwinski goescto 1C for Kingston.

I think Ludwinski had ax3C flour and a 2C ceiling when hhe hits tge NHL...whatever line he plays C on ...you will be seeing consistent efforts...not slack...and you will get a 200ft player.

I came to see Wright...I came away morevimpressed by Ludwinski..

So I reakky like this pick, esoecially since I viewed him in so many games ion whereas for all our other picks except Gavin Hayes who I also views a lot thisxsesdon and also was very impressed and high on) ,I either caught very few games fir Nazar and Kirchinski and saw no games of any others we picked.

In any case tajevut from me.. Ludwinski and Hayes pass theceyectest t...Love these 2 OHLers as picks we made.
Have no worries about then making it to tge Show .and helping a futurre Hawks team win.

In a few years...

Reichel 1C
Nazar 2C
Ludwinski 3C
Greene 4C

Basically you get 2C inLudwinskivand?Greene playong as 2 botyom sox Cs...

Thus is cebter depth.

Of we get Bedard..then we have over flow..

Center could be taken care of for a long time..

Somebody may need to move to wing.

If we fo not get Bedard...then we address a starxatxRW with Michkov.

Eothercway getca febearstiobsl forward.

If w do not not get the #2or#2 nrxt draft,can trade Fantilli at #3 or#4 for more picks in a deep 2923 draft and fill with emphasis on wingers and goalies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
A detailed report on Ludwinski for you with lots of video (subscribers only):

My write up on him.

Some stuff from my media scout poll on him.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
That looked nasty and the Minny guy seemed to get him up pretty high.....5 minute major worthy

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Not sure when he will be in the NHL, but he will be Toews replacement eventually....mark my words!

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
That looked nasty and the Minny guy seemed to get him up pretty high.....5 minute major worthy

Ludwinski skated right into the Minny player. Just unfortunate for Paul. Gotta look before you cut.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Kind of surprised. Did he have a good season? Haven’t heard his name much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad