F Mitchell Davis - former child prodigy (2008 OHL Draft, 203rd overall, Erie Otters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Anyone else remember Mitchell Davis?

In 2000 I saw a news report about a 7-year old named Mitchell Davis. He was a phenom who had broken Wayne Gretzky’s record for scoring at age 7. I immediately wrote his name down on the inside cover of one of my books, knowing I’d come across it again one day and look him up. I was curious what a kid who showed so much promise and dominance at such a young age would look like by the time he was junior aged.
I recently came across his name and immediately knew that if he made it big, I’d have heard his name by now. So I did a little research and I came across this:
http://www.penguin.ca/static/pdf/previews/selling-the-dream-ch1.pdf
Really interesting, but also quite sad. Not sure if his story is typical or not. But it’s a sobering reminder that just because your kid scores at will when they’re 7, they’re no sure bet to be dominant when dropped into a bigger pond. If anything, it demonstrates just how good you have to be to make it.
And maybe there’s more to it, but the idea of everyone gunning for you for the rest of your life because you were a phenomenal hockey player at age 7 is pretty sad.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
His Eliteprospects page was ready and waiting for him...too bad...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233101

From the article...

His fifth goal that game gave him 105, which broke the “record” for goals by a seven-year-old held by Wayne Gretzky. And that was also the precise point in time when, in the words of his father Jonny Davis, “our world turned upside down.”

The back problems became too painful for him to play in 2009–10, and he finally had back surgery in February 2010. By the fall of that year he was ready to start working out again, and he went too aggressively and had another setback. Doctors told him he had a torn cremaster, which is the muscle that surrounds the testicle. With no cure aside from months of rest and inactivity, Davis spent a lot of time on the couch contemplating his hockey future.

In the fall of 2010 Davis was considering getting back on the ice, and the Jr. A team in North Bay was hoping he would sign with them to play the season. But in an email message to Skyhawks GM Chris Dawson, Davis essentially announced his retirement. It was ironic given that Dawson was the one who had started the whole frenzy in the first place with his initial television report on Davis.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad