F Mikhail Ilyin - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2023, 142nd, PIT)

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

Has/having a productive draft year in the MHL, just below PPG.

Great at controlling the play at the MHL level, good puck possession, smart and deceptive playmaker. He plays a slower, methodolical style in the MHL which had me wondering about the speed he can play at, but his speed and skating look good at the KHL level. I question where his offensive upside is really at, but he shows good intelligence and strong all-around play.

Only video I have is his most recent KHL assist with a strip and touch pass to Guslistov:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Ilyin played most of the second half of the season in the KHL. Only played in 10 MHL games from December on, and had 14 points in those 10 games.

Seems to be unranked by nearly every ranking going in to the draft, not even ranked by Central Scouting.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Anyone able to catch his games this season? Hes had an incredible start to the season

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
It's really early but 20 games into his KHL season and he's ranked 9th all time in points and 5th all time in PPG for an 18 year old.

For reference, he's just ahead of Kaprizov and right behind Tarasenko in PPG ranking for 18 year olds. Not necessarily saying he's on their level, those 2 were much better at 17 in the KHL and maybe it'd a bit of a hotsreak

Nonetheless, its still really impressive what he's doing so far and not bad at all for where he was drafted.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The production continues: 22P in 41G now. Has anyone who tracks Russian prospects actually been able to watch him play? All that's up are just highlights (which are better than nothing, but still).

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Incredible production from an 18 year old in the KHL. Did anyone have a chance to catch his games this season?
He was looking rather organic on Severstal's first line for most part of the season, but maybe like last month or two he was a bit out of gas, which is not surprising for someone that age. Was more like a supporting cast and the third guy to Pilipenko and Aimurzin on that line, which sort of inflated his numbers, but still he showed great awareness to make that line click and not to be looking out of place.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
He had pretty good game, had fine primary assist for the second goal. Kid is pretty good on puck and pretty creative. I have seen him few times in the KHL and he fit in the first line of Severstal very well.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Four assists in five playoff games to finish his first full season in the KHL.

Contract with Severstal runs through next season. Any word on when he signs with the Penguins and how long it will be before he reaches Pittsburgh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad