F Michael Hage - Chicago Steel, USHL (2024 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hockey Canada always has their guys and sticks to it. He definitely won't be handed a spot on any WJC team.
In this case, I wonder if there's some pettiness regarding his choice to play for the Steel/Michigan. He was a very pick in the OHL Draft, which might suggest they didn't feel like he was upfront/considering his options, etc.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
In this case, I wonder if there's some pettiness regarding his choice to play for the Steel/Michigan. He was a very pick in the OHL Draft, which might suggest they didn't feel like he was upfront/considering his options, etc.

For me, there is no other rationale. I've watched this class of Canadian players pretty closely this year, and Hage is easily better than most of the forwards selected IMO. I think he should've been their first line centre.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Assuming he went Top 10 in the OHL draft because he didn't tell people up front, like Warrior says. That would definitely rub people the wrong way.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Assuming he went Top 10 in the OHL draft because he didn't tell people up front, like Warrior says. That would definitely rub people the wrong way.
He signed his tender with Chicago before the OHL draft, so I think his intentions were clear to OHL teams. Kitchener picked him knowing full well he had this commitment in place, but figured since they were successful with Rehkopf, who had signed a USHL tender the previous year but ultimately committed to Kitchener, they would also swing on Hage.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
At this point playing for the Steel and going to UM is kind of a tried and true path for top Ontario kids. That said, I do wonder if Hage would have even more buzz if he were in the OHL right now. He's clearly a first rounder but I think he’s got a very good chance to go in the top half of the round, maybe even tail end of the lottery, the way he ended the season stronger and stronger. The offensive upside is tantalizing here.
They hype would be immense if he was playing in Kitchener with the young crop we have coming up right now (Lam, Romano, Stark, Reid). As a biased observer it would have been fun to watch as well.

Reactions: Habsrule

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

There is a long list of Canadian players who were left off junior rosters because they chose to play college hockey in the USA. The same can be said of Americans who played in the CHL.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
There is a long list of Canadian players who were left off junior rosters because they chose to play college hockey in the USA. The same can be said of Americans who played in the CHL.
Seems pretty petty. I can't believe adults let a kid's choice dictate theirs. I know u r right, it just blows my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad