F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024 Draft)

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I was at the BC/BU game yesterday. My first time seeing Celebrini live. I've previously seen a couple periods of BU on TV and thought Celebrini might be veering toward Shane Wright/Alexis Lafrieniere territory. I was wrong. In person he is dynamic. Much better skater than I thought. Maybe not elite speed, but definitely elite quickness. Competitive, great hockey sense, great vision, great hands, great shot. He is not a prototypical modern center in that he is not powerful and does not hold on to the puck long and skate through checks.

NHL comps might be, from favorable to less favorable:

Sakic
Yzerman
Marner
RHN
Seguin

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I was at the BC/BU game yesterday. My first time seeing Celebrini live. I've previously seen a couple periods of BU on TV and thought Celebrini might be veering toward Shane Wright/Alexis Lafrieniere territory. I was wrong. In person he is dynamic. Much better skater than I thought. Maybe not elite speed, but definitely elite quickness. Competitive, great hockey sense, great vision, great hands, great shot. He is not a prototypical modern center in that he is not powerful and does not hold on to the puck long and skate through checks.

Sakic
Yzerman
Marner
RHN
Seguin
I think Celebrini plays like an elite RNH with MacKinnon type aggression

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He had a rough game last time I saw him against Northeastern (couple bad giveaways and got himself hit hard) but showed last night that he is truly an elite prospect.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Sakic
Yzerman
Marner
RHN
Seguin
I actually like the Yzerman comparison a lot. He's not an explosive skater but he's slippery and shifty with the puck, like Stevie. Sneaky good passer too, with a great release (and one timer). Like Yzerman, he's a master at managing his time and space. He also has the makings of a big game player, he doesn't shy away from the moment. And he's not afraid of going to the tough areas.

I don't think he'll be as good as Yzerman, mostly because the 80's were a better era for that sort of skill set, but stylistically there's a lot of similarities.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neither of them were explosive as Celebrini at the same age (obvs Laf has more of a case).

If you asked me 2 years ago I'd be much, much less bullish on either of their chances to hit 100p as I would be now. The game is just trending in that direction.
Hughes isn’t a guarantee either. He had 99 last year. He won’t get there this season.

100 points is hard to hit, even if you are a great player. Very few ever hit it.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Can’t remember the last time such a completely clear-cut 1OA pick got so little attention. Not even two full pages of discussion in the new year! I guess the lack of a challenger somewhat kills the interest.
That's part of it. There's also the factor of it being a Canadian who plays NCAA. Bedard got the mega hype train from the Canadian media as a Canadian who stayed home to play in the CHL in the Dub. Jack Hughes got the hype train from the US media as a US guy who played for the NTDP and represented the States well.

Celebrini doesn't get the same TSN/Sportsnet jerk off that Bedard did because he went to the USHL and NCAA, and the US hockey media is smaller, plus the NCAA hockey circles are dominated by Minnesota and New England voices, so they don't jerk off the Canadian as much as they would if he were from the States.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Celebrini doesn't get the same TSN/Sportsnet jerk off that Bedard did because he went to the USHL and NCAA, and the US hockey media is smaller, plus the NCAA hockey circles are dominated by Minnesota and New England voices, so they don't jerk off the Canadian as much as they would if he were from the States.
I consume pretty much everything related to college hockey I can and I haven’t seen anyone who hasn’t been giving Celebrini his dues. The general consensus is he’s the best freshman since Eichel. I think the catch is BU is probably a little bit overshadowed by BC right now because of what Perrault, Smith, Leonard and Gauthier are doing so they’re getting a little bit more of the headlines. That said, especially after the 1st round of the beanpot people were really honed in on him. He’ll get lots of headlines in the NCAAs especially if BU makes the frozen four

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Part of it may also be because of hype fatigue.. he's an excellent 1 OA and what he is doing is special, but he isn't billed as a Bedard. I would expect we get more in next year's draft.

But he also doesn't have a challenger at all, I thought going into the year he would as my viewings late last year were good but not special. He's been special this year compared to the field and Eiserman falling like a stone doesn't help, Lindstrom got that injury, and Silayev hasn't kept up his production from early on.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m sure this debate has been had a million times but if he was in last years draft, would he go above Carlsson and/or Fantilli?

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I’m sure this debate has been had a million times but if he was in last years draft, would he go above Carlsson and/or Fantilli?
He’s certainly in the conversation. I’d have probably had him at 2 on my board last year but it’s so close between him, Fantilli, and Carlsson

Reactions: cheechoo

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He's a better producing forward than Fantilli, but Fantilli has a bit more bite/edge in his game. Remember, Celebrini is doing this in his 17 year old season whereas Fantilli did what he did in the NCAA in his 18 year old season. Celebrini is far ahead of Carlsson IMHO

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He's a better producing forward than Fantilli, but Fantilli has a bit more bite/edge in his game. Remember, Celebrini is doing this in his 17 year old season whereas Fantilli did what he did in the NCAA in his 18 year old season. Celebrini is far ahead of Carlsson IMHO
Far ahead might be pushing it. Carlsson has the frame, the two-way play, and the playmaking and creativity, but a bit less finishing. No question Celebrini is in the conversation and seems like he could have been 2OA last year without controversy, but I think it's pretty close. I certainly like him as a prospect more than Fantilli.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad