F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why could he fall? He’s small, isn’t the best skater, isn’t flashy and and is likely a winger in the NHL. He doesn’t have the upside of others in the class. I think he’s a safe bet as a second line winger, but not much more.

He's 5'11 (not tiny), he's an above-average skater, is extremely effective (scouts don't care about flash as much as HF) and is a strong two-way player, which makes him a fit up the middle.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Interesting! I could be wrong, but I thought I heard some scouts say that they think that Catton, Iginla and Helenius will all end up as wingers in the NHL.

Why could he fall? He’s small, isn’t the best skater, isn’t flashy and and is likely a winger in the NHL. He doesn’t have the upside of others in the class. I think he’s a safe bet as a second line winger, but not much more.

He's the most center looking center I've ever seen center.

And he's not much below average size, 5'11 with an already strong build, not in the understrength category like Catton.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably. I would not be shocked if Kraken have him high. He pretty much fits what Francis likes. Plus we appear to have gone for a few Finnish players and feel like we have a decent scouting group in that area.

I am definitely an internet scout who has only watched some of his youtube videos. Really like him, but at 8 (assuming the lottery stands. I hope SJ wins) I would really like someone like Catton, Parekh, etc. Someone with a high offensive upside.
What makes you think that Helenius doesn’t have high upside but Catton does?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's 5'11 (not tiny), he's an above-average skater, is extremely effective (scouts don't care about flash as much as HF) and is a strong two-way player, which makes him a fit up the middle.

He seems like he's a lot stockier in his lower body than a guy like Ostlund - Helenius looks like he can stack pounds onto that frame and already moves really well, creates against men, and is no shrinking violet. If anything, he should be rising. I hope he double dips at the U18's and the WC's just to see the mayhem on lists closer to the draft.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He seems like he's a lot stockier in his lower body than a guy like Ostlund - Helenius looks like he can stack pounds onto that frame and already moves really well, creates against men, and is no shrinking violet. If anything, he should be rising. I hope he double dips at the U18's and the WC's just to see the mayhem on lists closer to the draft.

He's also really good along the boards, fighting for pucks and at protecting it from the opposition.

It's not even a problem now and he's only going to get bigger and stronger.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Interesting! I could be wrong, but I thought I heard some scouts say that they think that Catton, Iginla and Helenius will all end up as wingers in the NHL.
Catton and Iginla yes, Helenius I don't see any way. He has all the tools for center and what he lacks in size, explosive first step and physicality will hurt him less at center. He's just going to have the puck or help his team have the puck a lot and create some offense himself. At wing, the traits that let him succeed would be less valuable.

What elite tool does Catton have that Helenius doesn’t?
From what I have seen, Catton has better hands and play in small areas compared to Helenius, better finishing ability aswell. Sure, he might have had more time to do all those things and less pressure on him, so I don't know what those abilities look at the NHL, which I think is what you were implying?

Also, it's clear Helenius has many pro traits already which some guys never develop and in a very good balance.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
5’11 is small, his skating isn’t above average, for a player his size it’s bad. Really needs to work on it, especially for someone expected to be a centre. I think that he’s going to have difficulty adjusting to the NHL because of his lack of pace, his size and his lack of physicality.

I would have him below a lot of higher upside kids if I made a list. I’d probably say I’d have him around 11

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
New Jersey is loaded at center.

Not as loaded as we'd like. Naturally Hughes/Hischier are signed for the next few years but there's nobody really brewing on the farm. Dawson Mercer has been more effective at wing than center. Erik Haula is signed for a couple more years so it wouldn't be the worst idea to have somebody on an ELC to take the 3C spot as Luke/Nemec will be hitting their second contracts.

We had glimpses this year when Hughes/Hischier were hurt at separate times and it wasn't pretty. Might seem weird on the surface to take a center rather than a wing to play with Hughes, but most contending teams will have three useful scoring lines.

Not sure if it was related to the shoulder injury but Hughes spent most of the second half on wing as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not as loaded as we'd like. Naturally Hughes/Hischier are signed for the next few years but there's nobody really brewing on the farm. Dawson Mercer has been more effective at wing than center. Erik Haula is signed for a couple more years so it wouldn't be the worst idea to have somebody on an ELC to take the 3C spot as Luke/Nemec will be hitting their second contracts.

We had glimpses this year when Hughes/Hischier were hurt at separate times and it wasn't pretty. Might seem weird on the surface to take a center rather than a wing to play with Hughes, but most contending teams will have three useful scoring lines.

Not sure if it was related to the shoulder injury but Hughes spent most of the second half on wing as well.

Buffalo is in a similar position with dealing Mittelstadt and both Ostlund and Savoie potentially being wingers rather than centers. I could see them being interested at around 11.

Reactions: Brodeur

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5'11 is undersized. I think him being an above-average skater is up for debate. It's not like he's a Matthew Wood clear awful skater, but there's a debate whether he's a high level skater for his size. He may only be an average skater for his size, which isn't ideal. If you are picking someone in the top 10 and they are 5'11, you'd prefer skating being in the strength category.

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
Helenius is a good skater. Not great but good. Just ask any scout if you don´t believe me.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Classic HF overreaction. If a prospect doesn’t have Barzal-level speed, they must be bad skaters, right?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Classic HF overreaction. If a prospect doesn’t have Barzal-level speed, they must be bad skaters, right?
I think it’s more classic HF to get blinded by a statsheet when looking at a player, which I suspect is going on right here. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but are there elements to his game that make me question how effective he’ll be as an NHL player? Absolutely, yes.

At the end of the day I’d rather have these players who provide more upside.

Cayden Lindstrom
Berkley Catton
Macklin Celebrini
Artyom Levshunov
Zayne Parekh
Sam Dickinson
Ivan Demidov
Tij Iginla
Anton Silayev
Zeev Buium
Michael Hage

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
There is no heavy footedness there whatsoever. May not be a complete burner but he's quick. His IQ keeps him constantly in motion without looping all over the ice, and his reads are lightning fast. But then he's also strong on his feet and able to play a pretty heavy style in traffic against mature competition. I'm pretty confident he would have been able to hold his own at the NHL level already this season, more so than some taller prospects who are still growing into their frames.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well, Mikke Granlund had a decent career with being even worse of a skater at the same age. Yeah, Mikke always had great or even elite hockey-IQ but Helenius is a lot stronger and probably even faster at the same age.
Also, Granlund was and is smaller than Helenius is- or will be...

As a Philly supporter there are only a couple of prospects I'd rather see us draft before Helenius and they are: Celebrini, Demidov, Catton and perhaps Levshunov.
Parekh and Silayev are pretty much even with him for me. So Helenius as a 7th pick would be reasonable for me.
Mentioning 11 or more players before him as LeProNarci is a bit of a stretch for now. At least for me.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Saw someone else say this but Helenius reminds me alot of Eklund. Good draft year in a mens league, smart and responsible player. Not neccesarily the fastest.

I don't expect Sharks to take him top-3 but if he's there at 14 would be amazing lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad