F Justin Poirier - Baie-Comeau, QMJHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
after that, 1 goal and 2 goal games.

5 game point streak; 8+3=11 (2.20 ppg)

31 goals and about 50 points (46), 42 penalty minutes and is +23
with 137 shots on goal.

Leads the Q in goals.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
28 goals in 55 games last season
so far 37 goals in 48 games this season (7 goals in his last 7 games)

5 foot 8 / 190 lbs, i think he is fine
Nope, he ain’t even tall enough to ride a roller coaster in the USA. Let alone be a high end NHL player.

Where would you draft him?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He's the type of guy where he'll probably be a very good pro, but probably not in the NHL in the type of role he'd need to play. I expect him to go from rounds 4 to 7 somewhere, and I have no doubt he can at least become a goal goal scorer at the AHL level.

He's got that appetite and drive to score goals, he's strong and talented.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I like this guy, I really do.

Poirier competes hard along the boards, consistently finds weaknesses to eploit in coverage with his positioning, generally processes the game well, owns a good shot with basically an NHL-level release already; and despite not being the most gifted or natural puck-carrier/distributor himself Poirier can still makes plays while also being a good puck-possession, rush and transition player.

But then I took a closer look at Poirier's attributes as a player, and from the couple games I watched (against Halifax and Chicoutimi) it immediately became apparent to me that he is missing the mobility right now to play the type of game that makes him successful in the QMJHL at the NHL level, moreso given his diminutive stature/small reach, and lack of truly elite tools at his disposal.

Worse though is that I also think Poirier is a bit of an early-bloomer physically despite his being a young September-birthday compared to his cohort. Which, if true, puts into question whether or not there is much room for improvement for him skating-wise since in that scenario most gains would come purely through practice and refining mechanics/technique, unlike less physically-mature prospects.

So yeah, with those flaws of his, and an uneven defensive game from what I saw, I think that teams should not invest a high pick on Poirier in this year's draft.

But I still think Justin Poirier deserves a mid-rounds selection at the draft, and could actually develop into a nice middle-6 goalscoring forward if a couple of things go right for him.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I like this guy, I really do.

Poirier competes hard along the boards, consistently finds weaknesses to eploit in coverage with his positioning, generally processes the game well, owns a good shot with basically an NHL-level release already; and despite not being the most gifted or natural puck-carrier/distributor himself Poirier can still makes plays while also being a good puck-possession, rush and transition player.

But then I took a closer look at Poirier's attributes as a player, and from the couple games I watched (against Halifax and Chicoutimi) it immediately became apparent to me that he is missing the mobility right now to play the type of game that makes him successful in the QMJHL at the NHL level, moreso given his diminutive stature/small reach, and lack of truly elite tools at his disposal.

Worse though is that I also think Poirier is a bit of an early-bloomer physically despite his being a young September-birthday compared to his cohort. Which, if true, puts into question whether or not there is much room for improvement for him skating-wise since in that scenario most gains would come purely through practice and refining mechanics/technique, unlike less physically-mature prospects.

So yeah, with those flaws of his, and an uneven defensive game from what I saw, I think that teams should not invest a high pick on Poirier in this year's draft.

But I still think Justin Poirier deserves a mid-rounds selection at the draft, and could actually develop into a nice middle-6 goalscoring forward if a couple of things go right for him.

i disagree.

If i was a gm and had a late 1st, i'd pick him in the 1st round

there isn't many better goal scorers in this draft what Poirier
and you can't teach that, you either have the ability to score, or you don't

i also disagree that he wouldn't have elite tools, i think he does have all
the tools what is required

its easy to question small players skating (as it is for a really big guy)
because its hard to tell, usually smaller players skating at this age looks
different, looks like its lacking stuff, or what ever, but the reality is quite different

(i'm pulling out the DeBrincat card for like the millionth time but.. about 85% said
that, how his skating wasn't nearly as good what it should be and his lack of this
and that will give him troubles making it to the NHL...)

there will be again, be many 1st rounders this year (like at every draft) that will
bust and there will be (once again) later drafted players what would go in the 1st round
in a re-draft

do i think he'll go first round? no, but should he in my mind? yes

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'll go in the middle and say he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd round. To me, he's the typical prospect picked by a good team in the mid rounds, where years later, so many people are wondering "how did they get this guy".

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
i disagree.

different, looks like its lacking stuff, or what ever, but the reality is quite different

(i'm pulling out the DeBrincat card for like the millionth time but.. about 85% said
that, how his skating wasn't nearly as good what it should be and his lack of this

there will be again, be many 1st rounders this year (like at every draft) that will
bust and there will be (once again) later drafted players what would go in the 1st round
in a re-draft

As a French American I really like Poirier but 1st round, clearly no.

A 4th-7th round pick. I hardly see a team ranking him in their top 50 (rank necessary to be selected in the 3rd round)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Flames have 2 3rds & 2 4ths....I could see them taking him, guessing Jerimie is his brother

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
i disagree.

in a re-draft

Respectfully if you were a NHL GM, your propensity for hyping smaller scorers and guys who score at lower level leagues, would probably have you picking high in the first round.

He will get drafted as a project and some will wonder why he isn't rated higher as the years go by in the Q and he racks up goals then he will hit the wall in the AHL or maybe he becomes the exception that proves the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad