F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You compared him to Kucherov who was picked 58OA I d say it s quite high in that respect ;) I think MHL competition may lower his stock…

If you look at how some of regular KHLers are doing in the MHL playoffs, you will probably change your mind about weak league narrative.

Yeah, Kucherov was picked 58 OA, but look at this pretty fresh thread Kucherov: biggest draft steal of all-time?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If you look at how some of regular KHLers are doing in the MHL playoffs, you will probably change your mind about weak league narrative.

Yeah, Kucherov was picked 58 OA, but look at this pretty fresh thread Kucherov: biggest draft steal of all-time?
Oh I fully agree. I see huge potential with Demidov and Kucherov is obviously a steal. My point was rather that I can see Demidov slipping at 6. I think between favoring C and D over W and the MHL factor (i.e. GMs not accustomed to drafting MHL talent) there is a real possibility of him slipping.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The MHL is not great but you can't expect Demidov to do anymore than he is doing. You just hope they don't try and trap him there another season and will lend him out, because he could get bored playing in a League he is too good for. The deeper rounds tend to have pretty good competition because teens that play all season in the KHL/VHL are often sent down for the MHL playoffs.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Just to clarify.. I hold Demidov in the highest of opinions. I would get shitfaced if my team got him. He's a 1st overall talent. Sure, he could end up being the better player vs Michkov.. but with the information we have now? Seems fairly unlikely.

Someone said Demidov was ready to force his way to the KHL, but he didn't. Why not? Why didn't they put him back in the VHL .. and why did Michkov get no MHL time in the start of his draft year, even after injury, and after 12 VHL games was already on his way to the KHL? Clearly SKA thinks Michkov is better

Also, I actually think Demidov is the more exciting player offensively. Demidov is more flashy and tries more individual efforts .. and is an absolutely enthralling skater. But even when Demidov is playmaking, he can't help but do it in the flashy ways. Michkov is much more content to make the most simple and effective plays, even though he could do crazy shit. That's a large part of what IQ is about. Which is one of the most important differences between the two. IF Demidov is actually more skilled (and that's an IF), it's still true that Demidov's IQ looks quite poor compared to Michkov's

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd say defensive prospects' projection is way riskier than wingers'. So even if you think defenseman A can become a top pair one, it's pretty possible he will become someone like Provorov or Chabot, i.e. very good player but noway a defensive cornerstone, and it's in the best case. Because he can become someone like Gudbranson or Ryan Murray. Or even Griffin Reinhart.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I’ll be stunned if he goes outside the top 5.

The fact that he wants to come to NA as soon as possible makes it even more unlikely he goes past 5.

I do hope he’ll at least get to play in the VHL next season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Most everyone says they kept him buried in MHL because he didn’t sign the same extension that Michkov did. Supposedly wants to come to North America as soon as he can.
Hello import draft. Ivan you are a knight! I kid a little but them or Halifax or Portland would totally make it work.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I’ll be stunned if he goes outside the top 5.

The fact that he wants to come to NA as soon as possible makes it even more unlikely he goes past 5.

I do hope he’ll at least get to play in the VHL next season.
Are there reports this is the case?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Are there reports this is the case?
He didn't sign the typical 3 year contract, and he obviously has the skill to be playing in the VHL (possibly KHL) but instead is languishing in the NHL scoring 2ppg+. Likely because he didn't sign. There's no reason for him to take that punishment unless he wants to leave the Russian system. At least, no reason that anyone who knows things has said publicly. Maybe there's a reason and maybe this analysis is wrong but I think that's been the consensus on here since early in the season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He didn't sign the typical 3 year contract, and he obviously has the skill to be playing in the VHL (possibly KHL) but instead is languishing in the NHL scoring 2ppg+. Likely because he didn't sign. There's no reason for him to take that punishment unless he wants to leave the Russian system. At least, no reason that anyone who knows things has said publicly. Maybe there's a reason and maybe this analysis is wrong but I think that's been the consensus on here since early in the season.
I think your analysis is spot on. He will be in north america next season. The KHL teams make a point of punishing players like Demidov and much to their own detriment.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Would he have to buy out his current deal?

He could, but the most realistic approach for Demidov to take is to finish his current contract in Russia, which runs another year after the 2024 draft.

He'd then make his way to NA for the 2025/2026 season and probably make the team straight out of training camp given what he's shown so far as a player.

Seriously, Demidov needs to focus on building muscle mass/strength/balance, polish his reads and intensity defensively, maybe improve straight-line quickness a little, adapt his game to faster/tighter checking, and if he does that he's basically good to go for any pro league.

He's the second-best player in this year's draft in my opinion after Celebrini.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think your analysis is spot on. He will be in north america next season. The KHL teams make a point of punishing players like Demidov and much to their own detriment.

Lets not overdramatize the situation.

Certain KHL teams are known for this, but it’s hardly a league wide thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad