F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
cant wait to see him play what is his scouting report on him and which player he plays like?

He looks like an elite skill player, terrific hands and edges. Could end up being the top forward in the draft. Needs to get a little faster.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I flipped between this and Barrie, but I thought he was the most impressive of the 4 hyped guys in this game from what I saw.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He did a good job finding a soft spot for his goal but other than that he was pretty invisible imo. Veleno was easily the most impressive draft eligible

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He did a good job finding a soft spot for his goal but other than that he was pretty invisible imo. Veleno was easily the most impressive draft eligible
Veleno was puck dominant, but he has trouble finding the seems to unlock teams. It what holds him back from being viewed as a true #1 C prospect and more of a 1B/2A guy. Zadina also had a great passing play, where his teammate couldn't convert. Gravel had the best game of the 2017 guys. Fortier had the best game overall but should as an overager.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Veleno was puck dominant, but he has trouble finding the seems to unlock teams. It what holds him back from being viewed as a true #1 C prospect and more of a 1B/2A guy. Zadina also had a great passing play, where his teammate couldn't convert. Gravel had the best game of the 2017 guys. Fortier had the best game overall but should as an overager.

is this Alexis Gravel 2018 eligible ? germany native also ? He looks very good...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
is this Alexis Gravel 2018 eligible ? germany native also ? He looks very good...
I meant to say 2018 guys, but yes, but he looks to be set to play for Canada. Not even sure if he's eligible for Germany at this point, as I don't know if he played enough minor hockey there to qualify under IIHF rules.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I meant to say 2018 guys, but yes, but he looks to be set to play for Canada. Not even sure if he's eligible for Germany at this point, as I don't know if he played enough minor hockey there to qualify under IIHF rules.

Yeah hes playing for Canada. Under CHL rules he wouldn't be eligible for the Q if he claimed Germany as his nation.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah hes playing for Canada. Under CHL rules he wouldn't be eligible for the Q if he claimed Germany as his nation.
While, I don't think he'll play for Germany (as I have no idea how much time he spent there), I don't think you have to declare for Canada to avoid the import draft. All you have to do is become a landed immigrent and declared a resident. As Nizhnikov got into the OHL draft after playing for Russia in the Youth Olympic Games and I don't think there is any chance he's playing for Canada.

Babula

May 31, 2012
While, I don't think he'll play for Germany (as I have no idea how much time he spent there), I don't think you have to declare for Canada to avoid the import draft. All you have to do is become a landed immigrent and declared a resident. As Nizhnikov got into the OHL draft after playing for Russia in the Youth Olympic Games and I don't think there is any chance he's playing for Canada.

Sorry, I can not understand this thing. for example : Adam Musil natives Czech and Canadian. (Czech family but he was born in Canada) Frank Musil is his father. Adam was playing for TC at WJC-U18 (ok Hlinka which is not IIHF) and for Czech colours at WJC-U20. where is the point between IIHF and CHL rules...?

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012

maybe there is a rule for only Canadian in the net (goaltenders only)

IMO good resolution for Canadian's goalies...

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
In Gravel's case, he was born in Germany while his father was playing there. Then his father spent the next six years playing in Italy before returning to Canada. So basically, Gravel lived in Germany for a few months after he was born, then lived in Italy until he was around 6 years old, then lived in Canada after that. So, a Canadian citizen who grew up mostly in Canada.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sorry, I can not understand this thing. for example : Adam Musil natives Czech and Canadian. (Czech family but he was born in Canada) Frank Musil is his father. Adam was playing for TC at WJC-U18 (ok Hlinka which is not IIHF) and for Czech colours at WJC-U20. where is the point between IIHF and CHL rules...?
You have to be a Canadian or American resident to enter the CHL draft (see Dennis Yan), if not you have to wait until you are 17 to enter the import draft. To play in the CHL as a 16-year-old, you have to be a Canadian or American resident.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/in-a-global-hockey-world-who-still-counts-as-an-import

As it turns out, however, that is not the case. According to OHL vice president Ted Baker, eligibility is based off the parents’ full-time residence. Galchenyuk’s parents lived in Chicago with him; Provorov moved to Wilkes-Barre, Pa., on his own, for example.

“As the rules state right now,†Baker told me, “there is no defined period.â€Â
The OHL (as well as the WHL and QMJHL) look at housing deeds, banking records or lease agreements when a player seeks out local status. Most often the player is aided by an agent or minor hockey coach.

Baker estimates that he looks at a handful of cases each season, which he examines and then makes a recommendation to the CHL for approval. And these cases often have big ramifications for both players and teams. Major junior squads can only play two imports, so the stakes are high. Kirill Nizhnikov, a solid prospect for this year’s NHL draft, was taken seventh overall by Mississauga in the 2016 OHL draft. Nikita Korostelev, who was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs, went ninth overall to Sarnia in the 2013 OHL draft.

Had they been classified as imports, they could have wound up in an entirely different league. That’s what happened to Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Dennis Yan, when his bid for eligibility in the OHL was shot down. He ended up getting taken in the Import Draft by the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes. And while everything worked out for Yan’s career in the end, it was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster for the kid at the time.

But there still seems to be a lot of grey area. Korostelev, for example, didn’t actually live with his parents in Toronto – he stayed with a teammate his first year and a billet family the next. He would see his parents in the summer back in Moscow.
And this phenomenon isn’t limited to Russians, by the way. David Levin, who hails from Israel, was granted eligibility for the OHL draft because he was living with family in Toronto, even though his actual parents were still in the Middle East. Levin went first overall to the Sudbury Wolves in 2015 and is up for the NHL draft this year. Daniel Sprong came over from the Netherlands and was drafted as a local QMJHLer before the Pittsburgh Penguins nabbed him in the NHL draft.

For his part, Korostelev just wanted to challenge himself.

SlugsBernard

Aug 2, 2017
I've attended the mooseheads first 3 home games and Zadina is the guy you seem to notice the most out of their big 4 2018 prospects (Groulx, McIsaac, Gravel & Zadina). He doesn't stand out as a very fast guy but his shooting and stickhandling are what I remember most at the end of each game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I watched a bit last night...he is missing that wow factor that Nate, Drouin, and Nico had. Again, small sample size but I didn't see it when I watched.

SlugsBernard

Aug 2, 2017
I was thinking the exact same thing but thought 3 games wasn't enough yet to say for sure. But I definitely agree with you from the 3 games Ive seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad