F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I hope he gets faster. If he had elite wheels his upside would be so much higher.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
This is what I hate about hockey these days. Everyone thinks that a player needs to be super-fast to become a star. Zadina's skating is not an issue and he's got a ton of other assets to work with.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
This is what I hate about hockey these days. Everyone thinks that a player needs to be super-fast to become a star. Zadina's skating is not an issue and he's got a ton of other assets to work with.

Well when your skating is already slow before you even make it in the NHL it should be a concern. It's one of the best assets to have in hockey and without it your other assets might not matter as much. However I think Zadina has the agility, stick-handling, vision, and shot to make up for it.

I'd love to have Zadina over Nylander or Reinhart personally.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Zadina’s skating issue is his edge work. Doesn’t cross over in turns all that much, so hard to generate power/top speed from blue line to blue line without. He can take guys wide and out muscle them inside at this level, but not the next one(for now) until he can get an extra gear. But it can be taught.

Great hands, but putting his shot anywhere near Laine’s is incredulous. A great nose for finding open space in tight windows, does a great job of positioning on D when they show their back below the dots, but that’s just feasting on bad D that you don’t see at the next level.

Don’t like the compete level on 50-50 pucks.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
He was rewarded by Mike-Bossy Trophy (Top Professional Prospect). Also was named to All-Star team of QMJHL.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
He has very limited experience in professional hockey and would be the youngest Czech player at the WCH in almost three decades if I'm not mistaken. I'm rooting for him to make the team of course but it's far from certain.

Edit: Milan Michálek was younger in 2003.

Reactions: Wooren

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
don't know if the Halifax performance vs Charlestown gonna hurt his rank him and his teammates
The Chiefs? Just kidding. Should have no bearing on any draft position. Ran into a very hot goaltender in Welsh. Shouldn't affect what people are saying about Lafrenierre either

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Being outshone by Parent all playoffs long isn't ideal for sure.

The Somppi injury affected him a lot, allowed teams to key in on him more and his space was very limited, I really hope we get so see him back in the Q next season where he can be the teams undisputed best player and have a guaranteed shot at winning the mem on home ice.

I'm still 50/50 if he comes back.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
People also said that about Hischier's playoffs last year. The truth is that CHL seasons+playoffs are often long for first year euros. It gets even tougher when they play in the WJC at mid season.

Some posts about Hischier last year during QMJHL playoffs:

I just heard a few people mention he was hardly the driver in those 6 games. But like I said I didnt watch alot of it.

Ive seen Halifax do well in the PO when they werent supposed to before with players driving the game completely. (Ehlers sophmore moose season)

We are talking a potential 1oa here, not just some random top 10 Pick.

And for a poemtial 1oa, he has left me a little underwhelmed.

I've never seen two prospects trying to play themselves out of first overall before lol.

If this kid didn't fall into this incredible slump he'd definitely be the favorite go to first overall.

His lack of production the last little while is definitely concerning.

We had him at number 1 before the slump, but had to drop him to 2.

He could still get it back with a few more good playoff games (and being key to an upset), or a strong U18.

I don't like to overrate small samples, but the two guys are really close. Both have question marks.

Looks like another Yakupov.

Hischier feels like a Huberdeau/Duchene level prospect to me. Not sure if he'll even be an elite offensive player. More likely a 50 to 60 point guy with a good, but not elite 2-way game is his higher end of realistic potential. Maybe get closer to 65-70 in career years. Obviously, he could exceed that and be the next Datsyuk or on the other side end up a middle 6 winger.

Last edited:

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I like Zadina's chances at being a top sixer at the NHL level, but I question his "star" potential. He's just not involved in the play enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad