F Ethan Gauthier - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2023, 37th, TBL)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even if he keeps that pace? That's straigth domination as a 17 year old.

Yeah even if he keeps the pace, it isn't all about production which is why Jordan Dumais went where he did even though he had one of the most productive draft years last year.

Now Gauthier doesn't have some of the flaws Dumais had, so the comparison isn't apples to apples but what I mean is you've got way too many high end prospects in this draft class that will not only offer high end production but also high end traits that are more easily projectable to the NHL.

Bedard is a generational shooter.
Michkov has been blowing the VHL apart since returning from an injury.
Carlsson is 6'3, smooth skating center who is authoring one of the most productive D years in the SHL ever.
Brayden Yager is scoring at will at the WHL and has a high end motor, skating and shot.
Adam Fantilli is off to a hot start in the NCAA.

That's 5 guys alone that I don't see a path to Gauthier displacing.

Then you start looking at guys like Allen, Sale, Ritchie, Dvorsky, Benson, and Smith? There's a bunch of other names I can mention.

This isn't to take anything away from Gauthier and what he's doing, I think we just need to take a step back and realize just how insane this draft class is and how, for the most part, they've hit the ground running this year.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Yeah even if he keeps the pace, it isn't all about production which is why Jordan Dumais went where he did even though he had one of the most productive draft years last year.

Now Gauthier doesn't have some of the flaws Dumais had, so the comparison isn't apples to apples but what I mean is you've got way too many high end prospects in this draft class that will not only offer high end production but also high end traits that are more easily projectable to the NHL.

Carlsson is 6'3, smooth skating center who is authoring one of the most productive D years in the SHL ever.
Brayden Yager is scoring at will at the WHL and has a high end motor, skating and shot.

Then you start looking at guys like Allen, Sale, Ritchie, Dvorsky, Benson, and Smith? There's a bunch of other names I can mention.

This isn't to take anything away from Gauthier and what he's doing, I think we just need to take a step back and realize just how insane this draft class is and how, for the most part, they've hit the ground running this year.
Yager is within reach of Gauthier.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

So, in your estimation, 10-20 could be realistic?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If he keeps it up, yeah, that's a more realistic projection. Other draft classes it'd be a different story but we are looking at an insane class. A lot of players we are gonna say how did they go there?
I would like if he fell to the Pens to be honest.

I think his style would mesh well with Sid. Now, would Gauthier be ready to play at 18 or 19, who knows.

I already see a big change since last season's playoffs.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would like if he fell to the Pens to be honest.

I think his style would mesh well with Sid. Now, would Gauthier be ready to play at 18 or 19, who knows.

I already see a big change since last season's playoffs.
Gauthier looks very pro-ready already, at the very beginning of his draft season. If he continues this level of play it’s almost impossible he’ll be available in the second half of the first round, but there are just so many amazing prospects this year it could happen. Whether he is picked 5th or 15th, it would not surprise me if he made the jump to the NHL immediately.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He plays on a great line so his points are going to be a bit inflated for sure. To me, Justin Gill and Joshua Roy seem to be the play drivers on that team. He’s got some good hands and I like his overall grit. But, I’m not a huge fan of his decision making at times.

I’m going to have to watch him play more to really get a feel for his potential I guess. I’ve only watch a couple Sherbrooke games so far. But, he’s not top 15 for me yet.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He plays on a great line so his points are going to be a bit inflated for sure. To me, Justin Gill and Joshua Roy seem to be the play drivers on that team. He’s got some good hands and I like his overall grit. But, I’m not a huge fan of his decision making at times.

I’m going to have to watch him play more to really get a feel for his potential I guess. I’ve only watch a couple Sherbrooke games so far. But, he’s not top 15 for me yet.
If anything, Gill is the passenger on that line. Great hands, good vision, but a lot of "junior" play.

Gauthier plays a safe game. Very smart with and without the puck. Finds the openings and, on defense, closes up lanes. Very mature game for a 17 yo.

1 goal, 0 assist today. Not his best game, took a stupid penalty.

Reactions: Dominance

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If anything, Gill is the passenger on that line. Great hands, good vision, but a lot of "junior" play.

Gauthier plays a safe game. Very smart with and without the puck. Finds the openings and, on defense, closes up lanes. Very mature game for a 17 yo.

1 goal, 0 assist today. Not his best game, took a stupid penalty.
Yeah I’m just going to have to watch more of him throughout the year. I actuality liked his physicality tonight just not much his decision making.

He plays on a great line with two older junior players (one of which had 119 points last year) so it needs to be said that his numbers will be a bit inflated for sure throughout the year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Meh game for Gauthier tonight despite getting a goal (a tap in from a great Roy feed on the PP).

His goal showed his ability to find soft spots in coverage and make himself available though. Very important quality to have as a goal scorer.

Other than that, he was pretty meh. Not bad, but he did not shine. Pretty quiet game.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Meh game for Gauthier tonight despite getting a goal (a tap in from a great Roy feed on the PP).

His goal showed his ability to find soft spots in coverage and make himself available though. Very important quality to have as a goal scorer.

Other than that, he was pretty meh. Not bad, but he did not shine. Pretty quiet game.

Extended his point streak to 8 games though :)

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Have not posted about Gauthier in a while because there was not much to say. He went through a "slump" in November and December. The production dipped a little, but has recovered in the last 10 games or so.

He is still playing a very mature game for his age. Great on the forecheck, better playmaker than I thought, scores the dirty goals. I would like to see him use his shot more and be more aggressive when he has the puck.

Sherbrooke acquired a lot of players during the break, so I wonder how lines will shape up once everybody returns. With Melanson in the fold and Brabenec coming in, I do not think the Roy-Gill-Gauthier line will remain intact. I also think Gauthier could lose some PP time. That might affect his position. Sherbrooke are going all in this year.

The lines I would roll if I were Julien:

Roy - Gill - E. Gauthier
Huckins - Brabenec - Melanson
Mianscum - Roelens - Munroe-Boucher
Côté - Belchamber - Lagacé

This team is freaking loaded.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad