F Dmitri Zavgorodniy - Admiral Vladivostok, KHL (2018, 198th, CAL released)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Lafreniere plays 1LW
Big Z plays 2LW

They are only together on the powerplay but like the other guy said Big Z does face easier competition for it.

Similar to how in 2015 McDavid was the Otters 1C and Strome played 2C.

Reactions: grentthealien

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lafreniere plays 1LW
Big Z plays 2LW

They are only together on the powerplay but like the other guy said Big Z does face easier competition for it.

Similar to how in 2015 McDavid was the Otters 1C and Strome played 2C.

Regardless of where he is playing, it's still a very nice boost in production. Definitely shows growth in his game, and could be a very nice pick down the road.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Lol what? "who was picked in the 7th round because he was Russian". What is this statement?

His nationality definitely played a role. While he wasn’t having a great draft season, he has shown flashes of his talent in international competition. There is still a “Russian factor” when it comes to the draft. Several teams (like Ottawa and Anaheim) avoid them completely, while a number of others only draft Russian players in late-round, low-risk/high-reward situations.

When looking at the list of top overagers for draft classes, there are always several Russian players. This year they might dominate that list, as there are several undrafted players who have raised their stock significantly.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
His nationality definitely played a role. While he wasn’t having a great draft season, he has shown flashes of his talent in international competition. There is still a “Russian factor” when it comes to the draft. Several teams (like Ottawa and Anaheim) avoid them completely, while a number of others only draft Russian players in late-round, low-risk/high-reward situations.

When looking at the list of top overagers for draft classes, there are always several Russian players. This year they might dominate that list, as there are several undrafted players who have raised their stock significantly.

I remember the "Russian"factor" was more about Russian players playing in Russia and were not sure to moving to America. That is why there is more risk drafting Russian based players.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I remember the "Russian"factor" was more about Russian players playing in Russia and were not sure to moving to America. That is why there is more risk drafting Russian based players.

It still is the case.

The difference in recent drafts have been a better depth of talent. But there are certainly still players who fall further then they should or don’t get drafted completely.

Zavgorodny was being mentioned as a possible 1st rounder, but an inconsistent CHL season dropped his stock. Still, he easily had a profile of a mid-rounder.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Is he a total product of lafreinere, or is he actually driving some play? Admittedly it’s good to have a solid point producer in the 7th regardless, but still.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ok, so this guy has 17 pts in 9 games. Now even for a D+2 player that is pretty impressive, but is he a total product of Lafreniere or actually creating on his own as well? I'd like an answer because I know less than nothing about prospects.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Ok, so this guy has 17 pts in 9 games. Now even for a D+2 player that is pretty impressive, but is he a total product of Lafreniere or actually creating on his own as well? I'd like an answer because I know less than nothing about prospects.

He's a very good offensive player, but he plays a more complementary role on that line. He's a guy who's used to being the offensive catalyst on his line, and having the puck a lot, but on a line with Lafrenière he can't really do that, so he hasn't really been driving the play so far this season. He has a great set of offensive tools, but he's a bit small and not quite fast enough to compensate, so he could stand to round out his game if he wants to make the NHL.

Reactions: super6646

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The problem with him is he's 5'9 on skates, and not exactly speedy. He had a similar start last year also, so I think his talent is real good, but unless you're Caufield like in offense, the deck is kinda stacked against him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
2 goals tonight. 20 pts in 11 games. Idc if he is (likely) being carried by Lafreniere, he's a goddamn steal of a draft pick.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
2 goals tonight. 20 pts in 11 games. Idc if he is (likely) being carried by Lafreniere, he's a goddamn steal of a draft pick.
Eh....I mean watching him a lot, he is definitely carried by Lafreniere. His skating ability at his size is going to be a mountain for him to climb. Not trying to be a downer or anything just my honest opinion,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad