F Daniil Gushchin (2020, 76th, SJS)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
...aaand another russian prospect's development curve is heading south after jumping to NA early. He looks pretty mediocre at Hlinka while others shine and he was once considered one of the top if not the top forward of this age group.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Guschin looked pretty good in the Gold Medal game, was more noticeable then a lot of the Canadian players. What's wrong with coming over to North America? He had a good year in the USHL and if he's reporting to Regina which hasn't been confirmed yet, he could do well in the WHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Guschin looked pretty good in the Gold Medal game, was more noticeable then a lot of the Canadian players. What's wrong with coming over to North America? He had a good year in the USHL and if he's reporting to Regina which hasn't been confirmed yet, he could do well in the WHL.

The track record for Russian forwards in North American juniors is terrible.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
...aaand another russian prospect's development curve is heading south after jumping to NA early. He looks pretty mediocre at Hlinka while others shine and he was once considered one of the top if not the top forward of this age group.

Ah well I guess he I guess he can go the Tkachev route and still recover later if he skips the AHL, or else he will end up like Tolchinskiy.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I see people saying this all the time and it seems to be true quite often. Do you have any theories as to why jumping to NA early might hurt the developement of a prospect?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I see people saying this all the time and it seems to be true quite often. Do you have any theories as to why jumping to NA early might hurt the developement of a prospect?
I highly doubt it's the culture shock, the language and all the things that are often brought up in that discussion. I think first and foremost it's a hockey culture shock. They not only learn a different style of hockey in Russia, but it's taught differently and there is a different curve(if there is such a thing) of development pre-sketched for a young player in the russian system. The actual severe problem is NOT the leagues they are going to or them being not able to adjust. It is that they stop the development in the russian system before they reach a certain point at which their basic development towards a pro can be considered complete. It's like teaching a guy how to aim the gun and breath and load it and all, but not telling him where the trigger is. He learned a lot, but missed some important part. And then they come into a different system that won't be adjusted for them personally. But they don't know the basics of that system either. As a result they becomу not particularily good at any of the two systems. I myself have lived abroad for quite some time and encountered more than once a curious case of bilingual kids out of Russia who were brought to a different country early. Wellб some of them had that horrendous problem to have. They could not speak Russian properly anymore and they did not learn the language of the other country perfectly either. So they were bilingual, but actually bad at both languages. Not all of them of course, but there were some. It seems to me that it might иe a similar problematic with those hockey kids.

And of course if the kid is aт OV/Malkin like genius nothing will stop him. Just his raw talent allows him ещ adjust on any rink size, with any coach and so on. But the guys in the tiers below are really a risk group if it comes to that jumping over the pond early. Those prospects need a lot more time and mentoring and tutoring and learning still and if they break off their education in Russia and hope to just continue where they left off, just in a different country - that is where they often crash. Because they come to a different school with different rules and a different plan.

Of corse there are also some other aspects like coaching culture. Traditionally in Russia you are left alone much less. You are told what to do in detail. In NA it's more like you have to appear at camp in shape. Period. How you do it is up to you. Some of the guys might just have trouble with taking own responsibility of their development.

I also just recently stumbled upon some interviews with exactly those young Russians who go to NA. And I was horrified by their complete ignorance about the regulations. Like the AHL rule, i.e. if you are drafted out of the CHL you can't play in the AHL until the age of 20. I mean I as a fan can be ignorant of this, but they want to become pros. They should know the CBA and that kind of stuff in their sleep, because it will influence their careers and development very directly. Yet they seem to go to NA unaware of what rules and restrictions will apply to them. This is just silly. If not themselves, their parents and agents should educate themselves and them too. Well, agents(at that level) are often crooks who are just interested in the money and lure and fool parents and kids alike. But the parents at least should know better.

Well, from that I deduct if they are so ignorant about such important issues, maybe they are also unprepared to face many other things in NA. And in the age of the internet this is just criminal. I mean if I go to a place for the first time nowadays I can have everything from media reports to 3D tour of this place so I won't feel foreign there at all.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Where is Gushchin expected to play next season? Also, does anyone know if most of the CHL/USHL imports are staying with their billets or if they went back to their home countries?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Coming to the USHL in 2018-19, Russian winger Daniil Gushchin has made an impact on the Muskegon Lumberjacks. In his rookie season, he scored 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points in 51 games. This season he put up 22 goals and 25 assists for 47 points in 42 games. He was named to the USHL Third All-Star Team.

Gushchin has regularly represented Russia at the international level, even playing multiple tournaments as an underage player. At the 2017 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge he scored one goal and five points in five games. Gushchin represented Russia at the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He put up three goals and six points in five games and won a bronze medal. At the 2018 Under-17, he scored four goals and six points in six games, winning a gold medal. At the 2019 IIHF Under 18 World Championships, he scored one goal and one assist for two points in seven games and won a silver medal. Gushchin scored one goal and one assist in five games at the 2019 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and won another gold medal. He also picked up a gold medal at the 2019 World Junior A Hockey Challenge, scoring three goals in six games.

Our full Scouting Report is here
Daniil Gushchin Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #54

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Yeah, he was considered the top prospect for this age group before going to NA, now he isn't even the top prospect amongst Russians...

That's pretty hyperbolic, Gushchin was a top prospect but other 02s, such as Byfield, Raymond, and Holtz were equal or better regarded at 15-16.

Nothing precludes him from still becoming a top NHL player, nor is it a surprise that rating 15 year olds is a volatile and risky process as is. Gushchin' size was always going to work against him as a prospect.

Draft position is overrated outside of the lottery anyways, Gushchin might honestly get the time he needs to develop without the pressure of being a top pick who needs to contribute immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00