F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I ranked this dud #6 BPA

which on HF puts me into the exclusive Brady Tkachuk fanclub I Told You So group

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Looking like he may be better than people originally thought. Wasn’t his upside in question?
For whatever reasons people never gave him the benefit of the doubt. Although, as I've repeatedly stated, how people use ceiling and floor on this site gets ridiculous at times. I thought he was a similar talent to Landeskog and his brother. But, at his absolute best he could make a Jamie Benn type impact. I didn't think becoming Benn was likely, but other guys got the benefit of favorable comparables all the time, such as Hughes being the next EK, instead of the more realistic Gostisbehere or Wahlstrom got to high-end NHL scorers. Not to say its unfathomable those guys reach those comparisons, but it wasn't treated with the same skepticism of suggesting Brady could be like his dad or Benn.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
i thought he had landeskog type upside with a high floor. but i dont know anymore. his brother i guess? a tad less skilled but a better skater

Hm. I just remember reading even here that he was a ‘safe’ pick, probable top 6’er, but not projected to be elite.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hm. I just remember reading even here that he was a ‘safe’ pick, probable top 6’er, but not projected to be elite.

Like Leafs93 noted above he is seen as a similar type of player to Landeskog, which might be elite, but is the type of player who want for more than just his stats.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Most of his original detractors on this board had likely never even watched him play at the NCAA level. They were just stat watching. Had they done so, they would have seen the same dominant force from the 2018 WJC. I've long advocated that Brady is very close to his brother. They have some differences, but overall there's little separating them in terms of upside. Brady was a late bloomer compared to Matt, but if you've been following Brady since his NTDP days, you'd know how much he improves year-over-year. He's an impressive player and Ottawa got a gem. I'm surprised by his start (over summer I thought he'd be better off spending another year outside the NHL), but he's clearly proven himself to not just be ready; he's a dominant force.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Like Leafs93 noted above he is seen as a similar type of player to Landeskog, which might be elite, but is the type of player who want for more than just his stats.

most of us are stat scouts. 8 goals in 41 games in college. Ottawa knew what they were doing, good for them.

Reactions: kabidjan18

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Well, if he can bring those intangibles and 35 goals, the Sens did VERY well. That’s all I can say.

Reactions: wetcoast

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Man this kids impressive. His goals are completely different than Petterson’s as well. Those are hard working playoff type goals. I think Montreal would pick him in a re draft for sure.

It’s scary too because he’s only going to get bigger. He’s got a massive frame.

tkachuk is currently doing very good!

but nah Montreal is very happy with their pick! Tkachuk has a very mature body for his age, add to that Kotkaniemi is a year younger and his body is realy not developped for his age! Kotkaniemi is a cerebral two-way Center wich is exacly what the habs needed. it's very nice to see Tkachuk performing tho, both franchise are happy with their pick and both franchise happy they skipped on Zadina wich i was never high on!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Disagree ... elite what is the question. Elite pain in the ass to play against. Elite compete level. Elite drag you into the war with him as soon as he creates it. All I heard even on the Sens board that very heavily favored Zadina was about the 8 goals at BU while disregarding the player he is almost entirely... looks good on all of them

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

but nah Montreal is very happy with their pick! Tkachuk has a very mature body for his age, add to that Kotkaniemi is a year younger and his body is realy not developped for his age! Kotkaniemi is a cerebral two-way Center wich is exacly what the habs needed. it's very nice to see Tkachuk performing tho, both franchise are happy with their pick and both franchise happy they skipped on Zadina wich i was never high on!

I am not going to say Montreal would take Tkachuk in a re-draft, Kotkaniemi is great and exactly what you guys need, but the physical difference between the two is definitely overstated. Tkachuk is an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier. I actually wouldnt be surprised at all if Tkachuk adds more weight over the next 5 years than Kotkaniemi.

I do think Kotkaniemi is the more raw player (younger, too), I just don't think people realize how much stronger Tkachuk is going to get...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Disagree ... elite what is the question. Elite pain in the ass to play against. Elite compete level. Elite drag you into the war with him as soon as he creates it. All I heard even on the Sens board that very heavily favored Zadina was about the 8 goals at BU while disregarding the player he is almost entirely... looks good on all of them

I agree there are several domains to evaluating ‘elite.’ I was referring specifically to pure skill and point production, and basing my inquiry on second hand information.

Given everything that has happened w the Sens organization, it looks like they got a gem that will provide all of those attributes you mentioned and more. I’m happy for them.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

Tkachuk absolutely does NOT have a mature body for his age. He's super gangly and not very thick right now. There's awkwardness to him and he falls down a lot right now. His body doesn't look close to where it will be in a few years. Hopefully he keeps his speed.

Reactions: Emerica and branch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Looking like he may be better than people originally thought. Wasn’t his upside in question?

Hilariously, yes.

But his skill is honestly so underrated, hes got the potential to be the best Tkachuk yet - which is ridiculous to say but undeniable so far...and everyone close to the family would back that statement up.

He sees the ice like an elite level player and can process the game at high speed, and the puck seems to follow him all game long - which is no coincidence when you realize hes just smartly going exactly where a big man should be going.

Someohow hes figured out how to use all of his talents in a very effective way on almost a shift by shift basis. Seeing a 19 yr old play like a fully mature and developed elite PWF hasnt happened since Lindros (no I'm not comparing them or potential, just this one accolade).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
For whatever reasons people never gave him the benefit of the doubt. Although, as I've repeatedly stated, how people use ceiling and floor on this site gets ridiculous at times. I thought he was a similar talent to Landeskog and his brother. But, at his absolute best he could make a Jamie Benn type impact. I didn't think becoming Benn was likely, but other guys got the benefit of favorable comparables all the time, such as Hughes being the next EK, instead of the more realistic Gostisbehere or Wahlstrom got to high-end NHL scorers. Not to say its unfathomable those guys reach those comparisons, but it wasn't treated with the same skepticism of suggesting Brady could be like his dad or Benn.
I think people were taking out their disappointment in players like Lawson Crouse and Dylan Strome on him (ironic as all three of them had multi-point nights tonight). He fit the prototype of a player to hate. Tall. Not an incredible skater. Not a stats machine. Fairly or unfairly, due to the anecdotal way in which the human mind tends to operate, the weight of the reputation of all tall players somehow ended up resting on his shoulders.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Individual high danger chances created, per 60 minutes: 9.08.

rank among all players with at least 100 minutes on ice: 1

And it shows if you watch him.

Not even sure if this stat factors in his big ass screening goalies all game long, or all of the goals that hes factored in on unofficially while planted in front of the net screening goalies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Tkachuk brothers continue to prove me wrong. Thought they were both overrated during their draft years... Brady esp, wouldn't have wanted my team to draft him in the top-5 or even the top-10 for that matter. Proven completely wrong.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I didn’t have an opinion of him until I saw him play in the World Junior Summer Showcase with Hughes. I felt like he was very adept at creating offense and maintaining possession to his teammates under pressure. Not sure why he was ever underrated.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
The reality is the no one saw this coming; Tkachuk scoring more goals than he did in the NCAA in less than half the game in his first year in the NHL. He is performing over everyone expectations, even those who were high on him. Even in the USDP/USHL he had less than a PPG, but somehow is already over PPG in the NHL. The puck seems to be finding him right now, but he is making chances going his way with how he has been playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad