F. Andersen (ANA) or S. Mason (PHI)?

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Here is the deal I am in a deep dynasty league where goalies are at a premium. There are 14 teams and you basically need three goalies, so there are not enough starters to go around and any prospect with name recognition in his own hometown is owned.

I have an excellent team, in terms of skaters it's almost unbelievably stacked (out of 18 skaters I have 16 All-Stars and 17 Olympians). My goaltending is a little thin though, I have Fleury, Luongo, Freddie Andersen and a couple backups (Hutton, Brodeur).

So the trade I have in front of me is Steve Mason, Pat Marleau and an entry draft pick (around 40 overall) for Freddie Andersen, Cody Ceci and Colin Wilson.

I don't mind Marleau and a third for Ceci and Wilson, I guess, but the core question here is Mason vs Andersen. They are almost the same age (Mason is one year older) but obviously Mason has spent more time in the NHL and been a full-time starter a couple times.

What appeals to me here besides adding Marleau's production is that Mason is the full-time starter in Philly and he has no actual competition. Conversely, I think Andersen may begin the year as the starter but it will be a 1A/1B situation at best with Gibson having every opportunity to win the starting job. In the long run I really think Gibson will be the guy, and if the long run comes around before fantasy playoffs, I am boned. Further I just think Mason will get more starts period.

On the flip side, Andersen is pretty good and he is on a team that will make him look good every time he starts. The quality of his starts should be better and more consistent. Also, Mason is a Flyers goalie, which means calamity must be lurking around the corner, right?

What would you guys do in this deal? Stats are G/A/PPP/PIM/+/- and then W/GAA/SV%/SO, head to head format

Thanks!

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
Here is the deal I am in a deep dynasty league where goalies are at a premium. There are 14 teams and you basically need three goalies, so there are not enough starters to go around and any prospect with name recognition in his own hometown is owned.

I have an excellent team, in terms of skaters it's almost unbelievably stacked (out of 18 skaters I have 16 All-Stars and 17 Olympians). My goaltending is a little thin though, I have Fleury, Luongo, Freddie Andersen and a couple backups (Hutton, Brodeur).

So the trade I have in front of me is Steve Mason, Pat Marleau and an entry draft pick (around 40 overall) for Freddie Andersen, Cody Ceci and Colin Wilson.

I don't mind Marleau and a third for Ceci and Wilson, I guess, but the core question here is Mason vs Andersen. They are almost the same age (Mason is one year older) but obviously Mason has spent more time in the NHL and been a full-time starter a couple times.

What appeals to me here besides adding Marleau's production is that Mason is the full-time starter in Philly and he has no actual competition. Conversely, I think Andersen may begin the year as the starter but it will be a 1A/1B situation at best with Gibson having every opportunity to win the starting job. In the long run I really think Gibson will be the guy, and if the long run comes around before fantasy playoffs, I am boned. Further I just think Mason will get more starts period.

On the flip side, Andersen is pretty good and he is on a team that will make him look good every time he starts. The quality of his starts should be better and more consistent. Also, Mason is a Flyers goalie, which means calamity must be lurking around the corner, right?

What would you guys do in this deal? Stats are G/A/PPP/PIM/+/- and then W/GAA/SV%/SO, head to head format

Thanks!

Trade for Mason. His competition, Emery, is a guy who can't be a #1 goalie anymore. Anderson's competition, Gibson, is a first-rounder who is better than him. I think Gibson will get the lion's share of starts.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
As a Ducks fan, take the safer bet and go with Mason. Andersen is a great goalie and all but he also has to split his starts with Gibson almost equally and might end up losing the starting job at some point in the season. I doubt Mason is in any such situation.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Thanks guys, this was also my thinking and of course getting Marleau as a productive player for another season or three is also attractive given that I am trying to win now.

I know how much Boudreau and Murray both love Gibson and think there is a great chance he is the starter by the time the fantasy playoffs role around. I think I will take the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad