F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Pretty high praises and hype going on here, let’s see how many will change their tone when he lands into Devils, Kings or Ducks..

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What’s your point? A canadien franchise player playing in the country’s capital is bad (I mean I guess it sucks if you are a leafs fan) ? Or that there’s no chance he’ll end up into a sh*tty unpopular US team?

It's actually slightly less than 1:6 now that I look it up.

Neither of those strawmen were my 'point'. Odds are he does not "end up into a sh*tty unpopular US team".

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Not sure what that would change.

You don’t think a player’s team matters to people? When there’s even a small chance a prospect lands into their favorite team versus where he ends up into their rival.

I admit I don’t know how you Canadiens feel about this, if you can’t have Lafreniere in your own team, do you want him to represent a Canadien team or does it matter as long as he goes as far from your division.

Granted a US prospect, but J Hughes went from amazing prospect to dogsh*t over night when the devils won the lottery in a lot of people’s minds.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You don’t think a player’s team matters to people? When there’s even a small chance a prospect lands into their favorite team versus where he ends up into their rival.

I admit I don’t know how you Canadiens feel about this, if you can’t have Lafreniere in your own team, do you want him to represent a Canadien team or does it matter as long as he goes as far from your division.

Granted a US prospect, but J Hughes went from amazing prospect to dogsh*t over night when the devils won the lottery in a lot of people’s minds.
It matters, but I don't think that has anything to do with him as a prospect which I thought you were implying.

As for where Canadian fans want players to land, it isn't a very big deal with Canadian fans as they are fans of their fave team rather then where prospects are from, it would matter more to fans from Quebec for sure that he plays in Montreal but that is about it for the most part. Fans here are mostly fans of the team regardless of players nationality, it is not like most fans from Europe who are fans of their countries players more then any NHL team.

which is understandable.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
As for where Canadian fans want players to land, it isn't a very big deal with Canadian fans as they are fans of their fave team rather then where prospects are from, it would matter more to fans from Quebec for sure that he plays in Montreal but that is about it for the most part. Fans here are mostly fans of the team regardless of players nationality, it is not like most fans from Europe who are fans of their countries players more then any NHL team.

Yeah I guess my initial point was that the shared excitement about prospects usually tones down once they land into a team, especially if it’s a smaller hockey market team. I would also assume that canadiens don’t really follow US teams (outside their division at least) that much either. Maybe I’m just sick of people back peddling with their opinions once a prospect ends up on a team they don’t like, wasn’t anything personal to anyone and certainly didn’t expect to follow up it with 3 posts. So let’s move on! :)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah I guess my initial point was that the shared excitement about prospects usually tones down once they land into a team, especially if it’s a smaller hockey market team. I would also assume that canadiens don’t really follow US teams (outside their division at least) that much either. Maybe I’m just sick of people back peddling with their opinions once a prospect ends up on a team they don’t like, wasn’t anything personal to anyone and certainly didn’t expect to follow up it with 3 posts. So let’s move on! :)
Actually they do, there are loads of Canadian hockey fans who cheer for U.S based clubs. Where I am from in Canada is a real strong base for Boston Bruin fans as much as it pains me to say it. They are the third most popular team after the Habs and Leafs.

I get your point though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
will he end up 100% a winger in the nhl? Or is there still a debate on whether he's center or winger?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Lafreniere has kept scoring points, but Rimouski not so much, what gives?
Yes they had a small 3 game win streak recently but, they had also a 9 game losing streak,
from their last 14 games they have won only 4.

Dropped from 1st place to 5th place in the East but, obviously are going to the play-offs
due to the number of teams (18 teams). OHL: 20 teams, WHL: 22 teams.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Yes they had a small 3 game win streak recently but, they had also a 9 game losing streak,

Dropped from 1st place to 5th place in the East but, obviously are going to the play-offs

Not sure if I follow? How is it due to the number of teams per leagues? 5th in their conference will get a team from any league to make the playoffs.

Let's say the Q had the same numbers of team than the WHL. It would bring 2 more teams into each conference. Let's say they are better than Rimouski, they are still in 7th spot, which is good for playoffs.

Might be easier to make the playoffs in the Q due to the smaller number of teams but it's not the reason why the Oceanic is in a playoff spot.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not sure if I follow? How is it due to the number of teams per leagues? 5th in their conference will get a team from any league to make the playoffs.

Let's say the Q had the same numbers of team than the WHL. It would bring 2 more teams into each conference. Let's say they are better than Rimouski, they are still in 7th spot, which is good for playoffs.

Might be easier to make the playoffs in the Q due to the smaller number of teams but it's not the reason why the Oceanic is in a playoff spot.

It is not the reason, yeah that was a bad write from me, what ever...

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

Losing Lafrenière didn't help; they went 3-6 without him. They also made some significant additions to the lineup that may need some time to gel with the team.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Lafrenière now has different linemates: newly-acquired Nicolas Guay is now Rimouski's top center (should be an upgrade over Paré, at least offensively) and Nathan Ouellet is at RW (hopefully only until Zavgorodniy is healthy, because Ouellet shouldn't be on anyone's top line).

They're off to a good start in this game. Guay has a natural hat-trick, Lafrenière has 3 primary assists, Ouellet has 1G 1A, with half the game to go.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Lafrenière now has different linemates: newly-acquired Nicolas Guay is now Rimouski's top center (should be an upgrade over Paré, at least offensively) and Nathan Ouellet is at RW (hopefully only until Zavgorodniy is healthy, because Ouellet shouldn't be on anyone's top line).

They're off to a good start in this game. Guay has a natural hat-trick, Lafrenière has 3 primary assists, Ouellet has 1G 1A, with half the game to go.

Paré is 2nd only to Laf in points so far this season in the Q :dunno:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

And since Lafrenière went to WJC camp, Paré has 10 pts in 13 games. Which is about the kind of production that should be expected from Paré without Lafrenière. He's a very good player, just not a top-flight offensive player in the Q.

Lafrenière with another great assist on Rimouski's 5th goal.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

Guay is the more offensively talented player, anyone who’s watched them in the Q can and will confirm that. Pare’s numbers are only because he played with Lafreniere and Zavgorodniy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad