F Aito Iguchi - Saitama Warriors, Japan (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Kid should move to Canada and start playing AAA. He is clearly really gifted and I fear someone that skilled would plateau and not turn into much if he keeps playing in Japan.

I'm more impressed with his creativity than with his hands (although his hands are obviously incredible).

agree but man he looks awfully small, ie makes Johnny hockey look like a giant.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
That Hockey sense is mindblowing, he's the Japanese Connor McDavid.

Hope this could be the breakthrough in Asian Hockey which could open a huge new door for the Hockey World.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Kid should move to Canada and start playing AAA. He is clearly really gifted and I fear someone that skilled would plateau and not turn into much if he keeps playing in Japan.

These posts are the worst. Canadian AAA hockey is far from the be-all and end-all from hockey development. If he has a good coach & good facilities available to him, he can develop just fine in Japan until he's well into his teens. Being in Canada doesn't automatically guarantee you better resources.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
These posts are the worst. Canadian AAA hockey is far from the be-all and end-all from hockey development. If he has a good coach & good facilities available to him, he can develop just fine in Japan until he's well into his teens. Being in Canada doesn't automatically guarantee you better resources.

I'd be shocked if that were accurate. At some point, quality of competition plays a huge part in development.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Honestly, though? If this kid develops, the 2021 draft could be amazing. Not sure he can dethrone Dustin Rose from the presumptive top pick in 2021, but it would be interesting if he at least made it a fight. Could you imagine?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'd be shocked if that were accurate. At some point, quality of competition plays a huge part in development.

Sidney Crosby absolutely destroyed everyone in Nova Scotia while being 1-2 years younger than his "competition." He didn't regress because he was playing against people waaaaaaay beneath his talent level, he continued improving every single year.

The kid has to have his own desire to get better & the proper coaching to make sure he doesn't become complacent. The competitiveness can help but the lack of competitiveness doesn't hurt as much as some make it seem.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Sidney Crosby absolutely destroyed everyone in Nova Scotia while being 1-2 years younger than his "competition." He didn't regress because he was playing against people waaaaaaay beneath his talent level, he continued improving every single year.

The kid has to have his own desire to get better & the proper coaching to make sure he doesn't become complacent. The competitiveness can help but the lack of competitiveness doesn't hurt as much as some make it seem.

Crosby played Canadian AAA and when the competition wasn't good enough he moved up an age group or two... Iguchi can develop in Japan but not as much as he could in Canada, US, or even a European country that's not even debatable

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Crosby played Canadian AAA and when the competition wasn't good enough he moved up an age group or two... Iguchi can develop in Japan but not as much as he could in Canada, US, or even a European country that's not even debatable

Hate to break it to you but he's already developed better in Japan than some kids have in Canadian AAA.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He's also twelve years old.

I realize that but he looked awfully small in every clip on the ice there, even with other players on it.

Maybe some of the guys were older?

That being said, he id definitely a very small and slight guy, even for his age.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

That's all great but the competion in NS is much greater than in Japan.

Pretty much this.

Hate to break it to you but he's already developed better in Japan than some kids have in Canadian AAA.

sure some guys but there are also a ton of guys in AAA with bigger bodies that are developing much better and have better projections, based on size and in terms of growth.

Hey the kid looks great but a lot of kids look awesome but don't develop unless they can get ice time and play against better competition.

and the competition will get much harder for this kid if he wants to go anywhere.

Just look at Tony Hand.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

You kind of proved the other guys point though, because Crosby developed in Canada he wasn't stuck playing with his own age group all the way through and could be moved up to competition fitting his skill level. That isn't possible in Japan, and absolutely plays a role in development and it is foolish to think it doesn't.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He's 12? He looks like he should be playing atom. He is a tiny guy

Wish him all the best though, he looks very skilled

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
You kind of proved the other guys point though, because Crosby developed in Canada he wasn't stuck playing with his own age group all the way through and could be moved up to competition fitting his skill level. That isn't possible in Japan, and absolutely plays a role in development and it is foolish to think it doesn't.

However, a move to Canada would bring other challanges not just stronger competition. If he can't handle the foreign environment at this point of his development (not as a hockey player but as a person) a move to Canada or any other country might actually hurt his development. Not every super talented kid is ready to make such a move at age 12.
These things don't happen in a vacuum.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

It isn't possible to play up age groups in Japan? As someone who follows obscure hockey countries, I know that isn't true. As it relates to Crosby, he didn't even find competition fitting his skill level by moving up age groups, he absolutely destroyed every level he played at. He didn't become Crosby by playing Bantam AAA as a Peewee AAA player, he became Crosby by putting in the countless hours to improve both on & off the ice which allowed him to destroy those Bantam AAA players as a Peewee aged kid.

What's foolish is responding to a poster without reading their posts. I clearly said, "the competitiveness can help but the lack of competitiveness doesn't hurt as much as some make it seem" but you obviously had trouble reading it.

That's all great but the competion in NS is much greater than in Japan.

Pretty much this.

sure some guys but there are also a ton of guys in AAA with bigger bodies that are developing much better and have better projections, based on size and in terms of growth.

Hey the kid looks great but a lot of kids look awesome but don't develop unless they can get ice time and play against better competition.

and the competition will get much harder for this kid if he wants to go anywhere.

Just look at Tony Hand.

A lot of what you're saying is just random statements that hold no water and have nothing to with my post.

For whatever reason, you think that these kids will be separated by what level they play at growing up and yet that way of thinking is disproved every single year when AAA teams are picked. Simply playing AAA isn't going to make you better. A player in AA can work his ass off to improve and surpass kids in AAA despite playing AA hockey all year long.

There's going to be A LOT of Japanese players that develop into better hockey players than current Canadian AAA players. Case n point, there are currently 2 Japanese players at a PPG pace in the USHL that developed in Japan, outplaying kids from Canada & USA that played AAA in NA their entire lives. Neither one of them were even considered to have any type of elite ability within their country.

Don't bring up Tony Hand if you don't know the story.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The belief that a player could develop as well in Japan as Canada is pretty laughable.

In an exclusive program created by the top tier of developmental minds and coaches from around the globe anyone could develop far better than in a Canadian AAA league.

Not only does it create that same or similar environment, it also presents a unique opportunity, due to the isolation from the interference of dogmatic tendencies. Canadian hubris can have a very significant impact upon the way that a player is taught and develops the game. Without that impact from other coaches around the league, or other players who have been enculturated by these values, the operator of one such program has the opportunity to teach the game purely to their own style or preference.

I think that Barber has done an excellent job teaching the game to Iguchi and hope that he does come to Canada at some point. The isolation from other styles can be both good and bad, as adapting to playing against other styles will be more difficult, but he should make the move at an appropriate age. Maybe at 14-16 so that he can get ready to play in the CHL or whichever other opportunities present themselves.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
However, a move to Canada would bring other challanges not just stronger competition. If he can't handle the foreign environment at this point of his development (not as a hockey player but as a person) a move to Canada or any other country might actually hurt his development. Not every super talented kid is ready to make such a move at age 12.
These things don't happen in a vacuum.

No way, these kids are cattle and should be moved at first opportunity, their comfort be damned! :sarcasm:

I obviously agree that if he has a good coach and facilities, he'll be fine developing at home. Not everyone is capable of a complete cultural and environmental overhaul at 12.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
It isn't possible to play up age groups in Japan? As someone who follows obscure hockey countries, I know that isn't true. As it relates to Crosby, he didn't even find competition fitting his skill level by moving up age groups, he absolutely destroyed every level he played at. He didn't become Crosby by playing Bantam AAA as a Peewee AAA player, he became Crosby by putting in the countless hours to improve both on & off the ice which allowed him to destroy those Bantam AAA players as a Peewee aged kid.

What's foolish is responding to a poster without reading their posts. I clearly said, "the competitiveness can help but the lack of competitiveness doesn't hurt as much as some make it seem" but you obviously had trouble reading it.

A lot of what you're saying is just random statements that hold no water and have nothing to with my post.

For whatever reason, you think that these kids will be separated by what level they play at growing up and yet that way of thinking is disproved every single year when AAA teams are picked. Simply playing AAA isn't going to make you better. A player in AA can work his ass off to improve and surpass kids in AAA despite playing AA hockey all year long.

There's going to be A LOT of Japanese players that develop into better hockey players than current Canadian AAA players. Case n point, there are currently 2 Japanese players at a PPG pace in the USHL that developed in Japan, outplaying kids from Canada & USA that played AAA in NA their entire lives. Neither one of them were even considered to have any type of elite ability within their country.

Don't bring up Tony Hand if you don't know the story.

A lot of players and then you go on to site exactly 2 of them?

Me thinks that maybe the term a lot isn't applicable here.

Also I know the tony Hand story very well and he played junior in Victoria and could have been an NHL player.

Instead he was homesick and was the big fish in a small pond and never got better.

He might develop in Japan but it's more likely eh would develop somewhere else where there is better competition and opportunities to skate as well.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
A lot of players and then you go on to site exactly 2 of them?

Me thinks that maybe the term a lot isn't applicable here.

Also I know the tony Hand story very well and he played junior in Victoria and could have been an NHL player.

Instead he was homesick and was the big fish in a small pond and never got better.

He might develop in Japan but it's more likely eh would develop somewhere else where there is better competition and opportunities to skate as well.

They were the 2 most recent examples out of Japan. Japan is still in their infancy as a developing hockey country with a lot of time, money, and resources being poored in at the grass roots level. I didn't think I'd have to list every random countries best players, you have opposable thumbs and access to eliteprospects.com I'm sure you can find a lot of examples if you put in the effort.

For Tony Hand, what's your point? Developing in Scotland didn't hinder his development, did it? He played a total of 3 games with Victoria where he dominated and was given pretty high praise from Glen Sather at Oilers camp. Imagine that, a country with a lack of competitive junior developed an NHL pick with great hockey sense?

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

I've lived in Japan for a long time and I think if he really wants to make a career out of hockey he should consider coming to NA. Not saying Japanese hockey is bad or anything but the way things are coached and how they play are just so much more different than in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad