F Aito Iguchi - Saitama Warriors, Japan (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I fixed it to say thread, but not before you beat me, good job.

Feels like every single one of your posts are in this thread too.

Are you seriously criticizing someone who posts here with firsthand knowledge?

It's hockey's future, not NHL's future. If this kid wants to, he will play in the pros. It may be a low level league like the Italian league or the ECHl, but based on past performance it is a safe bet to believe he has at least that ability. Is it likely he makes the NHL? Who cares? Emilio probably won't either, but that is one of the greatest threads of all time in this sub-forum and possibly the entire forum. imo Aito has some chance of being drafted should he decide to pursue it, particularly with the move towards smaller skilled players in the NHL.

And this thread serves not only to discuss Aito, but many aspects of Japanese hockey, and development paths facing kids from different parts of the world. Threads like this make this forum worthwhile.

And we are lucky enough to have someone with first hand knowledge posting excellent and detailed posts.

Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion. I totally disagree with it and hope that this thread continues, and that knowledgeable people continue to participate.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Are you seriously criticizing someone who posts here with firsthand knowledge?

It's hockey's future, not NHL's future. If this kid wants to, he will play in the pros. It may be a low level league like the Italian league or the ECHl, but based on past performance it is a safe bet to believe he has at least that ability. Is it likely he makes the NHL? Who cares? Emilio probably won't either, but that is one of the greatest threads of all time in this sub-forum and possibly the entire forum. imo Aito has some chance of being drafted should he decide to pursue it, particularly with the move towards smaller skilled players in the NHL.

And this thread serves not only to discuss Aito, but many aspects of Japanese hockey, and development paths facing kids from different parts of the world. Threads like this make this forum worthwhile.

And we are lucky enough to have someone with first hand knowledge posting excellent and detailed posts.

Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion. I totally disagree with it and hope that this thread continues, and that knowledgeable people continue to participate.
If you look above the text boxes on your screen and the post boxes you'll see that we are in a sub-forum in the forum HFBoards and that sub-forum is called "NHL Draft - Prospects." If you are not talking about NHL draft prospects in the NHL draft prospects forum, it does not matter how "knowledgeable" someone is, because their posts aren't ignorant, they're merely off topic. Now, I'm ok with him saying something to the effect of "he's my friend so I believe he can be an NHL prospect." I respect that. But you arguing here that it's irrelevant whether or not someone is an NHL prospect in an NHL prospect subforum is really incorrect. There are subforums for hockey talk by country, there are subforums for international tournaments if he participates in a tournament.

If I posted, for example, a thread in International Tournaments on "Kunlun Red Star", even if I was an expert. Doesn't matter. Kunlun Red Star is vaguely related to International hockey, it's a chinese team, but it's not a tournament. That belongs in the Hockey talk by country thread or the KHL thread. Not the International Tournaments thread.

He is arguing that he is topical. I don't think you saying that it doesn't matter whether anyone is topical in general is helping him.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What is this rule about only keeping threads open only for NHL prospects? Is it really that hard for you to just not read something on the internet if you don't want to?

I mean if you guys want to keep talking about a guy who might top out as an ECHL or D2/3 European leagues then feel free... just seems like a waste of this board when we have actual NHL quality players to talk about.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If you look above the text boxes on your screen and the post boxes you'll see that we are in a sub-forum in the forum HFBoards and that sub-forum is called "NHL Draft - Prospects." If you are not talking about NHL draft prospects in the NHL draft prospects forum, it does not matter how "knowledgeable" someone is, because their posts aren't ignorant, they're merely off topic. Now, I'm ok with him saying something to the effect of "he's my friend so I believe he can be an NHL prospect." I respect that. But you arguing here that it's irrelevant whether or not someone is an NHL prospect in an NHL prospect subforum is really incorrect. There are subforums for hockey talk by country, there are subforums for international tournaments if he participates in a tournament.

If I posted, for example, a thread in International Tournaments on "Kunlun Red Star", even if I was an expert. Doesn't matter. Kunlun Red Star is vaguely related to International hockey, it's a chinese team, but it's not a tournament. That belongs in the Hockey talk by country thread or the KHL thread. Not the International Tournaments thread.

He is arguing that he is topical. I don't think you saying that it doesn't matter whether anyone is topical in general is helping him.

Bull.

The sub-forum is "Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft."

This is the place to discuss a young hockey prospect from Japan, it is an excellent thread that makes this forum worth visiting, and a significant part of that is Gordon's contributions, certainly not yours.

As for the hockey talk by country, that forum is rarely visited, such that the thread on Japanese hockey takes about a year before someone replied to the last post. So it is no surprise that all sorts of young players from around the world are discussed in this sub-forum.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Bull.

The sub-forum is "Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft."

This is the place to discuss a young hockey prospect from Japan, it is an excellent thread that makes this forum worth visiting, and a significant part of that is Gordon's contributions, certainly not yours.

As for the hockey talk by country, that forum is rarely visited, such that the thread on Japanese hockey takes about a year before someone replied to the last post. So it is no surprise that all sorts of young players from around the world are discussed in this sub-forum.
Look at that description. It allows 2 things.
1. Prospects
2. NHL draft

Prospects is a technical term. It's also known by its common usage, ergo, no one is posting AlpsHL prospects here. It's also known by Noscitur a sociis, when surrounded by terms referencing the NHL draft, a term is known by its peers. There is no good argument that "prospects" merely means any player who could potentially play in any league in any part of the world.

The "from all over the world" means not just Canada, but also Finland, Sweden, Russia, location is not a constricting factor, but NHL draft prospects is.

The separate mention of "and the NHL draft" is to allow for threads like draft rankings or discussion of pick positions. Things not concerning a prospect but concerning the draft as a whole.

The fact that no one visits that thread might indicate that interest is low. Which is natural for less popular topics. Because people come here to discuss the NHL draft and prospects related to that. That is why this forum is popular. Trying to introduce a less popular topic into the thread in order to ape off of the popularity of this thread is bad form. It can be done. I could make dozens of pages for chinese, and hungarian, and slovenian kids and clutter the sub-forum such that no one would ever be able to find actual NHL draft prospects. That would decrease the popularity of the page, not increase it, no matter how much of an expert I was on the subject.

And it's also not what Gordon Graham wants. Gordon wants Aito to be an NHL prospect. Not for us to say "oh he's not an NHL prospect but he should still be in the NHL prospect forum." You're not doing him a service, if anything, you're doing him a detriment. Stop white knighting.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Look at that description. It allows 2 things.
1. Prospects
2. NHL draft

Prospects is a technical term. It's also known by its common usage, ergo, no one is posting AlpsHL prospects here. It's also known by Noscitur a sociis, when surrounded by terms referencing the NHL draft, a term is known by its peers. There is no good argument that "prospects" merely means any player who could potentially play in any league in any part of the world.

The "from all over the world" means not just Canada, but also Finland, Sweden, Russia, location is not a constricting factor, but NHL draft prospects is.

The separate mention of "and the NHL draft" is to allow for threads like draft rankings or discussion of pick positions. Things not concerning a prospect but concerning the draft as a whole.

The fact that no one visits that thread might indicate that interest is low. Which is natural for less popular topics. Because people come here to discuss the NHL draft and prospects related to that. That is why this forum is popular. Trying to introduce a less popular topic into the thread in order to ape off of the popularity of this thread is bad form. It can be done. I could make dozens of pages for chinese, and hungarian, and slovenian kids and clutter the sub-forum such that no one would ever be able to find actual NHL draft prospects. That would decrease the popularity of the page, not increase it, no matter how much of an expert I was on the subject.

And it's also not what Gordon Graham wants. Gordon wants Aito to be an NHL prospect. Not for us to say "oh he's not an NHL prospect but he should still be in the NHL prospect forum." You're not doing him a service, if anything, you're doing him a detriment. Stop white knighting.

Interest is very high in Aito, this thread is proof of that. Those other sub-forums are essentially ignored by posters. You add nothing to this thread. Gordon adds tremendously and makes the forum worth visiting. If you don't like the thread, ignore it. If you don't think it belongs here, report it to the Mods. Good luck with that. And goodbye, I won't waste any more time on a troll.

Gordon Graham

Jan 17, 2017
Saitama, Japan
Gordon wants people to see Aito as an NHL prospect.
Not exactly. I only want to express that Aito is not some washed up "15 minutes of fame on Youtube" has been @16 and that not playing in the CHL or USHL this season doesn't make him so. For some players it's clearly discernible @16 that they are a bonafide NHL draft prospect. Aito is not one of those guys which makes him fodder for dismissiveness. I get it. I also get that I'm biased, having coached him since he was 5. My expectations are tempered by reality. I grew up playing AAA hockey in Toronto and played with and against the likes of Paul Coffey, Adam Oates and Larry Murphy, so I have first hand experience with what NHL level talent looks like at the minor hockey stage. All I'm saying is he is developing his leg strength in order to challenge for a spot on the Waterloo roster next season, and doing so with the national program in Japan is not as hopeless as some on this thread have implied. If he makes the club, I suspect it will take him at least until Christmas to adjust to the time and space of the USHL game, just like it has taken Sato such time to adjust to the Q. I firmly believe they will both find their legs and groove by their 2nd seasons at which time we will all have a better idea of whether or not they are legitimate prospects.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Not exactly. I only want to express that Aito is not some washed up "15 minutes of fame on Youtube" has been @16 and that not playing in the CHL or USHL this season doesn't make him so. For some players it's clearly discernible @16 that they are a bonafide NHL draft prospect. Aito is not one of those guys which makes him fodder for dismissiveness. I get it. I also get that I'm biased, having coached him since I was 5. My expectations are tempered by reality. All I'm saying is he is developing his leg strength in order to challenge for a spot on the Waterloo roster next season. If he makes the club, I suspect it will take him at least until Christmas to adjust to the time and space of the USHL game, just like it has taken Sato such time to adjust to the Q. I firmly believe they will both find their legs and groove by their 2nd seasons at which time we will all have a better idea of whether or not they are legitimate prospects.
Sure. I think for the purposes of the existence of a thread, that is sufficient. I also posted a thread with my friends a couple years ago and people said to me that they're not going to be drafted, so I think it's sufficient for a thread that there's a reasonable chance and it's appropriate as well if others may disagree. I just disagree with the sentiment that we should include prospects for the local XYZ European league as well, and I didn't think that's what you were saying.

If you keep in touch with all these boys and spur them on that's great. People underestimate how much a consistent positive influence can do for a young hockey player.

Gordon Graham

Jan 17, 2017
Saitama, Japan
To be fair, they can't update what isn't public knowledge lol The only info on him is from the IIHF website which still shows 5'3" 117lbs
Why don't they have his stats from all the other tournaments he participated in besides the Bell Capital Cup? Who updates the info? The Pat Quinn Classic and The Golden Horseshoe were AAA tournaments in Canada which needed participating players to be sanctioned by Hockey Canada, BC Hockey and OMHA respectively. Odd that his stats aren't listed for those tournaments. Also, Yu Sato was listed at 5'5", 145lbs as late as last year.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Why don't they have his stats from all the other tournaments he participated in besides the Bell Capital Cup? Who updates the info? The Pat Quinn Classic and The Golden Horseshoe were AAA tournaments in Canada which needed participating players to be sanctioned by Hockey Canada, BC Hockey and OMHA respectively. Odd that his stats aren't listed for those tournaments. Also, Yu Sato was listed at 5'5", 145lbs as late as last year.

I don't think I've seen any of those tournaments ever covered on EP :dunno:

Gordon Graham

Jan 17, 2017
Saitama, Japan
Just a guess but I think it was probably to give him a profile on their site after the YouTube video dropped/went viral?
I'm sure that's it. Teppei Ueno is playing for Toronto Jr.Canadiens Midget AAA, the GTHL's top Midget club. Nada on him. I wonder who maintains these sites and how they mine their information.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm sure that's it. Teppei Ueno is playing for Toronto Jr.Canadiens Midget AAA, the GTHL's top Midget club. Nada on him. I wonder who maintains these sites and how they mine their information.

GTHL doesn't provide public stats. They did it for 1 season like 5 years ago and haven't done it again since. The best you get is from the OHL Draft Guide in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad