Davidson (#5)
Fayne (#6)
Reinhart (AHL/#6)
Oesterle (#7)
Fraser (AHL)

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I already know what Larsson brings to the table.

I am more excited to see Sekera perform consistently overall due to a slow start last season which was expected.

I am also very very excited to see both Klefbom and Davidson to progress.

It should also be good years for Nurse and Reinhart developing their games.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This article is insane. Sooo many places for me to disagree.

Larsson a solid #2/#3? Well does that mean he's going to be on our 2nd pairing? No? Then what the hell are you talking about? He and Klefbom will make the most legit pairing we've had in maybe a decade. Both players can make solid contributions in ALL situations. Larsson will be a solid 1st pairing d-man.

Sekera isn't being paid like a top pairing d-man. He's being paid like a #3 d-man. Exactly what he is. When he came in here we all said he wasn't a #2. We said he was ideally a #3 but he'd be playing top pairing minutes due to our lack of depth.

Klefbom will be fine. He hasn't been a slow starter in the past and he was skating long before the draft combine. It was an infection, not a broken leg. Not something that needs month of rehab. Given he probably needs to hit the gym to get the muscle tone back in his legs, everything else will be fine. Unless Klefbom regresses (not expecting that) we will see the same awesome man from the start of next season.

Don't expect Davidson to be an all situations man? What on earth are you talking about? He was by far our best penalty killer last year! When Klefbom got hurt last night all of us felt that the team had officially crapped the best for the rest of the year, then Davidson showed us that he was almost as important to our team as Klefbom. Dude has a great point shot to use on the PP, skates the puck out of danger consistently 5 on 5 and he logged a TON of minutes on the PK last year. He IS our all situation guy. He is our all around useful jack of all trades guy. How on earth can you say that he doesn't play in all situations when that's exactly what makes him so attractive a player?!?!?!

On Nurse: I'm not so sure. I'd like to see him and Reinhart start the year in the AHL. Unless Edmonton makes a trade and acquires another d-man I see one of them starting the year with the Oilers. Some of my friends figure that Nurse would look great playing 14-15 minutes per night and I agree to some extent but I'd honestly just rather have the both of them logging huge minutes on the farm team where there's no pressure on them.

Also, why do we have to accept Reinhart as a bust? Isn't it possible that we picked him up as a development in waiting project? D-men typically develop slower and while it's possible that Reinhart shouldn't have gone 4th overall he could easily be a solid late bloomer. It's kinda pathetic to still people crying over spilled milk with the "essentially cost us 2 1st rounders to get him" angle. Really dude, most of us are over it.

Why shouldn't Osterle be the first call-up guy?
He's a right handed d-man... oh... man... we need those, don't we?
He's a solid PMD. Oh.. man... we need those too, don't we?
He doesn't seem to panic with the puck while under pressure. Oh man... wait... isn't that a good thing?
He's not the type of player that we've heavily invested in. He's the type of player we can afford to keep as a #7 d-man. He has a legit shot to start the year in the NHL as opposed to your dumb idea of being the 3rd injury call-up. What the hell?!? What's the point in having Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL saying that they're having a development year if either of them are the first injury call-up?

Congrats, you know nothing about the Oilers.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Larsson a solid #2/#3? Well does that mean he's going to be on our 2nd pairing? No? Then what the hell are you talking about? He and Klefbom will make the most legit pairing we've had in maybe a decade. Both players can make solid contributions in ALL situations. Larsson will be a solid 1st pairing d-man.

Sekera isn't being paid like a top pairing d-man. He's being paid like a #3 d-man. Exactly what he is. When he came in here we all said he wasn't a #2. We said he was ideally a #3 but he'd be playing top pairing minutes due to our lack of depth.

Klefbom will be fine. He hasn't been a slow starter in the past and he was skating long before the draft combine. It was an infection, not a broken leg. Not something that needs month of rehab. Given he probably needs to hit the gym to get the muscle tone back in his legs, everything else will be fine. Unless Klefbom regresses (not expecting that) we will see the same awesome man from the start of next season.

Don't expect Davidson to be an all situations man? What on earth are you talking about? He was by far our best penalty killer last year! When Klefbom got hurt last night all of us felt that the team had officially crapped the best for the rest of the year, then Davidson showed us that he was almost as important to our team as Klefbom. Dude has a great point shot to use on the PP, skates the puck out of danger consistently 5 on 5 and he logged a TON of minutes on the PK last year. He IS our all situation guy. He is our all around useful jack of all trades guy. How on earth can you say that he doesn't play in all situations when that's exactly what makes him so attractive a player?!?!?!

On Nurse: I'm not so sure. I'd like to see him and Reinhart start the year in the AHL. Unless Edmonton makes a trade and acquires another d-man I see one of them starting the year with the Oilers. Some of my friends figure that Nurse would look great playing 14-15 minutes per night and I agree to some extent but I'd honestly just rather have the both of them logging huge minutes on the farm team where there's no pressure on them.

Also, why do we have to accept Reinhart as a bust? Isn't it possible that we picked him up as a development in waiting project? D-men typically develop slower and while it's possible that Reinhart shouldn't have gone 4th overall he could easily be a solid late bloomer. It's kinda pathetic to still people crying over spilled milk with the "essentially cost us 2 1st rounders to get him" angle. Really dude, most of us are over it.

He doesn't seem to panic with the puck while under pressure. Oh man... wait... isn't that a good thing?
He's not the type of player that we've heavily invested in. He's the type of player we can afford to keep as a #7 d-man. He has a legit shot to start the year in the NHL as opposed to your dumb idea of being the 3rd injury call-up. What the hell?!? What's the point in having Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL saying that they're having a development year if either of them are the first injury call-up?

Just cause a player plays on the top pairing, does not make them a 1/2, for example Sekera last year played top pairing and is a #3.

Since Malkin plays 2C does that not mean hes the quality of a 1C?

With that being said I believe Larsson is a #2, and will compliment Klefbom really well.

And Oesterle is not a RHD, where did you see that?

BelowTheIce

Aug 27, 2015

Oesterle = left handed

Nurse: Thank you for repeating what I said

Davidson: Dont stress him out and overplay him. (see Justin Schultz). Give him PP and 5v5 and let the Faynes, Sekeras, Larssons and Klefboms handle the PK.

Sekera: Paid the same (or close to same ) as Leddy, OEL, Keith, Seabrook, Bouwmeester, Niskanen. He makes top 2 money.

Also I've been a season seat holder for 10 years. So I've got a pretty decent sample size when it comes to Oilers hockey

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oesterle = left handed

Davidson: Dont stress him out and overplay him. (see Justin Schultz). Give him PP and 5v5 and let the Faynes, Sekeras, Larssons and Klefboms handle the PK.

Sekera: Paid the same (or close to same ) as Leddy, OEL, Keith, Seabrook, Bouwmeester, Niskanen. He makes top 2 money.

Also I've been a season seat holder for 10 years. So I've got a pretty decent sample size when it comes to Oilers hockey

Well now that a tier 1 fan has chimed in I guess we can all log off.

He is also paid the same as plenty of #3 Dmen. Picking out guys who have really good contracts and play top pair is kinda disingenuous. You could find six guys who make $5.5M and play second pair to prove that he make 2nd pair money.

But I'm not a season ticket holder so I guess you must know more. I heard Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning, maybe you could hang out with him and learn a few more things, he's had basically season seats for 30+ years.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well now that a tier 1 fan has chimed in I guess we can all log off.

He is also paid the same as plenty of #3 Dmen. Picking out guys who have really good contracts and play top pair is kinda disingenuous. You could find six guys who make $5.5M and play second pair to prove that he make 2nd pair money.

But I'm not a season ticket holder so I guess you must know more. I heard Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning, maybe you could hang out with him and learn a few more things, he's had basically season seats for 30+ years.

Exactly what I was going to say. Do you REALLY think Keith would get his contract today or even the last 2 years for that matter? If you think so, you are delusional. Keith, Bouwmeester, OEL, are all on bargain contracts. Of course you can say they all are paid to be Top 2 because they can PLAY Top 2. Sekera was destined to be paid 7M a year before Free Agency and everyone knew he'd get that much since he was the best defenceman on the market then. The fact he signed for 5.5M is actually a bargain because of demand for him. I've read some articles from other posters and I don't usually have that big of a disagreement with it, but THIS one? REALLY?!?! :shakehead

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Davidson should certainly see time on PK2 or even PK1 if Klef and Larson are not available. He has a bit of size, a long reach, is a good skater and is proficient in puck battles. Just what you want from a guy to neutralize rebounds and win puck battles to clear the zone.
Unlike Justin Schultz, I think Davidson has the tools for the game at even strength and shorthanded. He could be our Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oesterle = left handed

Really? Davidson is NOTHING like Schultz. For one thing, Davidson KNOWS how to defend. Secondly, Davidson is more reliable than most of our defense. That's a horrible comparison IMO. Davidson actually looks like he WANTS to learn. Unlike Schultz.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Reinhart didn't cost two first round picks. Also, we're talking about expectations, just say he's going to be a top defenseman for Bakersfield and a decent call up option. It kind of reeks of animosity if you say "Don't expect him to play like a 4th overall." It would be better to say, "Don't expect him to steal a top 4 spot." I expect him to challenge for a bottom pairing spot in camp this year. There's no sense dwelling on what he costed.

I would think Larsson is a lock to be our top RHD this year. He would be a #2 quality at least, and if anything Klefbom is the one that is in doubt as a #2/3. We've got more competition for LHD spots, and Klefbom hasn't fully established himself yet.

edit: for Davidson I will say that I think he will push for a top 4 spot on the right side during the season. I agree that we will get one or two PTO RHD, but they will be gambles like Wisniewski. I thought Davidson was brilliant on the right side at the end of the season. To me, he looked better actually.

Last edited:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

Might want to put the Mountain Dew down and relax........people can have different opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad