Expected Finish of Top Eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Finn said:
Denmarks goalie played great, and if I understand correctly then what you're saying is hey it was all the refs fault... sweden played excellent the refs just made them look bad.... and if that is the case then I am not going to even argue with you as that is something I'd expect someone to say after losing a pee wee house game. Sweden may have a better offense than Finland, but that doesn't mean they rank above Finland especially since they played worse.

Sweden played bad because they were not aloved to play good. Denmark is way more disciplined than Ukranie. However I think Finland and Sweden are pretty tight no matter who is the best.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
leafs4thecup said:
Prior to the tournament's starting, my point has always been that the best team on paper should win. That is usually Canada. As in every sport however, there are always extraneous variables that can affect results, especially in ths lockout year.
Extraneous variables? Like team play? :shakehead

"On paper" the New York Rangers should more than simply make the playoffs every year, which they haven't even been able to do for a long time; the best record in the regular season should translate into Cups, which actually is rare!

After watching all of the teams play a game in this tourney(thank you mediazone!), I ranked them into gold (Czech, Finn, USA), silver (Canada, Slovakia, Sweden) and bronze (Russia, Belarus) categories based on team play. I'll do so after the second games as well. It's all about what they DO in the tourney and ability shown. As the tourney goes on, the better TEAMS will rise despite what they contribute as individual players elsewhere.

May the best team win.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
BHLCommish said:
Slovakia is being severely underrated, Chara will play tons of minutes, they have the most skilled top 2 lines in the tournament with two good checking lines, most if not all of their players have played this year, and Stana has had a solid season facing a lot of quality NHL shooters playing in Slovakia.

No question that Slovakia is being underestimated by some on this board but I'd be willing to put Canada's top two lines up against any team's in this tournament.

Chara can only play SO many minutes and their goaltending is questionable at best - regardless of a 'good' season in Slovakia.

They'll contend for a medal though, I agree with you there.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
VanIslander said:
Extraneous variables? Like team play? :shakehead

"On paper" the New York Rangers should more than simply make the playoffs every year, which they haven't even been able to do for a long time; the best record in the regular season should translate into Cups, which actually is rare!

After watching all of the teams play a game in this tourney(thank you mediazone!), I ranked them into gold (Czech, Finn, USA), silver (Canada, Slovakia, Sweden) and bronze (Russia, Belarus) categories based on team play. I'll do so after the second games as well. It's all about what they DO in the tourney and ability shown. As the tourney goes on, the better TEAMS will rise despite what they contribute as individual players elsewhere.

May the best team win.

I'll give you credit for saying that you'll re-do your 'team play' rankings after the second game played by each tournament.

However, you're just as equally deserving of a :shakehead as the guy above for posting these tremendous rankings based on one game. Got this down to a science have we?

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
BigE said:
I'll give you credit for saying that you'll re-do your 'team play' rankings after the second game played by each tournament.

However, you're just as equally deserving of a :shakehead as the guy above for posting these tremendous rankings based on one game. Got this down to a science have we?

wich guy above? me?

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
How I would like it to end:
1. Russia
2. Czech Rep
3. Belarus
4. Slovakia
5. Finland
6. Sweden
7. USA
8. Canada

How I think it will end:
1. Russia
2. Czech Rep
3. Canada
4. USA
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden
7. Finland
8. Belarus

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
BigE said:

Not a science. Although in a way: Based on actual observations of team play in the tourney!

I've watched too many tournaments and playoffs and listen to people get "shocked" at the play of teams which was almost predictable based on recent play. The Florida Panthers went to the Stanley Cup Finals a decade ago and it was no surprise to those of us who saw how well they geled as a team despite a shortage of stars; same with the Capitals a few years later when I went on the record pegging Kolzig as playoff MVP to the hysterical laughter of many, only to see him then lead his team to the fianl and almost win the Conn Smythe.

It's all based on observations of team play.

Of course players could suddenly get it all together, or succeed based on a series of individual great plays.

But my method for the tourney is simply to rank the teams based on what I see in each game of the tourney.

It is one way among many.

I'm not going to be a homer and say Canada is playing the best, because they aren't (maybe will later); nor will I simply prejudge by looking at stars on a roster and predict based on which roster is loaded (as NYR now know doesn't work).

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
VanIslander said:
I'm not going to be a homer and say Canada is playing the best, because they aren't (maybe will later); nor will I simply prejudge by looking at stars on a roster and predict based on which roster is loaded (as NYR now know doesn't work).

I wasn't suggesting that you should be.

However, you'd think for somebody that claims to have watched so many tournaments they'd have a little more sense than to post 'meaningful' rankings after one game each.

A person can watch as many games as they want and still not understand a god-damn thing about hockey; much less the teams in that tournament or the players in that tournament.

Give the be-all-end-all act a rest.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
VanIslander said:
BASED on what was SHOWN after each team played one game:

Gold: Putting together a team game.
Silver: Showing many aspects, with some weaknesses
Bronze: talented but not putting it together yet
Honorable mention: Good at some things but pretty green still

1. Czech Republic
2. Finland
3. USA

4. Canada
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden

7. Russia
8. Belarus

9. Austria
10. Denmark
11. Kazakhstan
12. Germany

Nice list. That's what impressed me always by Fins. No matter who they ice they are always underdogs but are always strong, intense and play team game with beautyfull tic tac toe passing. They are fun to watch. Go Suomi :clap:

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Archijerej said:
Nice list. That's what impressed me always by Fins. No matter who they ice they are always underdogs but are always strong, intense and play team game with beautyfull tic tac toe passing. They are fun to watch. Go Suomi :clap:

and no matter how great they play, they still get beaten by Sweden :yo:

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
1. Canada. -No weak spot in this squad.
2. Russia. -Ilja will lead the way.
3. Finland. -Why not? ;) Missing some stars, but hopefully we are up here.
4. Czech. -Vykoun has been strugling.
5. Slovakia. -Defence has only few decent players.
6. Sweden.
7. Austria. -Home advance makes a big difference.
8. Belarus.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Shack said:
1. Canada. -No weak spot in this squad.
2. Russia. -Ilja will lead the way.
3. Finland. -Why not? ;) Missing some stars, but hopefully we are up here.
4. Czech. -Vykoun has been strugling.
5. Slovakia. -Defence has only few decent players.
6. Sweden.
7. Austria. -Home advance makes a big difference.
8. Belarus.

It is impossible that AUT, SVK, RUS and BLR make the quarterfinals since they are all in the same group.

I don't agree with your rankings.
First, Canada has weak spots. They played very sloppy two days ago. Only Nash and Thorton are very good. Brodeur is not on his best and he won't carry the team all the way.
Second, Ilya won't lead the way because he is one of the worst players so far (unless Zivovjev comes back-they click well together)

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
TORRUS said:
It is impossible that AUT, SVK, RUS and BLR make the quarterfinals since they are all in the same group.

I don't agree with your rankings.
First, Canada has weak spots. They played very sloppy two days ago. Only Nash and Thorton are very good. Brodeur is not on his best and he won't carry the team all the way.
Second, Ilya won't lead the way because he is one of the worst players so far (unless Zivovjev comes back-they click well together)

Yep, Clearly I didn't think this well.

I'll keep my top 3, forget the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad