Expectations for Gaudreau

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
it is also a bit slower, so it provides a stepping stone to adjust to the fast game. and while the AHL may be more physical, the big physical guys In the NHL are MUCH faster, patient and more agile than in the AHL.

I completely agree with all of this. There's also the fact of the matter that the AHL is simply a level of skill lower than the NHL, and while he ate the NCAA alive, he may need an intermediate league in which to tweak his offensive game so he can stay effective at every level rather than completely bombing at the NHL level and losing confidence à la Baertschi (not saying Baertschi "bombed" per se, but going from a 2ppg pace in the WHL to a highly diminished role in the NHL probably had a significant effect on him losing confidence in the big league).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
it is also a bit slower, so it provides a stepping stone to adjust to the fast game. and while the AHL may be more physical, the big physical guys In the NHL are MUCH faster, patient and more agile than in the AHL.

Its true that it is quite a bit slower. I guess my main concern is I just don't see it helping his game that much. For a short stint I could see it being helpful, to help him get used to playing against slightly* larger players than hes used to but over the course of a whole season I just don't see the massive benefit for him verses being in the NHL.

I do think he will spend some time in the AHL this year, and I think if that happens he will likely dominate on the scoreboard and look out of place.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Eric Lindros' problem was a mix of the way he played, and the fact that concussions weren't fully understood by team doctors/trainers at that time.

He received some devastating hits, which should have had him sit out half a season or even a full season; instead he got cleared and then any bump seemed to lay him out. I think once. he had missed only like 2 games after a concussion. I'm sorry; but that's just not okay. He spent what seemed like only 2 years getting concussed, coming back, only to get concussed; I think it was like 6 concussions over that time.

You can't even compare the two, honestly, hockey and management of head injury isn't comparable from even 15 years ago.

I have no fear for Johnny, just because someone's small doesn't mean they'll get blown up every time they touch the puck. Look at MSL; he's tiny yet missed a total of 7 games in his past 10 seasons. No need to be freaked out about this.

Also Scott Stevens was in the league. That didn't help.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
The kid was dominant at the World Championships playing against many legit NHLers. For the most part, the level of competition at the WC is above that of the AHL and Gaudreau dazzled. He's ready for the NHL.

And he won't get much bigger spending 30 games or even an entire season in the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
And I've said this before, but he was clearly the best Flame on the ice in his first NHL game.

djmatthews

Mar 28, 2013
I will reserve judgement until we see him in training camp against other NHL players and the physical play is there.

There is no doubt he has the offensive talent the only thing is can he be effective in the NHL.

fallsviewafro*

Without a Calder, Hart, Conn Smythe, and Cup win along with 75goals/100 assists, he will be a complete bust...

...or so you would think reading the Gaudreau prospect thread.

Seriously, lay off the kid. I'd be impressed if he hit 30pts and stayed for 3/4 of the season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The kid was dominant at the World Championships playing against many legit NHLers. For the most part, the level of competition at the WC is above that of the AHL and Gaudreau dazzled. He's ready for the NHL.

And he won't get much bigger spending 30 games or even an entire season in the AHL.
Matthew Lombardi was once dominant at the WC too, I wouldn't put much stock into it.

BlowPhish

Sep 8, 2006
I completely agree with all of this. There's also the fact of the matter that the AHL is simply a level of skill lower than the NHL, and while he ate the NCAA alive, he may need an intermediate league in which to tweak his offensive game so he can stay effective at every level rather than completely bombing at the NHL level and losing confidence à la Baertschi (not saying Baertschi "bombed" per se, but going from a 2ppg pace in the WHL to a highly diminished role in the NHL probably had a significant effect on him losing confidence in the big league).

This is a good point you make about confidence. Not just that but being away from friends and family can be tough for the first while. I've been paying close attention to his answers in the interviews. He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. When he answers he doesn't pause and be as cliche as a lot of hockey players are. He seems to answer off the cuff and displays a good maturaty level. Seems to me he's in complete control and knows exactly what he needs to do. Love his attitude which is why I think he'll be able to handle adversity quite well. Doesn't come off soft at all. That said there is a speed and safety adjustment to get used too. I'm really on the fence about what's best for him. There's no doubt in my mind that he immediately makes the Flames a better team. #faithincoaching

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
P5Vmesg.gif

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Gaudreau makes the lineup, I'd love to have:

Colborne
Gaudreau
Hudler
Monahan
Byron

As our top 5 shootout shooters. Monahan at the #4 spot always worked for some reason.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also Scott Stevens was in the league. That didn't help.

That hit in the playoffs he had on Lindros is legendary. What a scary thought have Scotty Stevens on your backend. He'd be suspended every few games lol.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That hit in the playoffs he had on Lindros is legendary. What a scary thought have Scotty Stevens on your backend. He'd be suspended every few games lol.

I'm hoping Sieloff is a Stevensesque type player, minus a little more offence. But I have a feeling that Sieloff will be a well known player in the NHL.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm hoping Sieloff is a Stevensesque type player, minus a little more offence. But I have a feeling that Sieloff will be a well known player in the NHL.

Yeah. I think Calgary needs a high end defender (not just a bottom guy) who trolls the blue line and devastates people. I hope Sieloff can turn his fortune around.

People forget that Scotty Stevens was over a .5 ppg player. He was my favorite player growing up lol.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah. I think Calgary needs a high end defender (not just a bottom guy) who trolls the blue line and devastates people. I hope Sieloff can turn his fortune around.

People forget that Scotty Stevens was over a .5 ppg player. He was my favorite player growing up lol.

You barely have Dmen who destroy at the blue line nowadays. That use to be apart of Phaneuf's game and he barely does it. Kronwall barely does his hits anymore.

Also Stevens had a lot of dirty hits. He ended Lindros' career. That hit should have been when Lindros should've stopped playing. I would be happy if Seiloff became a Regher with offense, maybe Smid with offense.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I know, everyone remembers his hits but he was a solid contributor to. I think Sieloff is a hockey player as well, he can skate and pass, but doesn't have the offensive upside of Stevens. However, I'm hoping we get a similar player like that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You barely have Dmen who destroy at the blue line nowadays. That use to be apart of Phaneuf's game and he barely does it. Kronwall barely does his hits anymore.

Also Stevens had a lot of dirty hits. He ended Lindros' career. That hit should have been when Lindros should've stopped playing. I would be happy if Seiloff became a Regher with offense, maybe Smid with offense.

I'm not just talking about a guy who delivers an open-ice hit... that is a rare thing in today's NHL... I'm talking about someone who makes people pay, physically, but isn't just a guy who plays 10 or less a night and only looks to do that.

Smid does an okay job at that, but he doesn't have a mean streak at all... outside of punishing Bieksa in that line brawl.

I'm a huge fan of Captain Crunch; the way he could change a game by delivering a hit is something the Flames severely lack... I don't think going forward, we can just hope Big Ern gets the boys fired up with his 7 minutes a night... I'd rather have a guy who can do 15+ a night but can also change the dynamics of the game through physicality.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

This is rich.:lol: He dazzled alright. He compiled 10 points in 4 games against Germany, Belarus, Latvia and Kazakstan....:laugh:.....with a grand total of.....wait for it.... 2 NHL players playing on the 4 teams combined. Using the worlds as a measuring stick for NHL readiness is absurd.:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad