Proposal: Expansion to 36 Teams

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
62EC87DB-F3AC-4C7B-8D2A-D1481EDF47D5.jpeg

This came up in the GDT with regards to Montreal only coming to town once per season.

I have seen this proposal before on social media and figured it makes sense to have a dedicated space to discuss the topic.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I am opposed to expansion and would actually advocate contraction (which will never happen).

What I find interesting is that, when I first began watching sports, it was at the very end of the 21 team league era where 16 out of 21 clubs made the playoffs.

The Bruins set their record streak of consecutive seasons qualifying when all they had to do was be better than Hartford or Quebec.

Fast forward to today where half the teams make it and half don’t. The NBA has watered it down with its play in tournament for the 9 and 10 seeds in each conference.

Feels like just a matter of time before the NHL follows suit.

Anyway, it all comes down to the almighty buck. As I said in the other thread, I’m sure all the owners care is that the expansion checks clear. In terms of quality of product? They know the lunatic fringe (us) will continue to buy tickets and shirts.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Id be for it.
This would be more like football playoffs then where top teams can get a first round bye?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That's got to be fake. There's no way in hell they're bringing back the Whale. And no way on heaven and Earth they are bringing back the Whale and not putting them in the Bruins conference. How else are they going to get their 4 sellouts a year?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
That's got to be fake. There's no way in hell they're bringing back the Whale. And no way on heaven and Earth they are bringing back the Whale and not putting them in the Bruins conference. How else are they going to get their 4 sellouts a year?
It’s just speculation in terms of what markets they would expand to. The article is from last year.

However, the concept applies.

You could go 2nd team in Toronto instead of Hartford. Same idea.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bored at work so I goofed around with a schedule for 36 teams:

4 games vs. division = 20 games
3 games vs. rest of conference = 36 games
2 games vs 2 divisions (rotating) from the other conference = 24 games

80 Games

The last 2 games would all be done in the same weekend featuring a home and home vs. a historical/regional rival = 2 games

Boston - Montreal, NYR - NYI, Jersey - Carolina, Philly - Pittsburgh, Colorado - Detroit, etc.

Obviously, some of these "rivalry series" games would be a bit contrived -- (who is Seattle's natural enemy for instance) or possibly a bit unfair, for instance if one playoff contender gets to play a weaker team than the others they are battling for a playoff spot with.

Reactions: BMC

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Should stick to 32 teams/82 games but go back to more games against divisional opponents:

-6 games against each of the 7 in-division teams = 42 games
-3 games against each of the other 8 in-conference teams = 24 games
-1 game against each of the 16 out-of-conference teams = 16 games (rotate Home/Away every other season)

I want teams to hate each other again. 36 teams would just lead to a more watered-down product.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Sad but true. I'd love to see the Whale back in CT but that ship sailed a looooooooong time ago.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Should stick to 32 teams/82 games but go back to more games against divisional opponents:

-6 games against each of the 7 in-division teams = 42 games
-3 games against each of the other 8 in-conference teams = 24 games
-1 game against each of the 16 out-of-conference teams = 16 games (rotate Home/Away every other season)

I want teams to hate each other again. 36 teams would just lead to a more watered-down product.
Pretty bad for the league to have McDavid/Matthews/Makar/Bedard etc only come to your arena once every two years.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I to say you are more likely to see Detroit stay east and another western team added before Hartford comes back. But, I dunno what other western markets you are looking at. Portland? Salt Lake?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Pretty bad for the league to have McDavid/Matthews/Makar/Bedard etc only come to your arena once every two years.

I personally couldn't care less. Laundry is more important than players to me. I hated the Habs long before McDavid was born, and I'll hate them (hopefully) long after he's out of hockey. Give me 8 Habs games a year, and I'll watch McDavid in YouTube highlights.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
It's a way for the present owners to collect $500 million plus without much effort.
Ya that was my first thought. Have to think it would be even more if it’s a few years down the road.

If someone offered me 100 million plus dollars to lose several of my players, as an owner I don’t think I’d look twice.

Might regret it a few years down the line if those teams struggle at the gates but meh. I could cry myself to sleep at night in my money filled pillows.

Reactions: BMC

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I personally couldn't care less. Laundry is more important than players to me. I hated the Habs long before McDavid was born, and I'll hate them (hopefully) long after he's out of hockey. Give me 8 Habs games a year, and I'll watch McDavid in YouTube highlights.

This. Rivalries don't exist anymore playing the division 4 times a year. I don't give a crap abut Arizona, Anaheim, etc....

Reactions: BMC and jgatie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad