Expansion...Protection Rules

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is my best Guess:

Forwards: Kane(NMC), Toews(NMC), Hossa(NMC), Shaw, Panarin, TT, Rasmussen
Defense: Keith(NMC), Seabrook(NMC), Hjalmarson(NMC)
Goalie: Crawford(NMC)
Unprotected: Anisimov, Kruger, Bickell
This accounts for 77% of the salary so the cap has to rise from 71.4M to about 75Mil by the end of 2017. If not that high, Anisimov would have to be exposed.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Here is my best Guess:

Forwards: Kane(NMC), Toews(NMC), Hossa(NMC), Shaw, Panarin, TT, Rasmussen
Defense: Keith(NMC), Seabrook(NMC), Hjalmarson(NMC)
Goalie: Crawford(NMC)
Unprotected: Anisimov, Kruger, Bickell
This accounts for 77% of the salary so the cap has to rise from 71.4M to about 75Mil by the end of 2017. If not that high, Anisimov would have to be exposed.

Rasmussen, :laugh:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If you are forced to protect Hossa (NMC)

Then how is your protection list looking:

Key is exposing 25% salary.

you will have to expose Anisimov by my math.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Hey chi town. Minnesota fan here, would be great if we could ask the question is this expansion team getting a top 3 pick as well... star circulating it through the boards.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The issue is unclear since we have contradictory sources for Hossa having an NMC or not..he might have had one bit not for his entire contract and in such case the provision might have expired already or will expire by 2017/18 ? WE simply do not have confirmation of the actual contract terms ...Logically when Stan gave Hossa the contract it was not at first ruled subject to a re-capture ...that rule came in later retro-actively because the league wanted to stop such long-term from-loaded deals..The league also later limited the max. length of cotracts to 8 years and also put in rules for how much could be from-loaded ..but in a low ing the Hossa deal they did slap a re-capture on it..But since Stan knew that it took Hossa all the way to age 43 he would not likely offer an NMC on it for the entire length of contract.Stan thought probably that he might need to trade Hossa to a floor team when it reached tge last 4 years and his salary was just $1million ...so it makes no sense to offer an NMC for those final 4 years for sure ...I am guessing the NMC came off after 8 years (or before) ..but certainly for the last 4 years Stan would not want to box himself in ...When Stan gave tge contract he did not know anything about a re-capture..so I think the thought process was that he could Move (trade) Hossa at some future time..Thus I suspect that if Hossa had an NMC on his contract ...it may have expired now already or will expire after 2016/17 ...If it only expires after 2017/18 THEN we still must worry about potential NMC impact on an expansion draft for tge 2017/18 season..

HOWEVER their is a 2nd unclear issue ..and this is on the NMC 's being exempt or conversely having to be protected prior to non-NMC's being on a protection list.

If the NMC issue is resolved with the NHLPA to agree to allowing some NMC'S to be left unprotected
IF a team has maxed out its protection lists with all NMC players then perhaps if the Hawks have done that they could opt to leave Hossa and other NMC'S who are excess over the max protected list as exposed to the draft.

HOWEVER if the NHLPA insists that no NMC players can be exposed ..it logically means that All NMC players are automatically exempt from the draft and require No protection because tgey are Exempt in the first place.In that case teams get both an exemption list and then a Protected list .and only players not on either of those 2 lists are up for exposure to the draft ..

So the NHLPA has to either insist All NMC'S are exempt or make a deal with the NHL to allow Some NMC'S to be exposed if a team has used NMC'S to fill it's max. Allowable protected list and then still has some More NMC'S left over it could not put on the list because it had too many NMC'S to fill all the protected list up without any excess left over. SO if it has such excess and if the NHLPA agrees to. Let such excess be exposed
.then this is how teams would fill protected lists. .first fill with only NMC'S to the max.limit of the protected list.Then if any excess NMC'S remain you can expose them.But again if tge NHLPA insist All NMC'S are exempt..then they are exempt before any protection list is made up from remaining roster players.

IF the latter is the case. .all NMC'S exempt prior to any protected list then if a team foolishly gave 23 NMC'S to every player on its roster ..it would then have to expose only from players on contract with the team but who play on the farm ...excluding those who have played no more than 2 seasons of pro hockey...

SO ...getting back to Hossa ...even IF his NMC still is active by the time of the expansion draft,he still could be exposed IF the Hawks have filled their protected list All with other NMC'S ...IF all NMC'S are exempt Before any protected list forms then Hossa like all other NMC'S would not be on any protected list because of exemption.(but if his NMC active then we could not move him without his permission anyway).

IF I had to guess ...I think it likely his NMC has or will expire prior to 2017/18...also that the NHLPA insists all NMC'S are exempt anyway ...In such case ..Hossa would be up for exposure to the draft IF the Hawks chose to move him that way.As to the re-capture if he subsequently retires from his contract before it is up (perhaps never playing for the expansion team or maybe just plays 1 or 2 more years for them and not the entire last 4 years of his contract ) ...it still must be resolved by the NHL as to whether any re-capture then accrues back onto the Hawks..Maybe zero ..because expansion is not a "trade"...Maybe 50-50 to each of the Hawks and the expansion team? Or maybe 100%"back to the Hawks because the NHL still wants them.punished for offering such a quasi -circumvention contract to Hossa in the first place.!
SO plenty of unresolved issues regarding Hossa and the expansion draft and potential re-capture issues.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Again..the source I have looked up shows that Hossa has no NMC already this year 2015/16 ...so if he did have one originally it has already expired as to such clause.

I also retracted from this post some wrong info on other players that I posted here in this post prior to my current edit of it.I will check out 1 more item and post again on those players.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
OK ...so Toews Kane CC and Keith all have full unlimited NMCs ..Hammer has a limited NMC ....Seabrook 's expiring g contact was only a limited NTC but I imagine his extention has either a full or a limited NMC (but I have no source confirming that).

For those with full unlimited NMC'S they still must resolve with tge NHLPA whether such players are automatically exempt from the expansion draft or must go on a Protection List before any remaining Non-NMC players cam be put on to the submitted Protection list.

The resolution of this issue is crucial..because if NMCs are Exempt and do not need to fill a team's Protected List before you start the Protected List ..it means you can keep more players away from exposure to being selected in the expansion draft.

A Secondary issue is whether players with only Limited NMC'S would also be automatically exempt or not If there were an Exempt List of NMCs They might NOT be exempt. IT may depend on whether the Limited NMC was worded to include or exclude expansion movement scenarios.

In the full No movement Clause contracts even if no expansion scenarios were mentioned there is Implied Unlimited No Movement under any scenario.

However by its nature Limited NTCs may limit movement to only specific teams or exclude movement to specific teams or specify a player can submit his list of a certain number of teams he would or would not agree to move to ..but IF there us no specific mention of an expansion team movement scenario then either by not being covered as a specific named team or by not including expansion team as a possible candidate for a submit list a player agrees to give a team in future if they decide then they want to deal him to any team he agrees to it coukd be argued that this submit list only applies to any of the 29 other teams I the league at the time of his contract and not to a 31st or 32nd team..So the lawyers would need to look at tge specific wording of the limited NTCs to see if it includevor excludes expansion teams from the teams a player has already specified or teams he has a furure right to specify to agree to.be moved to. .

Now that means Hammer and Seabrook (if Seabrook's new deal includes only a Limited NTC) might not get automatic Exemption (if there is an Exemption List for NTC PLAYERS) Hawks probably would then put both on the Protection List anyway...but that lessens the amount of Non'NTC players they would otherwise protect .

it would also give them the option of not protecting such limited NTC players for a cap relief reason should they require it for 2017/18.

AS posted earlier the expansion rules props ed by the NHL also provide automatic Exemption for players who have not played more than 2 seasons on tfeir ELC'S ...And so Panarin would be in such Exempt stats category as 2016/1 7 is his 2nd season and he has not yet played a 3rd season

But the other issue is When does tge draft take place (Day and Month)..If it is prior to July 1st ...do you still have Bickell on the roster available for this draft even though he is Ufa July 1 2017? IF he still counts on the available to expose pool (he has no NMC ...only a limited NTC) then the Hawks can count his salary as part of the 25% of 2016/17 payroll that must be exposed. So I guess the Hawks would love to have the expansion draft before July 1st 2017 if there is expansion for 2017/18.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00