Speculation: Expansion Draft

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So looking ahead to the Expansion Draft:

7-3-1 is the likely route we take.

Aho, Staal, Trocheck, Svech, Turbo, Nino, Foegele

Necas exempt, so that gives an option for the 3rd line protection, so either Fast or Foegele there.

Slavin, Pesce, Skjei

thought here is to extend Dougie and Hakanpaa after the ED.

Ned

thought here is to extend Petr after the ED.

So exposed with whose left, we likely lose Bean.

next season:

Svech - Aho - Turbo
Jarvis - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Foegele
Lorentz - Geekie - Fast

Slavin - Dougie
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Hakanpaa

Ned
Petr (or another?)

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Hamilton is going to get some big offers, I wouldn't count on him staying in the team next season. Other than that it looks pretty solid and totally agree on who to protect. Hakanpää seems to like it with Canes and should be an easy negotiation, if they want to keep him in the team.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Do we really want Skejei over Bean? I mean I like the guy, but doesn't Bean have so much upside?
Does keeping Skjei around help us win more in the next 2 years than Bean would between 3 and 5 years from now? I think that's probably the big question here

That being said, I am not really sure how Seattle is going to go here. The big assumption is that they'll go defense just because we're good in those ranks, but I've also read that it looks like the crop of forwards could be pretty thin for the ED. That could lead them to go after someone like Geekie or Nino.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
I like the proposed 2nd line. In actuality it's of course a sheltered offensive third line. Protects Jarvis and partly Necas while letting that line feast on the opponents. Of course knowing Brindy he will share the wealth in the top 9 and play all three lines in all situations.

I think Marty will be extended also. They might also trade Geekie and go for a grittier 4th line. Defense might have more changes but forwards could be very similar next year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hamilton is going to get some big offers, I wouldn't count on him staying in the team next season. Other than that it looks pretty solid and totally agree on who to protect. Hakanpää seems to like it with Canes and should be an easy negotiation, if they want to keep him in the team.
That's also working under an assumption that Hamilton is looking purely for the highest payday with his upcoming contract. That might not necessarily be the case. He's seen first hand that team fit matters a heck of a lot, with things going surprisingly badly in Calgary and Boston (despite his numbers really not justifying the extreme backlash he got). I could definitely see him being the kind of player willing to take a longer contract at a lower AAV just to ensure he's staying with a team that he meshes well with.

I absolutely could be wrong about that, but its just a gut feeling I have.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Hamilton is a Toronto-born good old Canadian kid. I bet he would go back to north instantly, if he got a good deal from there.

Fortunately, none of the (competitive) Canadian teams could afford him. My gut feeling is that Hamilton is not really connected to the Canes like many of the other personnel are and he will go for the payday.

I could be totally wrong about that, obviously and wish that I will be. Having Hamilton and Aho locked in the team with all the other depth + goaltenders would make this team a contender for several more years.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hamilton is a Toronto-born good old Canadian kid. I bet he would go back to north instantly, if he got a good deal from there.

Fortunately, none of the (competitive) Canadian teams could afford him. My gut feeling is that Hamilton is not really connected to the Canes like many of the other personnel are and he will go for the payday.

I could be totally wrong about that, obviously and wish that I will be. Having Hamilton and Aho locked in the team with all the other depth + goaltenders would make this team a contender for several more years.

Dougie doesn’t want anything to do with Toronto. I think you’ve brought this up on the main boards before and it was as wrong then as it is now.

He may go for the big payday but he’s done the big sports market in Boston and the Canadian market in Calgary with less than stellar media experience. I’m am sure all things equal or equal-ish he’s prefer to stay in Carolina with this core. It’s a very tight knit group over the last 3 years.

DaMillers

Jun 26, 2016
Is there any world where we talk Staal into dropping his NMC and not protecting him, knowing that he most likely would not be selected by Seattle? Or is there actually some inkling that they might take him if he is not protected? If they could get him to drop NMC that would give them one more good player they can protect. Might take some coercing I guess :)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Is there any world where we talk Staal into dropping his NMC and not protecting him, knowing that he most likely would not be selected by Seattle? Or is there actually some inkling that they might take him if he is not protected? If they could get him to drop NMC that would give them one more good player they can protect. Might take some coercing I guess :)
Staal is chosen with 0 doubt of not.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If Jordo is available, he gets picked. He's the exact kind of player that Seattle would like to bring in and help build the culture around. And we'd miss the hell out of him if he went there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Staal is chosen with 0 doubt of not.

Yeah, Staal ain’t waiving and if he did, Francis would be ecstatic. Probably name him captain.

J Staal on a 2 x $6mil contract is exactly what you want for your expansion team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Also protecting Staal (or forwards in general) isn’t an issue for us. Sure, it would be nice to be able to protect Fast and Geekie but if that’s the caliber player you lose in expansion it’s not a huge loss (not that they aren’t good players).

Our issue is being able to protect only 3 dmen. We have to expose either Bean or Skjei. No magic trick to get out of that one.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Dougie doesn’t want anything to do with Toronto. I think you’ve brought this up on the main boards before and it was as wrong then as it is now.

He may go for the big payday but he’s done the big sports market in Boston and the Canadian market in Calgary with less than stellar media experience. I’m am sure all things equal or equal-ish he’s prefer to stay in Carolina with this core. It’s a very tight knit group over the last 3 years.

No I have not. I've been a Canes fan since they drafted Pitkänen and a HFBoards member before that. Regardless, of what you see in the joining date of my profile. Please do not make false assumptions based on that.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
No I have not. I've been a Canes fan since they drafted Pitkänen and a HFBoards member before that. Regardless, of what you see in the joining date of my profile. Please do not make false assumptions based on that.

My mistake then. There was a Dougie thread on the trade board and someone brought up the idea of going back to Toronto in the offseason and I thought it was the same username.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I still think Bean should be protected for the financial flexibility as well as the potential.

Skjei has looked good with Pesce, but so has Bean. So has Gardiner. Isn’t it better to save money on Pesce’s left if that’s the case?

I still think Geekie is a candidate to be picked even over Skjei. Young, cost control, righty, and center will be hard to find with these protection lists.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Right now, I think the right play is to protect Bean. Cost control and potential, exactly as Chrispy said.

Skjei is a very good player, and we will miss him, but the upside is we gain $5.25M in cap space. This will help us in re-signing Douglas. I keep going back and forth every 5 games if he will be worth the big money or not. But losing a more expensive D like Skjei makes it a little easier cap-wise to give a big contract out.

Honestly it may make sense to protect Geekie since he is cheaper and allow one of our pricier players to be picked.

Now that I've written this out, this is almost exactly what you are advocating, Chrispy. Kudos, Chrispy, kudos.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
The Dougie tag on Twitter is a fun read...full of longing and cap maneuvering strategies by both, fans and writers alike, about what it will take to snag him especially from Philly, NJ, Detroit and Winnipeg. Some seller's remorse comments from Flames and Bruins, too. Of course, the most liked is a tweet that has him starting on the top line for Toronto next season.

If he departs the Canes, looks like they need to start scraping together some cash:

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I see very solid arguments on both sides of the Bean/Skjei debate. I'm glad I'm not the one making that decision, since it ain't an easy one. In an ideal world we can pay them to take Gardiner and someone else we don't care about, but that cost to pay may be too high. I think regardless of how it happens, we're going to need to clear a fair amount of cap space on D this year. Either Dougie walks, Skjei is taken by Seattle, or we pay Seattle or someone else to take Gardiner's contract. I don't see how we could keep those 3 at their current salaries (Dougie's expected salary).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I see very solid arguments on both sides of the Bean/Skjei debate. I'm glad I'm not the one making that decision, since it ain't an easy one. In an ideal world we can pay them to take Gardiner and someone else we don't care about, but that cost to pay may be too high. I think regardless of how it happens, we're going to need to clear a fair amount of cap space on D this year. Either Dougie walks, Skjei is taken by Seattle, or we pay Seattle or someone else to take Gardiner's contract. I don't see how we could keep those 3 at their current salaries (Dougie's expected salary).
I'm very torn as well. Skjei this year has been pretty solid, yea he has his brain farts, but he's mobile and brings an edge we often lack (and you don't want to rely on JUST Hanky-Panky for this). He's the better player NOW, and we're potentially in a "cup window". Bean has shown flashes of his potential, but also showed he's 100% a rookie. Can he put it all together? Would we trust him in the top-4. If we're signing Doogie do we even need him...or just stick Sellgren/Keane on the 3rd pair in his place? Without cap considerations, I think Skjei gets a slight advantage...when you throw in cap though it's a bit muddier. If you can find a way to shed Gardiner, you can keep Skjei and let Bean go. If we're stuck with Gardiner (maybe Sellgren as filler when he's injured), yea kinda tough to sell keeping Skjei's cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad