Expansion Draft - Who do you protect?

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If possible it would be nice to get a D like Demers on a shorter term contract this summer. The expansion team will likely want players with term so if you could arrange it so he would be a UFA after a year on the expansion team they likely pass over him to pick someone with term or who will be an rfa at the end of their contract. Would almost be worth keeping Yakupov in hopes he could make a good sacrificial lamb.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
we are chasing our tails on this topic-until we know WHEN The draft will happen

if it is 2017 it helps the oilers--2018--we could be screwed

and that is before it is a one or two team expansion question is addressed

No team is going to be screwed losing their 9th or 11th best skater (depending on if it's 8 skaters or 7f and 3d) or backup goalie. Any GM worth their salt should be able to make up for that loss. They'll have the draft and all summer for that. Hell, even if every team loses 2 players.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
Oilers at the Expansion Draft

I apologize if this is already posted in here, I couldn't find it in the Oilers forum. With the recent rules being released, it gives a clear picture of who the Oilers will be able to protect/expose

F:

Protected (7):
Eberle
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Pouliot
Yakupov
Draisaitl
Maroon

Exempt:
McDavid

UFAs: No need to protect - would technically be exposed?
Hendricks
Korpikoski

Exposed:
Kassian F#1 for 40/70
Pakarinen F#2 for 40/70
Gazdic
Lander

D:

Protected (3):
Sekera
Klefbom
Davidson

UFAs:
Ference

Exempt:
Nurse - 2014/15 he only had 2 games as a pro, not enough to count to a year. SO he will only have 2 years experience. Can this be confirmed? According to Sportsbet: "Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that." Does 2014/15 count as his 19 year old season?

Exposed:
Fayne D for 40/70
Reinhart
Clendening
Oesterle

G:
Protected (1):
Talbot

Exposed:
Brossoit

The way I see it, Reinhart is going to be the player being picked up. Unless he establishes a spot ahead of Davidson. It's very possible that Davidson would get passed over in the draft.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think we will have a better idea after the draft and FA as to who is protected/exposed. If we acquire a Dman they will protected and I'm guessing we bring in another forward, although Yak will prob be gone so that evens out. I agree that it will probably be one of Reinhart or Davidson although it's hard to say because are there 8 available Dmen that are better than those 2? Possibly. I have a hard time seeing them take Kassian given the location of the team.

Also, is there any info on how many of each position LV is allowed to take? Can they only take 8D? 10?

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
to early to tell

if we are serious about adding 2 d-men--that changes everything

also--is reinhart exampt? if not do you expose him considering the price we gave?

If we add 2 d-men then we will probably do the 8 players 1 goalie. Leaves Davidson unprotected and probably a guy like Pouliott

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The way I see it it'll be...

RNH, Eberle, Hall, Drai

Sekera, Klefbom, Reinhart, New D

Talbot

Exposed: Davidson, Pouliot, Maroon, Kassian

There's no way Reinhart gets exposed so close to giving up what they paid for him. Management hasn't given up on him that fast.

Obviously those eight will change with trades this summer, but I think we go the 4/4 format if we're fixing the defense this summer.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The way I see it it'll be...

RNH, Eberle, Hall, Drai

Sekera, Klefbom, Reinhart, New D

Talbot

Exposed: Davidson, Pouliot, Maroon, Kassian

There's no way Reinhart gets exposed so close to giving up what they paid for him. Management hasn't given up on him that fast.

Obviously those eight will change with trades this summer, but I think we go the 4/4 format if we're fixing the defense this summer.

It will have been two years since acquiring him by the time the expansion draft rolls around. That's more than enough time to make a decision on him. If he hasn't established himself as a surefire NHL d-man by that point you can bet you're ass they'll expose him. And no one will bother thinking twice about claiming him. If he has established himself as a legit player, than you could be right.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I posted this in the trade rumour thread. Deserves to be here.

Lets at least wait until after free agency this year first? Our list could change dramatically in around 30 days from now.

Build this team for next year and not worry about 2017 expansion draft. We will lose one player, to fret about that now, when we dont even have a clue what we have next year makes 0 sense to me.

Way to early for this thread.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Lets at least wait until after free agency this year first? Our list could change dramatically in around 30 days from now.

Build this team for next year and not worry about 2017 expansion draft. We will lose one player, to fret about that now, when we dont even have a clue what we have next year makes 0 sense to me.

You're right and you're wrong.

You need to plan for what you lose because its an addition to what you're spending in terms of trade assets.

One thing that should be mentioned is whoever we add via free agency this summer does not get a NMC clause unless they're considered a permanent replacement of any of RNH/Hall/Eberle/Drai.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You're right and you're wrong.

You need to plan for what you lose because its an addition to what you're spending in terms of trade assets.

One thing that should be mentioned is whoever we add via free agency this summer does not get a NMC clause unless they're considered a permanent replacement of any of RNH/Hall/Eberle/Drai.

Your losing a bottom 6 or bottom 4 dman. So no you don't plan on what your losing. 1 player, new free agent crop next summer, maybe new trade demands. Build this team for next season not next seasons expansion draft. If who we bring in costs assets we will be protecting them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've participated in this threads, but it feels a bit hollow since we don't know what the team will be like a year from now. The team will be very different after the draft and free agency, and the players will get a whole season in between to show why they should be protected or not.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your losing a bottom 6 or bottom 4 dman. So no you don't plan on what your losing. 1 player, new free agent crop next summer, maybe new trade demands. Build this team for next season not next seasons expansion draft. If who we bring in costs assets we will be protecting them.

What did Griffin Reinhart cost?

If you add too many new players, you push better players out of protection. With at least one defenseman being added this summer, we essentially have to go 4/4 unless our GM is fine with saying 'screw development' and pulling the plug on Reinhart so soon after acquiring him.

With this draft in mind I'd think we see one of the $6m guys shopped for a solid D addition. A combination of Yakupov, Pouliot, some of our prospects and picks shopped for a helpful forward worthy of protection, preferably on a short-term contract. Then add what you will via UFA, NMCs removed. We may or may not trade back at the draft.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
You figure if Vegas happens it will be in our division. Hopefully its a team we can pick easy points off of and actually help our playoff chances.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
You figure if Vegas happens it will be in our division. Hopefully its a team we can pick easy points off of and actually help our playoff chances.

And here I was worried Vegas would get good players and make us their b****.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I don't think it is too early for this thread you can make educated deductions and while I don't think we should plan all our actions in great fear of the expansion draft as it would be difficult to only offer crap options to an expansion team without compromising our team quality, we also shouldn't pay a heavy price to acquire pieces that we realistically can't protect in the expansion draft. Much the same way grabbing Shattenkirk seems like a great idea based on the qualities of the player, but if we can't realistically extend him we shouldn't be paying that heavy price and the same is now true for acquiring players with term that we will logically have to be exposed in the expansion draft.

Also while it seems highly likely that it will only be Vegas getting a team from everything I've read I've yet to read a point blank statement confirming that Quebec won't be getting a team as well.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don't think it is too early for this thread you can make educated deductions and while I don't think we should plan all our actions in great fear of the expansion draft as it would be difficult to only offer crap options to an expansion team without compromising our team quality, we also shouldn't pay a heavy price to acquire pieces that we realistically can't protect in the expansion draft. Much the same way grabbing Shattenkirk seems like a great idea based on the qualities of the player, but if we can't realistically extend him we shouldn't be paying that heavy price and the same is now true for acquiring players with term that we will logically have to be exposed in the expansion draft.

Also while it seems highly likely that it will only be Vegas getting a team from everything I've read I've yet to read a point blank statement confirming that Quebec won't be getting a team as well.

We will lose 1 player though. If we Aquire pieces we are going to lose pieces and still only give up 1 player.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We will lose 1 player though. If we Aquire pieces we are going to lose pieces and still only give up 1 player.

Yes and the more quantity we add in the off-season, the better quality available outside the protection.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Sounds like GM's even have different opinions on it :)

“Teams are going to want to move contracts with the expansion draft coming,” said one Western Conference executive. “I think you’re going to see a lot of moves.”

Not so fast, say a couple of others.

“You’ve still got to play next year,” said an Eastern executive. “You can worry about the expansion draft in 12 months. I just don’t see the movement everybody is predicting. Worry about playing this year and then worry about an expansion team coming in.

“Teams still have to win next year and they can’t spend their time worrying about what they might lose to Las Vegas a full year before it happens.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/06/11/nhl-trade-talk-should-heat-up-as-cup-final-nears-end

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Sounds like that Eastern executive has a team that has cup aspirations, cause if you think you can win a cup you just build the strongest team possible and deal with the fallout after the fact, try to make last minute moves to clean up the mess, also winning teams generally have more coveted assets which makes them easier to move. If you are a rebuilding team that is trying to build your way up, you can't afford to be short-sighted, you have to play to the long game and put yourself in the best position possible to deal with the fallout before the expansion draft, when a lot of players could be changing hands and it will lend itself to reduced pricing on players due to the volume of names that will be available.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
So now with the team coming out locked and loaded, guns blazing to start the season, makes me ponder who will get snatched by Las Vegas in the summer. Which route does the Oilers take? Protect 7 forwards and 3D, or protect 8 players regardless of position?

If the Oilers chose the 7/3 route, they would most likely protect (McDavid and Jesse are exempt, and Russel/Hendricks/Gryba are UFA's):
Forwards: Lucic, Eberle, Draisaitl, Nuge, Kassian, Pouliot, Maroon
Defense: Klefbom, Larsson (Or Nurse), and Sekera (No choice due to NMC)
Exposed players: Nurse (Or Larsson), Lander, Letestu, Pitlick, Oesterle, Khaira, Brossoit

They would most definitely take the odd one out of Larsson/Nurse, which would amount an excessive amount of suck. Damn Sekera and that NMC

If the Oilers chose the 8 player/1 goalie route, they would most likely protect:
Players: Lucic, Eberle, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Talbot

Exposed Players: Maroon, Pouliot, Kassian, Lander, Letestu , Pitlick, Oesterle, Khaira, Brossoit

Vegas would probably steal either Kassian or Oesterle. Maroon is a UFA in 2018, or else he might've been picked.

Which route would you rather they take?
I think it's a no brainer that the 8 player route as opposed to the 7/3 route is definitely the way to go

I would rather protect Larsson/Nurse over Kassian/Oesterle

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
So now with the team coming out locked and loaded, guns blazing to start the season, makes me ponder who will get snatched by Las Vegas in the summer. Which route does the Oilers take? Protect 7 forwards and 3D, or protect 8 players regardless of position?

If the Oilers chose the 7/3 route, they would most likely protect (McDavid and Jesse are exempt, and Russel/Hendricks/Gryba are UFA's):
Exposed players: Nurse (Or Larsson), Lander, Letestu, Pitlick, Oesterle, Khaira, Brossoit

They would most definitely take the odd one out of Larsson/Nurse, which would amount an excessive amount of suck. Damn Sekera and that NMC

If the Oilers chose the 8 player/1 goalie route, they would most likely protect:
Players: Lucic, Eberle, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Talbot

Exposed Players: Maroon, Pouliot, Kassian, Lander, Letestu , Pitlick, Oesterle, Khaira, Brossoit

Vegas would probably steal either Kassian or Oesterle. Maroon is a UFC in 2018, or else he might've been picked.

I think it's a no brainer that the 8 player route as opposed to the 7/3 route is definitely the way to go

Nurse is exempt.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton

Vegas would probably steal either Kassian or Oesterle. Maroon is a UFA in 2018, or else he might've been picked.

Isn't Nurse exempt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad