News Article: Excerpts from Provorov's Interview to Match.tv

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Provorov’s Interview with Nataliya Vrublevskaya for match.tv

«Если смогу, обязательно приеду в сборную на чемпионат мира». «Матч ТВ» беседует с Проворовым и говорит о подвигах Радулова

This interview was published 4/3/2019

Provorov: I am used to playing 100 games in a season
Q: Most important question- how can one eat so much ice cream and remain in such a good shape?
A: (Laughs) my ice cream consumption is normal. I like trying different flavors. Just a few spoons here and there. I do not overdo and always keep myself in shape. But sometimes I spoil myself after the games.

Q: How did you manage to play 30 minutes per game for most of the season? Where do you get your strength?
A: I have trained 8-10 hours a day every summer for 2 months. That’s the foundation to my fitness that I then maintain throughout the season. Of course, some of my abilities are innate, but mostly it’s hard daily work. Every day you work to become better.

Q: Does it help that you had come to the North America at the age of 14 and have completely adapted to the NA style of hockey?
A: Of course. I have grown accustomed to the culture, language, people, and, of course, to smaller rinks. I had played 90-100 games per season since I was 14. It’s not a problem for me.

Q: You were crying last year when Flyers got eliminated in the first round of playoffs. How upset are you with this year result since your team did not reach playoffs at all?
A: It’s very upsetting. I still recall my last year’s emotions when we lost to Penguins, I played last few games with the trauma. We could have won that series- everything was in our hands. Incredible pity.
One has different emotions when the team is missing playoffs all together. It’s a season long sorrow due to losses and lack of something to win these games.

Q: Your +/- metric is one of the worst on the team. How would you explain this?
A: I do not consider “+/-“ to be a correct measure of the player’s efficiency. Sometimes you are on the ice, but you are far away from action. And despite working hard in all the zones and playing for about 30 minutes you get a -3 for a game. Your efficiency is negative, even though you were not even close to the situations. Conversely, it can happen otherwise- you may not participate in offense, but your “+/-“ is + 3. Also, there were a lot of empty net goals this season. That’s why I do not think that this metric explains my season.

Q: Could Philadelphia problems be explained by a change in the top leadership?
A: Of course. We had many changes. We had seriously underachieved in the first half of the season. We were not able to find our game. Then changes started and that was a very difficult period. We had to get used to the new coaches.
We started to level of in the end of January, we improved our playing level. We scored a lot of goals and won a lot of games. We had a very good record from January to April.
When the team is playing on a higher level everything falls in place- points, goals, and victories.
Otherwise, the scoring drops. I am not the player that would pad his own statistics. I am doing my job of helping the team in any way I can.

Q: What can you say about the young goalie- Carter Hart?
A: The high level players do not need to waste time in the AHL. They are ready when they are ready. Hart is an excellent goalkeeper and a remarkable guy. Most importantly, he continues working and learning. He will reach the level of on of the best goalkeepers in the NHL.

Q: How do you react to these frustrating times?
A: I just try focusing on my game. Continue doing my job. What else can I do?

Q: Who was your most favorite player?
A: Datsyuk

Q: But he is a forward.
A: He is most excellent on defense as well. One can learn something from every hockey player. Also, Nick Lidstrem, Sergey Gonchar, Sergey Zubov.

Q: If you were betting money, who would you bet for to win the Stanley Cup?
A: I do not gamble. I would single out either Tampa or Washington. They both are very strong teams.

Q: What are your off- season plans?
A: First, a vacation with the family. Then training in July- August in Russia

Q: What about wedding?
A: Not this summer.

Q: Does your girlfriend attend your away games?
A: Mostly local games. She lives in New York and comes to support me when she has an opportunity.

Q: Does she work?
A: She is still studying for a PR manager.

Q: This was your last ELC season. Are you upset with results? Are you preoccupied with the new contract?
A: I do not feel any pressure. I play hockey because I love the game, not for money or salary. Everything has its time. I have been focusing on the game only for the entire season.

Q: How do you see your future?
A: I love Philadelphia; love the team, the organization. We have bright future and I am very comfortable here. God willing, I would spend my entire career here.

Q: And ice-cream is excellent here.
A: Exactly!

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We need to include a lifetime supply of his favorite brands of ice cream in his new contract!

"The high level players do not need to waste time in the AHL."

This is a distinction that many fans fail to make about prospects.
If Rubtsov is healthy and picks up where he left off, he'll be in Philly by January.
Vorobyev and Bunnaman, on the other hand, needs to improve their skating, because they're not "high level."

High level guys jump out at you when you see them play, like Provorov from his first games with the Flyers.

Reactions: Alex K

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I do wonder if the minutes they are giving him is part of the problem. Defense is largely a mental position. Just cause a guy is physically able to play those minuets doesn’t mean he is mentally able to play those minutes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Didn't bother him his first two years.
I wonder if it's about the stick, and Provorov trying to become more of an offensive player, and struggling to integrate more aggressive play with the puck with his defense.

It sounds like he wants to stay, and isn't worried about the money on his new deal.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Q: What can you say about the young goalie- Carter Hart?
A: The high level players do not need to waste time in the AHL. They are ready when they are ready.

1qtXisT.gif

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I would love to see an episode of Doug Pederson and Provorov going around taste testing ice creams. Like health inspectors with score cards, ranking the different metrics of the flavors. Then for a twist, they relate what they are experiencing to their sports, and attempt to explain stuff to the viewers as if no one else has ever eaten ice cream before, John Madden levels of in-depth explanation.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Q: How do you see your future?
A: I love Philadelphia; love the team, the organization. We have bright future and I am very comfortable here. God willing, I would spend my entire career here.

Q: And ice-cream is excellent here.
A: Exactly!

Give this man another scoop, for whatever reason I feel like he is more genuine than the average athlete, and I hope he is here for the long haul.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He's an android, programming had a glitch this season, but the programmers should have him up and running next season.

His workout regime is in the Jerry Rice class, this is what they mean by "work ethic."
With his dedication I can easily see him play in the NHL until 40. He'll be a great role model for younger players later.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
8-10 hours of training...per day. Good lord.
I’ve done some backpacking and we hiked about 8-12 hours a day (depending on the difficulty of the trail and location) for 10-12 days... let me tell you something... I didn’t get out of bed for 3 whole days. I was in a cocoon in my bed for that entire time besides the eventual bathroom break and shower.

Luckily, my girlfriend didn’t go so she was able to bring me snacks. If not, I would’ve been pretty hungry since I wasn’t getting up.

Idk how Provorov trains like that and expects his body to be 100%. Kid is a machine.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Love Provy.

I’ve done some backpacking and we hiked about 8-12 hours a day (depending on the difficulty of the trail and location) for 10-12 days... let me tell you something... I didn’t get out of bed for 3 whole days. I was in a cocoon in my bed for that entire time besides the eventual bathroom break and shower.

Luckily, my girlfriend didn’t go so she was able to bring me snacks. If not, I would’ve been pretty hungry since I wasn’t getting up.

Idk how Provorov trains like that and expects his body to be 100%. Kid is a machine.

I agree. That’s too much. MAYBE if that includes passing and shooting drills. Skating drills etc. but 8-10 hours of working out is obviously going to do more harm.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Love Provy.

I agree. That’s too much. MAYBE if that includes passing and shooting drills. Skating drills etc. but 8-10 hours of working out is obviously going to do more harm.
I remember posting his workout once. I could be wrong, but it was like 2 hours of cardio, 4 hours of gym time, more cardio, then other stuff.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad