Post-Game Talk: [EX6] Canucks defeat Flames | 3-1 (Myers, Blueger, & PDG)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What is this win music?

I want my old song back

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I know it's waaay too early, but imagine if Lekk comes over at the end of this season and finds chemistry next to Miller and PDG. That shot with the other two playmaking could be deadly.

Can we loan Boeser's cap hit to Europe in exchange?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Time to flip over to the last minutes of this CFL game and see what all the hype in here was about.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Impressive win. Completely shot Calgary down, forced so many turnovers at their blueline as they simply couldn’t transition the puck. If we can do that in the regular season it bodes well.

Soucy injury is obviously a major concern.

PDG looks like a legit 2nd liner. Probably the best overall forward in preseason.

Juulsen looked better as the game went along. Seems like they’ll be keeping him.

Blueger looks great.

Game 1 can’t come soon enough.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Biggest thing is hoping Soucy is okay.

No real passengers tonight. Everyone pulled their weight. Some of our big guns are still shaking off the rust / getting their timing back, but the support players came through to provide the offense.

Reactions: arttk and Ozone

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Good game from the regular season lineup. Flames might be slower than we are, I wouldn't put them in a different league from us based on this game; they didn't seem very engaged tonight and zone exits were horrendous. Soucy injury might be a huge factor.

Pettersson line quiet, just ok. Don't see anything really different from his play but notable that Kuzmenko has done pretty much nothing in the preseason, might see an over-regression this year just from misfortune.

Miller line was dominant. Didn't give up much, won puck battles, had PDG looking like an all star. Brock worried me in the first half that he wasn't looking to shoot, got some good glances later.

Bottom 6 was fantastic, mostly due to the beefed up C position. Suter just keeps working and got a lot of space with Joshua pushing guys around. Blueger looks like a guy who wants to be extended ASAP, key on the PK and getting quick offence. Aman and Studnicka held their bargain well.

Hughes-Hronek ended up looking fine, but might not be ideal given the Soucy injury and testing our depth. Hronek notably takes some pretty risky passing lanes in his own zone but otherwise is really quick to the puck and in position.

Cole-Myers worked better than expected. Like a peaceful robot taming the chaos giraffe. Just smart and steady play from Cole, Myers didn't look like he was in trouble this game.

Not the best game from Juulsen-Soucy. Soucy got turnstiled on a few plays but you know he can play better based on last game and the potential injury is worrying for our vaunted "good start". You like Juulsen's physical play, just hope he can keep the ship steady to remain a regular.

Demko is ready.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Main takeaway tonight was...i don't like Hughes-Hronek together. Thought Hronek played his weakest game of the preseason. It just doesn't make sense either. It's clearly not maximizing what Hronek can do when flexed out to that other pairing. Neither of them is particularly adept at breaking up the cycle or disrupting plays that way either. They're both "defend with the puck" sort of guys. Just find a f***ing partner for Hughes and split these two so you can roll two strong pairings.

And that's even in a game where Myers actually looked decent stepping into that second pairing sort of role. But still all over the place and consistency-wise, you can't expect that you be sustainable night after night.

PDG is really just a solid glue guy who makes that JT-Boeser duo work. He makes up for a lot of what they don't do, and they make up for a little bit of the offensive sense he doesn't necessarily have at the same level. It works. Hope he can keep it up.

Bluegers playing with guys like Aman and Studnicka who all just play a direct, responsible game doesn't seem like a recipe for offense, but if they can just keep the puck hemmed in the other end, grind away and get a few bounces...that's a recipe for success in an "energy line". Call it 3a/3b whatever...that looks like it could be effective.

Counterpunch that with Suter and spillover offensive guys, and i think you've got a pivot who can do enough little things to make that viable as a 3a/3b "scoring line". He's aware enough defensively to come out of softer minutes pretty well with some good winger support.

Hopefully the Soucy thing isn't serious. He was looking really confident and assertive tonight, right up until he unfortunately got tangled up in a weird puck battle.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Not basing Calgarys performance on one game,….but they were coughing pucks up left and right in the neutral zone.
It looked like, to me, that some of their top guys have been playing so much preseason, they put in minimal effort tonight.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, it's pre-season, and there have been a few hiccups, but this game showed me that the players themselves are confident with the structure that the coaches are implementing.

Calgary is no slouch, a team with some talent, and we were able to frustrate them consistently. I feel better than I did yesterday about the team. I'll feel even better if Soucy's injury is minor. Blueger is a win.

Reactions: Ozone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad