Post-Game Talk: [EX4] Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-2 (Hughes(2), Kuzmenko, Pettersson, & Di Giuseppe)

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I’m interested to see how Myers does with Soucy. Myers has gotten his best results when he’s had more opportunity to push the play offensively, and he’s always had poor results defensively, particularly off the rush. Soucy’s strengths complement Myers’ weaknesses at least in theory.

That said, it only really makes sense if Soucy can also pick up extra shifts beside Hughes, since you want the team’s four best defenders getting the most ice time. Some of that should happen naturally with Soucy PKing and Hughes QBing the PP.

Agreed - in theory, Cole-Hronek and Soucy-Myers are solid second and third pairings on a true contending team.

Soucy and Cole getting the main PK minutes along with Hughes and then Hughes and Hronek running the two PP units probably gets ice-time to a point where those four are the top-4.

The problem is with Hughes' partner. McWard getting this look is a great development, but even if Soucy is picking up a couple off-side shifts, that's still a big hole and makes it hard to maximize your franchise defenseman.

Reactions: Indiana and bh53

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Kind of funny the overaction to some pretty soft criticisms of the preseason play.

Hope they're able to play a bit more like everyone hoped they would.

I know, crazy thinking for the preseason.

Reactions: Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Edit wrong forum
That’s not your first time :laugh:

Kind of funny the overaction to some pretty soft criticisms of the preseason play.

Hope they're able to play a bit more like everyone hoped they would.

I know, crazy thinking for the preseason.
To be very honest with you , Quat. I think a lot of people just really fear our poor starts the past two season. I think that’s why there’s more over exaggerations this year.

Reactions: hellstick

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
for some reason HF booted me out on mobile - now i can't find the sign in screen anywhere on mobile ???

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
That’s not your first time :laugh:

To be very honest with you , Quat. I think a lot of people just really fear our poor starts the past two season. I think that’s why there’s more over exaggerations this year.
My post was poking fun at posters getting overly anxious that fans were being too hard on the team when the real season hadn't started.

Finally hockey starts up and apparently it's better not to discuss the games. until the real losing begins!

Reactions: Play

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Seems like Hughes can make anyone not Myers work.

I mean yes, but you're simply not throwing out Hughes and McWard as a match-up pairing over 82 games. It'll fall on Cole-Hronek and potentially Soucy-Myers before that pairing in terms of tough defensive match-ups, which I have no clue if it'll work, nor does anyone else. Hronek effectively broke out after he was minute sheltered by Seider and the rest is a shot in the dark.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Something to consider.

In 2021/22 the Coyotes went 5-1 in preseason and then proceeded to lose the first 11 games of the season.

The same season the Avalanche went 2-4 in the preseason. Then went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean yes, but you're simply not throwing out Hughes and McWard as a match-up pairing over 82 games. It'll fall on Cole-Hronek and potentially Soucy-Myers before that pairing in terms of tough defensive match-ups, which I have no clue if it'll work, nor does anyone else. Hronek effectively broke out after he was minute sheltered by Seider and the rest is a shot in the dark.
I think Cole - Hronek is the matchup pair and Hughes is the we are going to try to score on you pair.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think Cole - Hronek is the matchup pair and Hughes is the we are going to try to score on you pair.

Agreed that seems to be Tocchet’s mindset as well. I also think Soucy-Myers won’t really be viewed as a traditional third pair and you’ll end up seeing them quite a bit.

Reactions: bh53 and arttk

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The thing about Hughes is that his possession and ability to tilt the ice automatically makes him effective at “match ups”, which is why I think we’ll need to run Hughes-Cole/Soucy eventually if we don’t acquire a real RHD, similar to how we ran Hughes-Schenn.

Tocchet needs to try Hughes-Cole/Soucy in real minutes in this preseason before it’s too late

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad